#141 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:01 PM

I missed BMat tonight...listening on the radio, Angel said he looked lost, like last year.

In a way, I'm glad this outing happened. BMat was so messed up between the ears last year that I want to see how he responds to a terrible outing like this one. Does he let it get to him or shrug it off as a bad start amongst many good ones?

He looked awful. Just unable to find the strike zone, though I didn't watch close enough to notice anything about velocity.

#142 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,268 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 08:59 PM

Velocity was good. Fastball was good but location was inconsistent. Could not get any secondaries over for strikes until a couple of curves in the 2nd inning. Looked like he did early in the season. Lost, all over the place, and no feel for his secondaries. Absolutely does not know how to make adjustments in game when it's not working. Pitiful performance. Took his team right out of the game from the get go.

#143 bnickle

bnickle

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 38,177 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 10:17 PM

As I said in the game thread these are the games why I can;t trust Matusz. Now, granted he's been pretty consistent the last month or so but these brutal outings really feel like they will pop up sooner or later. I trust him more on a start to start basis than Arrieta but he's clearly not completely turned the corner.

#144 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,339 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 02:56 PM

WBAL's Casey Willett reports, "Brian Matusz hit a foul ball during batting practice that came back and hit him in nose. Waiting to see doctor."

#145 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:06 PM

WBAL's Casey Willett reports, "Brian Matusz hit a foul ball during batting practice that came back and hit him in nose. Waiting to see doctor."

I don't think I've ever heard of that happening... your own foul ball hits you in the nose?

Does it happen to position players too or just pitchers?

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#146 Coker

Coker

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,553 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:12 PM

I just...I just don't even know what to say.

#147 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:20 PM

I just...I just don't even know what to say.

Sounds like the kind of thing that would've happened to poor ole Hayden Penn ;-)

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

#148 Chris B

Chris B

• Moderators
  • 22,244 posts
  • LocationBaltimore, MD

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:24 PM

Britt is sayign that it's possible he misses his next start.

#149 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:27 PM

It happened during a bunting drill. I can only imagine the ball hit the top edge of the bat and popped him a good one.

See kids...this is what happens when you don't know how to bunt properly. I hope Xavier Avery is paying attention..

#150 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,994 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 03:32 PM

It happened during a bunting drill. I can only imagine the ball hit the top edge of the bat and popped him a good one.

See kids...this is what happens when you don't know how to bunt properly. I hope Xavier Avery is paying attention..

Could it be because he had the bat at the proper angle? If he had it too flat, it wouldn't bounce that way.

I can see how maybe if the bat was angled right, and if he was leaning over to see the ball, well, maybe that could create the conditions for this to happen. Never heard of it before though...

#151 LanceRinker

LanceRinker

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,736 posts
  • LocationPlano, TX

Posted 12 June 2012 - 04:00 PM

Could it be because he had the bat at the proper angle? If he had it too flat, it wouldn't bounce that way.

I can see how maybe if the bat was angled right, and if he was leaning over to see the ball, well, maybe that could create the conditions for this to happen. Never heard of it before though...

Yeah, it's one of those crazy things. When I played in middle school and my freshman year of high school I had a few 'quick' foul balls come off the bat and smack me in the face or on top of my helmet because I misjudged the plane of the ball and then didn't level my bat out properly.

You wouldn't think it possible but it is - you just never see it at any professional level because guys are supposed to know how to level the bat properly.

#152 DJ MC

DJ MC

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,680 posts
  • LocationBeautiful Bel Air, MD

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:02 PM

Same thing happened to Burnett this spring. Remember how the media ate it up?

Gee, if only there was some way to prevent pitchers from being put into situations where they are unnecessarily at-risk with essentially no chance for reward?

#153 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,380 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 12 June 2012 - 09:22 PM

Yeah, it's one of those crazy things. When I played in middle school and my freshman year of high school I had a few 'quick' foul balls come off the bat and smack me in the face or on top of my helmet because I misjudged the plane of the ball and then didn't level my bat out properly.

You wouldn't think it possible but it is - you just never see it at any professional level because guys are supposed to know how to level the bat properly.

You'd be AMAZED how much bunting instruction gets glossed over by some coaches. I remember my first year of JUCO the first day of practice and not 1 of the first 6 guys (all returning) could get a bunt down. I used to spend a good 30 min a day doing NOTHING but bunting on hitting days, so I was placing them, first, third, killing it at the plate, pushing it out past the pitcher. I ended up running bunting drills for the rest of the season.
@JeremyMStrain

#154 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 13 June 2012 - 02:42 PM

Matusz not starting tonight but appears likely to start on Friday in Atlanta.

EDIT: He will start on Friday.

Matusz on start moved to Friday "Woke up this morning & felt good. I feel good enough to go but we feel it is best 2 give it extra days

#155 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:46 PM

For the second time this year, Buck hurts Matusz by clearly leaving him in too long.

#156 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,268 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:55 PM

For the second time this year, Buck hurts Matusz by clearly leaving him in too long.

I love how Matusz becomes the victim. Matusz hurt everyone but not getting it done. He was lucky to have given up one run up until the 6th. He walked the bases loaded one inning. He give up a homer to a rookie with little power. Matusz let Buck down, not the other way around. Buck let us down for not PH for Matusz in the top of the 6th. Asking your pitcher to give you six is not asking too much of that pitcher.

#157 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 June 2012 - 09:58 PM

I love how Matusz becomes the victim. Matusz hurt everyone but not getting it done. He was lucky to have given up one run up until the 6th. He walked the bases loaded one inning. He give up a homer to a rookie with little power. Matusz let Buck down, not the other way around. Buck let us down for not PH for Matusz in the top of the 6th. Asking your pitcher to give you six is not asking too much of that pitcher.

Buck shoud have pinch hit for him. He then shouldn't have let him throw 30 pitches in the 6th inning, in a game which he labored. Yes, the onus is on BMat to get the job done but it's on Buck to make sure he is in a position to succeed....they both failed.
  • BSLChrisStoner likes this

#158 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,268 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:01 PM

Buck shoud have pinch hit for him. He then shouldn't have let him throw 30 pitches in the 6th inning, in a game which he labored. Yes, the onus is on BMat to get the job done but it's on Buck to make sure he is in a position to succeed....they both failed.

Suppose it's an AL game with a DH and the O's are up 2-1 going to the sixth. When do you pull Matusz?

#159 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:05 PM

Suppose it's an AL game with a DH and the O's are up 2-1 going to the sixth. When do you pull Matusz?

I would have pulled him after Heyward, even though he k'ed him. He was obviously laboring and was leaving the ball up. And I sure as hell wouldn't have had him facing Bourne.

#160 SportsGuy

SportsGuy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 91,979 posts
  • LocationBaltimore

Posted 15 June 2012 - 10:08 PM

And RZ, I say if Davis doesn't make that great catch, that BMat doesnt go that deep in the inning. That was a loud and lucky out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=