#1681 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,428 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 19 May 2024 - 11:36 PM

I don't want to trade Holliday, but he was scary bad when he came up and would probably fetch a kings ransom if made available. Is there an argument for doing that if you go all in on a World Series this year?

They're going to have to do something..  There's plenty of ways to go, but everyone doesn't fit.

I think the problem with "a king's ransom" is that it doesn't exist.  You have to find a Team that wants him bad enough to give up [what, that would actually interest you].  This is like the Mason Miller discussion....because we're going to put him out there for all of these very reasonable deals....right?

We're winning so this doesn't really matter now and you could put some of this in another thread (OF one) but you have to figure out everyone.  Hays and Mullins probably aren't here next year.  Hang with them now or move them because there should be more than a couple teams (Phillies) that would love to buy low.

Do you want to move Holliday to CF?

Does Westburg look so good at 3B, you let Mayo play 1B or RF exclusively when he gets back? ...that means you're trading Mountcastle (1B) or Kjerstad (RF) in the offseason.

Whatever, you don't have to do it now, but they're going to have to do something before next year.

You wait out all your assets you turn them into nothing.

#1682 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,955 posts

Posted 20 May 2024 - 03:22 AM

So, this is purely hypothetical, but hear me out.

Gunnar is locked in at SS right now.
Westburg looks like the real thing.
Mayo has improved dramatically at 3B and also may have a future at 1st.
Norby could easily play 2nd and move Westburg to 3rd.

That doesn't even account for Holliday.

Someone has to get moved. I don't think it's anyone on the MLB roster.

I don't want to trade Holliday, but he was scary bad when he came up and would probably fetch a kings ransom if made available. Is there an argument for doing that if you go all in on a World Series this year?

This is purely hypothetical, and I want to be clear that I'm NOT suggesting they do anything specifically, nor am I down on any of those three players' futures. But, numbers are numbers and space is space. They can't all play. Each of them probably fetches you a different amount in return.

I'm not trading Holliday right now.

He'll have a place on this team in 2025 at the latest. For the record, Cowser was "scary bad" during his initial trial last year.

Meanwhile, Mateo has done a nice job while seizing the second base job. This team needs a high leverage reliever more than a kings ransom IMO.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#1683 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,957 posts

Posted 20 May 2024 - 07:52 AM

I'm not trading Holliday right now.

He'll have a place on this team in 2025 at the latest. For the record, Cowser was "scary bad" during his initial trial last year.

Meanwhile, Mateo has done a nice job while seizing the second base job. This team needs a high leverage reliever more than a kings ransom IMO.

That's fine. Who are you trading? Someone needs to be moved.

#1684 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,148 posts

Posted 20 May 2024 - 07:52 AM

Seems likely that somebody or two or three with a big future rep is going to be traded at some point.  What those names wind up being, only time will tell.  I'd bet that Gunnar and Adley are not going anywhere, and Holliday is almost as likely to not be going anywhere.  But at the same time, anything is possible...

At 29-15 I don't see anything happening imminently.  I'd expect Elias and company to wait it out until closer to the deadline to see where everything / everyone is trending.

#1685 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,955 posts

Posted 20 May 2024 - 09:46 AM

Probably Kjerstad & or Norby.
  • BSLSteveBirrer likes this
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#1686 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 20 May 2024 - 10:13 AM

For the last 2 years, I thought Mountcastle would be jettisoned to make room for a graduating infield prospect. My opinion had nothing to do with production. It was based on his seniority in the arbitration process. Simply put, he will cost more money, so he will be traded.

Then that terrible family sold to Rubenstein, and taking a machete to the payroll was no longer the primary objective.

It's hard not to project Mullins and Hays as the 2 most likely trade candidates, given inconsistency and that they're both free to walk after next season. They'll determine their trade value by how they perform this year. But I think it would be a leap of faith, or the FO's superior baseball intellect (compared to mine) for them to commit to both/either player.    

• Slidemaster likes this

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#1687 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,078 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 20 May 2024 - 10:28 AM

I mean if we're entertaining a big swing in a trade I think the natural catcher in an organization who already has an excellent catcher is worth discussing because there's so few teams who think they're set at catcher long term where I could almost see him being worth more than Holliday to several teams just based on positional scarcity  

#1688 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 20 May 2024 - 11:04 AM

I mean if we're entertaining a big swing in a trade I think the natural catcher in an organization who already has an excellent catcher is worth discussing because there's so few teams who think they're set at catcher long term where I could almost see him being worth more than Holliday to several teams just based on positional scarcity  

That's a strong take, and I agree. 

• BSLRoseKatz likes this

#1689 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,191 posts

Posted 20 May 2024 - 11:33 AM

They will figure it out. The quality depth will still come in handy if we were to suffer some injuries. Otherwise, like with Ortiz, you make the right deal. Dont panic. Joey is proof why you dont just trade guys to trade them. We could find a trade for any of these guys tomorrow. It has to be a fit for us. Of course what makes trading hard is the team we are trading with has to have and be willing to give up something we want and need.

• 1970 and russsnyder like this

#1690 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,329 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 20 May 2024 - 11:57 AM

They will figure it out. The quality depth will still come in handy if we were to suffer some injuries. Otherwise, like with Ortiz, you make the right deal. Dont panic. Joey is proof why you dont just trade guys to trade them. We could find a tradr for any of these guys tomorrow. It has to be a fit for us. Of course what makes trading hard is the team we are trading with has to have and be willing to give up something we want and need.

Correct on all points. With one minor nuance. I believe we have more quality depth than we can use even accounting for injuries. 

#1691 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,167 posts

Posted 20 May 2024 - 06:40 PM

Just read where Mayo fractured a rib falling into the 3rd base dugout and will miss several weeks.  Damn, feel bad for the kid. 

#1692 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,762 posts

Posted 20 May 2024 - 09:02 PM

Everyone fits. If I can figure it out why can’t you?

#1693 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,598 posts

Posted 22 May 2024 - 09:59 PM

Mike Baumann to Seattle for catcher Blake Hunt.

#1694 fishteacher

fishteacher

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,487 posts
  • LocationHarrisburg, PA

Posted 23 May 2024 - 08:29 AM

Any news on Means?

I'm here to do two things...chew bubblegum and kick ass, and I'm all out of bubblegum. ~ Roddy Piper
@therealjfisher

#1695 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,598 posts

Posted 23 May 2024 - 09:16 AM

Read last night Hyde said "elbow discomfort."

#1696 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,598 posts

Posted 23 May 2024 - 11:22 AM

Means to the 15-day IL with a left forearm strain.

#1697 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 23 May 2024 - 12:08 PM

Looks like Means time in Baltimore is done 

#1698 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 62,942 posts

Posted 23 May 2024 - 12:51 PM

The season ends in fewer than 15 days?

#1699 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,167 posts

Posted 23 May 2024 - 01:40 PM

Could be. Really feel bad for him because when he's healthy, he's one of the better left-handers in baseball. He could very well be the JK Dobbins of the Orioles. Just can't stay on the field.
  • weird-O likes this

#1700 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,329 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 23 May 2024 - 02:02 PM

I think this is Means' 4th injury the last two seasons. 3 arm related and one back issue. Bummed for him.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=