#421 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 24 May 2016 - 03:46 PM

They wanted the draft pick.  They basically gave up 3 million to get the pick.

They seemingly value the picks and the minor league system, far more than we do.

I get that, but that wasn't my point. 

#422 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 24 May 2016 - 03:48 PM

I bet Matusz gets a better offer, but if he doesn't, then the O's oughta try to sign him to be a MiL SP.... give him the rest of the year to remember what he knew how to do before the O's screwed him up in the first place...

Some people are gonna cringe but I wouldn't be surprised if we offered him a Mil deal. If he actually can get a ML offer at this point is another matter. I'm skeptical.

#423 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,473 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 24 May 2016 - 04:45 PM

Fairly certain Matusz wouldn't come back and possibly even asked for this trade quietly. Know he wasn't happy here.

#424 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,558 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 05:24 PM

Fairly certain Matusz wouldn't come back and possibly even asked for this trade quietly. Know he wasn't happy here.

He didn't mind our money. I doubt he wasn't happy here but I do believe he's looking for a change of scenery as he should.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#425 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 24 May 2016 - 08:52 PM

Palmer just called him stubborn. Won't listen to his pitching coaches. Is Matusz the guy that supposedly called Palmers career nothing special?

#426 Russ

Russ

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,296 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 09:24 PM

Palmer just called him stubborn. Won't listen to his pitching coaches. Is Matusz the guy that supposedly called Palmers career nothing special?

I always assumed that was Guthrie.

I'm not doubting Palmer, but there have been numerous opportunities to dump Matusz the last three years and it wasn't done. It made me think Matusz was a nugget.

#427 CA-ORIOLE

CA-ORIOLE

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,323 posts
  • LocationSOCAL

Posted 24 May 2016 - 09:45 PM

I always assumed that was Guthrie. I'm not doubting Palmer, but there have been numerous opportunities to dump Matusz the last three years and it wasn't done. It made me think Matusz was a nugget.

Wow. I always thought it was either Matusz or Tillman. Didn't suspect Guthrie.

#428 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,558 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 06:39 AM

Yeah that's not something you'd ever expect Guthrie to say. That was Matusz all the way and even if it was him I am guessing it was a joke that went over Palmer's head. Can't expect any MLB'er to say something that totally stupid.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#429 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 25 May 2016 - 11:08 AM

Palmer was and is my favorite pitcher of all time, but Jim has always been self centered.  I have heard that nothing special comment before and thought it was Guthrie, but it also could have been Jim, getting himself in the story.

Have a hard time seeing any pitcher say that about a HOFer.  

@mikeghg

#430 RShack

RShack

Fair-weather ex-diehard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,993 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 04:31 PM

Palmer was and is my favorite pitcher of all time, but Jim has always been self centered.  I have heard that nothing special comment before and thought it was Guthrie, but it also could have been Jim, getting himself in the story.

Have a hard time seeing any pitcher say that about a HOFer.  

I can imagine somebody saying that when they were goofing around... kinda like telling Boog he had an ugly swing.... or telling Eddie that his eyes were no good, he couldn't tell a ball from a strike... or telling Cal that he was always looking for a way to take a day off... 

When you're talking about a guy who won 3 CYA's in 4 years, had 8 20-W seasons, and has his choice of WS rings from 3 decades to choose from when he gets dressed in the morning, it's the only uncrazy explanation...

"The only change is that baseball has turned Paige from a second-class citizen to a second-class immortal." - Satchel Paige

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=