1909 replies to this topic

#321 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,108 posts

Posted 21 June 2023 - 12:12 PM

Wasnt Flood like '70. Either way the Orioles Way went through the early 80s so yeah, it existed.

No.

#322 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,389 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 21 June 2023 - 12:12 PM

Wasnt Flood like '70. Either way the Orioles Way went through the early 80s so yeah, it exsisted.

LOLOLOLOL

Just pick one of those L's and take it man. It will be ok.

#323 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,527 posts

Posted 21 June 2023 - 12:18 PM

What are you guys on about. I specifically said the Oriole Way and said FA wasnt that big of a thing. I knew FA started in the 70s. Wasnt sure of the year. It all adds up.

#324 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 21 June 2023 - 12:20 PM

What are you guys on about. I specifically said the Oriole Way and said FA wasnt that big of a thing. I knew FA started in the 70s. Wasnt sure of the year. It all adds up.

One of the pillars of "The Oriole Way" is defense. Which they don't even practice that do they? :)

Try again

@BSLMikeRandall

#325 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,108 posts

Posted 21 June 2023 - 12:21 PM

Trackman and Statcast Data was not a big part of the Oriole Way. Should the organization ignore it now since they didn't use it back then?

Obviously, that's a silly question.  But so was the original comment.  The team shouldn't eschew free agency just because past teams didn't have access to it.

#326 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,527 posts

The point remains regardless if I was completely wrong and the whole Oriole Way timeline didnt overlap with FA. Take a lesson in learning that FA isnt all its cracked up to be. You can and prob should have a homegrown team and one made with trades. FA has to be a secondary option to those two things

#327 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,697 posts

Oriole Way 2.0 with a manager that doesn't know he's doing. Sign me up.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#328 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,527 posts

Posted 21 June 2023 - 12:23 PM

Trackman and Statcast Data was not a big part of the Oriole Way. Should the organization ignore it now since they didn't use it back then?

Obviously, that's a silly question. But so was the original comment. The team shouldn't eschew free agency just because past teams didn't have access to it.

Sure thats what Im saying. Do things as they were done at a 1 to 1 ratio exactly as they were done 40 years ago.

#329 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,527 posts

Posted 21 June 2023 - 12:23 PM

One of the pillars of "The Oriole Way" is defense. Which they don't even practice that do they? :)

Try again

Get the Cardinals fans out of the Orioles threads please

#330 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,655 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 June 2023 - 12:24 PM

Baylor was blocked by Frank Robinson, Boog Powell, and Don Buford and there was no DH.  In 1970 those three guys had a 151, 163, and 126 OPS+.  In 1971 they had a 153, 138, and 153 OPS+.  

Perfectly said.  

Westburg is being blocked by Adam Frazier.  He may not measure up to Frank, Boog and Buford, not to mention Blair and others.

@mikeghg

#331 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,108 posts

Posted 21 June 2023 - 12:25 PM

The point remains regardless if I was completely wrong and the whole Oriole Way timeline didnt overlap with FA. Take a lesson in learning that FA isnt all its cracked up to be. You can and prob should have a homegrown team and one made with trades. FA has to be a secondary option to those two things

Nobody is suggesting building primarily through free agency.  People are criticizing completely ignoring free agency aside from some fringe guys on 1-year deals.

• You Play to Win the Game and BSLSteveBirrer like this

#332 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 21 June 2023 - 12:26 PM

Get the Cardinals fans out of the Orioles threads please

I'll post wherever I like thank you. 

(Still an O's fan, BTW) 

@BSLMikeRandall

#333 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,527 posts

Posted 21 June 2023 - 12:27 PM

Its to be expected though. Literally the closest the Os have ever come to Oriole Way 2.0 and the jaded, cynical Os fanbase has no clue how to handle it positively like they should.

#334 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,389 posts

Posted 21 June 2023 - 12:31 PM

Nobody is suggesting building primarily through free agency. People are criticizing completely ignoring free agency aside from some fringe guys on 1-year deals.

Of course.

In addition, part of the logic of investing more in free agency is to not have to subtract as much from the young talent to fill holes.

#335 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,108 posts

Posted 21 June 2023 - 12:37 PM

Its to be expected though. Literally the closest the Os have ever come to Oriole Way 2.0 and the jaded, cynical Os fanbase has no clue how to handle it positively like they should.

In many things, perfection is the enemy of good enough.  Building a baseball roster is not one of those things.  Always try to do better.  The Orioles are handicapping themselves artificially by refusing to spend money, both in free agency and trade and perhaps even through extensions.  There are quality moves to be made that they are not opening themselves to for reasons that aren't baseball related.

You are accepting them being good enough, which is fine, you do you, but I don't like being called jaded when I want to do better than good enough.  And calling out those shortcomings from management doesn't in any way lower my enjoyment of what the guys on the roster are achieving.  Does you calling out your perceived shortcomings of Hyde kill your enjoyment?  I'd guess not.  I don't understand why you think its noble of you to criticize Hyde but ignoble of others to criticize Elias and ownership.  

• You Play to Win the Game, mweb08, NewMarketSean and 3 others like this

#336 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,527 posts

Posted 21 June 2023 - 12:45 PM

You havent given them time. We are literally at the beginning of what should be a long window of contention. Youve made up your mind fully what they are and arent going to do.

#337 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,108 posts

Posted 21 June 2023 - 12:46 PM

I know what they did and didn't do after an 80+ win season.

#338 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,547 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 June 2023 - 12:46 PM

I know what they did and didn't do after an 80+ win season.

Not to mention, during.

• Mackus likes this

#339 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,697 posts

Posted 21 June 2023 - 12:51 PM

I could be wrong, and would love to be proven wrong, but I have zero confidence in ownership to pay the money it takes to land key FAs or even sign or extend the players we have developed. 

I'd like to see some guys get called up now and replace the guys who are struggling, but overall I am enjoying the hell out of this season. I have been to more games this year than I have the last 7 combined and watch almost every game.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#340 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,389 posts

Posted 21 June 2023 - 12:56 PM

There may not be an offseason where significant investment in free agency makes more sense than it did last year. The payroll won't be lower (well let's hope not at least lol) and relatedly there won't be a longer future window before they really have to start paying (or trading) the high end young talent that exists in the organization.

All that means that opportunity cost should not have been a significant concern when considering what else the money could have been spent on this year and the next couple. At least this would be true if the organization is actually willing to spend a reasonable sum of money.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=