Photo

Lamar What Happens Now?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
323 replies to this topic

Poll: Lamar poll His fate (31 member(s) have cast votes)

What will happen with Lamar

1. Traded (7 votes [22.58%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.58%

2. Signs an offer sheet and Ravens let him go for two 1s (3 votes [9.68%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.68%

3. Signs offer sheet and Ravens match (1 votes [3.23%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.23%

4. Signs an extension with Ravens (3 votes [9.68%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.68%

5. Plays on the Tag (12 votes [38.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 38.71%

6. Sits out '23 (5 votes [16.13%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.13%

Vote

#61 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 14 April 2023 - 02:34 PM

I could see one of the teams being “out” being back in after the draft. Patriots for one, Commanders under new ownership another. There can always be cap maneuvers done.

There's only so much cap space you can create though, and the Ravens are probably even more intent on matching after the draft since the compensation is a longer way out. Already accounting for 32M makes it tough for some team to overcome, when they can still restructure 20some million.

• Mackus likes this

#62 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 14 April 2023 - 02:46 PM

There's only so much cap space you can create though, and the Ravens are probably even more intent on matching after the draft since the compensation is a longer way out. Already accounting for 32M makes it tough for some team to overcome, when they can still restructure 20some million.

I think the "can't match" option for other teams is pretty much gone.  Would seem to need to be a "won't match" type offer, whatever that might look like.

#63 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 14 April 2023 - 03:02 PM

I think the "can't match" option for other teams is pretty much gone. Would seem to need to be a "won't match" type offer, whatever that might look like.

Post draft, there is no such thing as "won't match" IMO.
  • TwentyThirtyFive likes this

#64 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 14 April 2023 - 03:13 PM

Post draft, there is no such thing as "won't match" IMO.

Maybe >230M guaranteed. Pretty doubtful that happens at this point though.

#65 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 14 April 2023 - 04:35 PM

https://overthecap.com/restructure

Sort by possible cap space with both simple restructures and max restructures. The Ravens have 32 million on top of that amount to match an offer sheet. With simple restructures, the only team with the space is the Bears and they are rolling with Fields. The Titans, Colts, and Lions are close.

With max restructures, again it's just the Bears. The Jets maybe could as well if they don't get Rodgers.

The Commanders and Patriots are quite far off from having the space for it.

The Colts are drafting their QB, the Lions won't want to mess with a good thing and ride with Goff. The Titans may trade up for the 4th QB.

#66 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts

Posted 14 April 2023 - 04:38 PM

I think that's nonsense. I think LJ just told him not to say anything to weaken his leverage...not that he really has any leverage to begin with. Nobody wants him.

It's going to be fascinating to me to see how long it takes Lamar to finally get it through his head that the only people who think he's worth what he's asking are the people in his camp. If Pride truly goeth before the fall, he's in store for a big ass fall. Personally, I still hope the Ravens move on at the earliest reasonable opportunity.

Teams want him. Saying nobody wants him is factually false. Their are, at minimum, 17 or 18 teams out there that would gladly replace their current starting QB with Lamar.

What is true, is that no one currently wants him at his current price.

Huge difference between no one wants him, and no one wants to pay him what he's asking. On top of teams not wanting to do the work for the Ravens, and alienate their current starter by going after Lamar, only to have the Ravens match the offer.

Regardless, he can only price himself out of a job for so long. Unfortunately, I think becoming an UFA and not getting what he wants will be the only thing that breaks his pride, and finally brings his price down.

If anyone signs Lamar to an offer sheet, my gut still says it's the Colts after the draft.

#67 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,009 posts

Posted 14 April 2023 - 04:57 PM

Teams want him. Saying nobody wants him is factually false. Their are, at minimum, 17 or 18 teams out there that would gladly replace their current starting QB with Lamar.

Huge difference between no one wants him, and no one wants to pay him what he's asking. On top of teams not wanting to do the work for the Ravens, and alienate their current starter by going after Lamar, only to have the Ravens match the offer.

Regardless, he can only price himself out of a job for so long. Unfortunately, I think becoming an UFA and not getting what he wants will be the only thing that breaks his pride, and finally brings his price down.

If anyone signs Lamar to an offer sheet, my gut still says it's the Colts after the draft.

I mean, sure, if you want to play a semantics game, then yes, nobody wants him at the price he wants, or for that matter, the price the Ravens offered. Functionally, considering his insistence that he get what he want, those things are the same. Part of the Lamar Jackson package right now is paying him an astronomical sum of money.

Nobody has even made an offer. There is no market for this version of him, and he has yet to figure that out.

Personally I would love to trade him for Young Stroud or Richardson and a 2nd rounder or so. I think him getting traded during or right after the draft makes a lot of sense for everyone.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#68 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 14 April 2023 - 05:22 PM

Maybe >230M guaranteed. Pretty doubtful that happens at this point though.

