429 replies to this topic

#81 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,358 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:13 AM

I was impressed with all the popups last night. The Yankees could not square up on anything, even if they were getting the bat on it (only 4 K's). Fantastic outing from Matusz, and hopefully signs of more to come.

#82 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:19 AM

I was impressed with all the popups last night. The Yankees could not square up on anything, even if they were getting the bat on it (only 4 K's). Fantastic outing from Matusz, and hopefully signs of more to come.

Even their hits weren't impressive, for the most part.

2 infield hits, a bloop and a soft liner or 4 of the hits.

#83 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,372 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:14 PM

That is always going to be his game. It's a slight margin for error, and why he'd be most effective in a spacious park like Petco, so that those occasional 340 foot fly balls he gives up would stay in the park, but like some of us have said all through last year. HE IS NO BUST.

I can't even explain my irritation with people talking about how terrible he is and how he's such a bust all offseason because it just shows that they don't REALLY understand the little things.

Glad he's getting it back together and it's no coincidence he's averaging an extra 3mph on his FB this season, but I find it interesting that he ALSO added 3mph to his best pitch (change) instead of gaining more of a difference between the two.
@JeremyMStrain

#84 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,674 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 07:02 PM

Need a strong outing from Matusz tomorrow against Texas.

#85 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 06 May 2012 - 10:28 PM

Tough matchup for any lefty.

#86 Oriole85

Oriole85

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26,321 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:01 PM

Tough matchup for any lefty.

Silver lining, the bullpen could've been taxed more. Seeing the guys from Sunday's marathon game get rest should a long way considering the stretch they have to play without a break.
@levineps

#87 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,358 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 12:38 PM

Yeah if not for the 17-inning game Sunday, Matusz wouldn't have had the chance to give up all those runs in the 5th. As it was, they needed to leave him out there to avoid the main cogs of the bullpen after the stressful weekend.

The results for Matusz were awful yesterday, but the stuff was great at times. I'd be interested to see his release point plot from yesterday's start. I imagine it was all over the place. Seems like those problems will likely keep popping up for him from time to time this season, but after his two starts before last night, I'm not as down on him as I was after his first couple. He just really needs to be smart with his mechanics and try to be as consistent as possible. Things go to hell when he starts getting all herky jerky.

#88 ravens8589

ravens8589

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,306 posts

Posted 08 May 2012 - 01:52 PM

Yeah if not for the 17-inning game Sunday, Matusz wouldn't have had the chance to give up all those runs in the 5th. As it was, they needed to leave him out there to avoid the main cogs of the bullpen after the stressful weekend.

The results for Matusz were awful yesterday, but the stuff was great at times. I'd be interested to see his release point plot from yesterday's start. I imagine it was all over the place. Seems like those problems will likely keep popping up for him from time to time this season, but after his two starts before last night, I'm not as down on him as I was after his first couple. He just really needs to be smart with his mechanics and try to be as consistent as possible. Things go to hell when he starts getting all herky jerky.

I honestly won't put too much weight on yesterdays start because it is Texas, they can beat up on any pitcher in this league and the fact they had to leave him out there because of the bullpen. Defense certainly didn't help so I'll hold out hope the next start goes a bit smoother.
@Langley486

#89 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,674 posts

Posted 11 May 2012 - 09:05 PM

25 year old Brian Matusz makes his 59th career Major League start tomorrow, vs. soon to be 23 year old Matt Moore, who will be making his 8th career start.

#90 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:33 PM

Fastball command seemed to be the best it's been all year tonight...67% strike%.

Defense let him down again and, per usual, there were a few bs hits off of him.

Good start tonight although he shouldn't have pitched to Scott and certainly shouldnt have thrown him a fastball on that last pitch. Poor decision and pitch selection.

#91 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,674 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 08:04 AM

ESPN Sweetspot: Matusz's example might teach Moore
http://espn.go.com/b...ght-teach-moore

#92 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,674 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:54 AM

Matusz back on the mound today vs. KC. Very strong vs. NY, beat up by Texas, and got the win vs. Tampa Bay (even though his defense let him down).

Would like to see him go 7 innings for the first time today.

#93 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,372 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 17 May 2012 - 08:59 AM

Matusz back on the mound today vs. KC. Very strong vs. NY, beat up by Texas, and got the win vs. Tampa Bay (even though his defense let him down).

Would like to see him go 7 innings for the first time today.

I dunno if you are ever going to see that from him, but I'm willing to bet you won't before Roberts comes back for sure.

He doesn't trust his defense (and doesn't induce GB with his FB) so he nibbles, sets up and tries to strike out everyone. That's why his pitch counts get so high and why he hasn't been doing much better than the 6th. If he would use his defense for 5-6 of those 18 hitters you could see him hit the 8th on a good night, but when you give up a ton of flyballs you don't really want to use your OF defense in Camden Yards, and his change is more of a swing and miss pitch. The CV is really the closest GB pitch he has, and would YOU trust this INF defense???
@JeremyMStrain

#94 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,674 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 04:49 PM

Matusz grabbed his 3rd win today, going 6 ip, allowing 7 hits, 3 er, 1 bb, with 2 k's.
In his 98 pitches, he threw 68 strikes. KC hitters hit 11 grounders against him.

#95 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 17 May 2012 - 10:24 PM

Only one swinging strike today...but his strike% was 69%, which is excellent.

I heard Manfra make reference to Jones being very lackadaisical going after the 2 run double..should he have caught it?

#96 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 17 May 2012 - 11:46 PM

Only one swinging strike today...but his strike% was 69%, which is excellent.

I heard Manfra make reference to Jones being very lackadaisical going after the 2 run double..should he have caught it?

I don;t think he was being lackadaisical but Jones plays a rather shallow CF and isn't particularly great at going back on balls straight over his head. A good, rangy CFer catches it, or at the very least has a play on it.

#97 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,674 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 07:53 AM

Matusz’s 5.36 era (4.36 FIP) still does not look attractive, but there have been good signs from him. If Matusz can win tonight, he can get back to .500 at 4-4. In his last two outings, he has gone 11.2 ip, allowing 14 hits, 5 er, 1 hr, 2 bb’s, with 7 k’s, and 22 grounders. Matusz did not face Boston in Boston earlier this Month.

#98 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,674 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:10 PM

Matusz was awesome tonight. 6.1ip, 2 hits, 1 er, 1 hr, with 1 bb, and 9 k's.

#99 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,294 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:13 PM

Matusz was awesome tonight. 6.1ip, 2 hits, 1 er, 1 hr, with 1 bb, and 9 k's.

Great curve! I just hope he can be consistently good.

#100 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 22 May 2012 - 08:14 PM

66% str%...18% swingingstr%...1bb...lots of grounded.

Still gave up a homer but gotta love those peripherals.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=