#301 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 June 2023 - 11:08 PM

The Rays started 13-0. After 13 games the O's were 7-6. Since then the Rays are 38-25 and the O's are 38-21. This division race is alive and well.

I’ll allow it. Nice pull.

Unfortunately though, that’s probably not the only 13 game win steak in them this year, lol. They’re that good. But absolutely love how the O’s are right there. You never know.

#302 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 20 June 2023 - 11:12 PM

The Rays have a legit rotation. They're definitely odds-on favorites to win the division (if not the AL).

When you spot yourself an 8 game lead to start the season that tends to help your chances. But the current Rays aren't the same team as the one that started the season 13-0. They've lost some key players to injury.

#303 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,409 posts

Posted 21 June 2023 - 06:21 AM

The Rays have a legit rotation. They're definitely odds-on favorites to win the division (if not the AL).

We view our team under a microscope. The Rays have played great but they aren't perfect and we've actually outplayed them since the first two weeks of the season. The numbers are what they are and we've seen enough at this point to know that this team should be focused on winning it all.
  • Mike B likes this

#304 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 21 June 2023 - 09:24 AM

We view our team under a microscope. The Rays have played great but they aren't perfect and we've actually outplayed them since the first two weeks of the season. The numbers are what they are and we've seen enough at this point to know that this team should be focused on winning it all.

I could not agree with you more.  I grew up in a time, where the home team guys were on the pedestal.    Fans of the late 60's Orioles would have agonized over trading Chico Salmon for Rod Carew, (look those guys up), and you would see how silly that is.

Today in the day of Twitter, message boards, sports talk etc. it is the exact opposite.  Our guys suck, everytime they have a bad game.  Look at some of the comments in our game threads.  A player has a bad stretch and people are quickly "done with him".  It is all part of being invested in the team.

The Rays are real good, but the more I study their stats, I wonder if they can sustain the pace.  Are Luke Raley, Paredes, Jose Siri, Josh Lowe all as good as they have played so far.  Their pitching is good.  McClanahan may be the best starter in baseball, but the Orioles have hung with them.

I think if the Orioles get around to putting their best possible roster on the field and we can find a way to shore up the pen, we can continue to do so.

• 85Knight likes this
@mikeghg

#305 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,304 posts

Posted 21 June 2023 - 10:48 AM

You know whats been interesting is hearing some of the older fans wondering and maybe even whining about AAA guys not being called up but we also heard a tale from someone in one of these threads not long ago about how Don Baylor was tearing up AAA and had to wait a year or maybe it was a half a year before he made the big league roster. Kinda tells me its ultimately a good problem to have. Also reinforces my belief that we are in a position closer to the Orioles Way of days past than at any other point over the last 40 years.

#306 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,936 posts

Posted 21 June 2023 - 11:02 AM

Baylor was blocked by Frank Robinson, Boog Powell, and Don Buford and there was no DH.  In 1970 those three guys had a 151, 163, and 126 OPS+.  In 1971 they had a 153, 138, and 153 OPS+.  

• You Play to Win the Game, BSLMikeLowe and Mike B like this

#307 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 21 June 2023 - 11:12 AM

Baylor was blocked by Frank Robinson, Boog Powell, and Don Buford and there was no DH.  In 1970 those three guys had a 151, 163, and 126 OPS+.  In 1971 they had a 153, 138, and 153 OPS+.  

Are you suggesting that's not quite the same as being blocked by Adam Frazier and Jorge Mateo?

• BSLMikeLowe likes this

#308 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 21 June 2023 - 11:14 AM

However, O'Hearn and Hicks are putting those Frank, Boog, and Buford numbers to shame so clearly Cowser is akin to Baylor.

#309 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,936 posts

Posted 21 June 2023 - 11:15 AM

Are you suggesting that's not quite the same as being blocked by Adam Frazier and Jorge Mateo?

Just saying that neither of those guys have ever made me a pit beef sandwich.

#310 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 21 June 2023 - 11:15 AM

They didn't have OPS+ in 1970. :)

@BSLMikeRandall

#311 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 21 June 2023 - 11:16 AM

They didn't have OPS+ in 1970. :)

Poster 1970 probably was doing it by hand back then!

• You Play to Win the Game, Mike in STL and CantonJester like this

#312 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,304 posts

Posted 21 June 2023 - 11:54 AM

Ha. I know y'all think you know more than the guys calling the shots but ya dont. Youd think youd learn after crying about Stowers PT and GRod not breaking with the team.

#313 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,936 posts

Posted 21 June 2023 - 11:57 AM

Ha. I know y'all think you know more than the guys calling the shots but ya dont. Youd think youd learn after crying about Stowers PT and GRod not breaking with the team.

You're the one saying Adam Frazier is as similar of an impediment to a rookie's playing time as Boog Powell. :)

#314 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,304 posts

Posted 21 June 2023 - 11:57 AM

Not to mention the decision to sign Hicks as a Ced replacement which was crapped on. Its possible these guys know how to manage a roster

#315 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,936 posts

Posted 21 June 2023 - 11:58 AM

Not to mention the decision the decision to sign Hicks as a Ced replacement which was crapped on. Its possible these guys know how to manage a roster

All these guys except for Hyde, of course.

• mweb08, NewMarketSean and Mike in STL like this

#316 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,304 posts

Posted 21 June 2023 - 12:01 PM

Which brings me to another point about the Oriole Way. FA wasnt that big of a thing. The rosters were primarily built from within and secondarily through trades. You all should embrace The Oriole Way 2.0. Instead all I ever see is angst.

#317 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,936 posts

Posted 21 June 2023 - 12:04 PM

Which brings me to another point about the Oriole Way. FA wasnt that big of a thing. The rosters were primarily built from within and secondarily through trades. You all should embrace The Oriole Way 2.0. Instead all I ever see is angst.

Can't tell if you're joking.  Free agency didn't exist.

#318 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 21 June 2023 - 12:05 PM

You mean free agency wasn't a big thing before free agency existed and then in its infancy? Good point.

#319 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,304 posts

Posted 21 June 2023 - 12:08 PM

Can't tell if you're joking. Free agency didn't exist.

Wasnt Flood like '70. Either way the Orioles Way went through the early 80s so yeah, it existed.

#320 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,382 posts

Posted 21 June 2023 - 12:11 PM

I mean that's what you choose to focus on. There is almost universal praise on this board for the franchise's drafting and player development on a macro level. There's plenty of excitement for how this season is going as well.

Sorry that some of us wanted the franchise to act like they wanted to win more this past offseason though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=