The AAV on 5/235 is lower than the 6/290 that they already offered him.  I think they match that.

If it's 5/250 or something like that maybe they don't.

#69 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,709 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 14 April 2023 - 06:10 PM

If the report from Michael Lombardi is true, the Ravens should've told Lamar to kick rocks.
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#70 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 14 April 2023 - 06:37 PM

Which means no one wants him. NFL owners aren't broke. If they really wanted him they would pay the price. I mean I want a BMW and I guess I would take a 2023 BMW at $5000.00. Am I paying $37K for a 228i, nope. 

#71 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 14 April 2023 - 07:50 PM

If the report from Michael Lombardi is true, the Ravens should've told Lamar to kick rocks.

Which report was that?
@BSLMikeRandall

#72 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,009 posts

Posted 14 April 2023 - 10:29 PM

Which report was that?

https://twitter.com/...9250691074?s=19

#73 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 14 April 2023 - 10:33 PM

"I was told reliably by somebody :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

#74 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 14 April 2023 - 10:38 PM

It adds up. Was also the report that Bischotti stayed in contact with OBJ and told him he can help makes things right with Lamar. I think the Ravens want assurances too though. That he will be at TC, if not OTAs. No holdouts. Thats crucial. We will see whether they get something done long term or not but at this point Lamar playing here for this season is nearly a given. And I expect it to come with no holdout. Benfits all if the Ravens have a good year.

#75 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 15 April 2023 - 05:48 AM

Ugh. Who is in charge here? Seriously?

Lamar Jackson is simultaneously not under contract by the Ravens but is their GM and part owner now. Fascinating. how that works.

“Go get me player X,” is literally an assignment given to the GM by an owner.

Good to know Lamar’s insecurities don’t stop with a sore knee though. Needs good receivers to help him out too. Didn’t need them in 2019, but does now.

This front office is starting to look like a joke.
  • You Play to Win the Game and cprenegade like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#76 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts

Posted 15 April 2023 - 06:09 AM

Which means no one wants him. NFL owners aren't broke. If they really wanted him they would pay the price. I mean I want a BMW and I guess I would take a 2023 BMW at $5000.00. Am I paying $37K for a 228i, nope.

This 100% is the same thing I said. Teams would gladly take Lamar. It's not just the price either. It's the fact that even with an offer, they're not guaranteed to sign him. On top of this being a salary cap league.

Saying no one wants him implies that he isn't good, and teams like the Colts actually believe they are better off with guys like Minshew as their starter. Which is asinine.

You may not want to pay $100,000+ for a vehicle, but I guarentee everyone in here would love to have a super car that is priced we'll above that if they could afford it. Just because you can't afford it, doesn't mean you don't want it.

#77 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 15 April 2023 - 06:11 AM

I've had my fill of these "sources."  I can almost guarantee you if someone confronted Lamar about the tweet(if he ever emerges from his media blackout), he'd deny it up and down and I would tend to believe him.  I think some of these "reliable" sources are a product of a rich imagination and very loose journalism.  Either way, what's done is done and they have Beckham now and we move on accordingly. If Lamar ultimately signs the tag its because no other team wants him and he doesn't want to sit out a whole season.  Beckham is just a side story and someone else for him to throw to.  How's this for a storyline...."Hollywood Brown is holding Lamar Jackson hostage in his basement." 

#78 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 15 April 2023 - 06:20 AM

I've had my fill of these "sources."  I can almost guarantee you if someone confronted Lamar about the tweet(if he ever emerges from his media blackout), he'd deny it up and down and I would tend to believe him.  I think some of these "reliable" sources are a product of a rich imagination and very loose journalism.  Either way, what's done is done and they have Beckham now and we move on accordingly. If Lamar ultimately signs the tag its because no other team wants him and he doesn't want to sit out a whole season.  Beckham is just a side story and someone else for him to throw to.  How's this for a storyline...."Hollywood Brown is holding Lamar Jackson hostage in his basement." 

Welcome to the dark side. Glad to have you. I gets lonely out here on my island   :mrgreen:

• jamesdean likes this

#79 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,709 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 15 April 2023 - 06:55 AM

Welcome to the dark side. Glad to have you. I gets lonely out here on my island :mrgreen:

That's why I said "if it's real"....On one hand, it sounds completely absurd.

However, there's a small part of me that could absolutely hear Lamar saying that.
  • bmore_ken and cprenegade like this
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#80 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 15 April 2023 - 06:59 AM

That's why I said "if it's real"....On one hand, it sounds completely absurd.

However, there's a small part of me that could absolutely hear Lamar saying that.

I think its a bit overblown. Lamar wouldnt be the first, and wont be the last, QB to ask for WRs or more broadly speaking more weapons.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=