Photo

Lamar What Happens Now?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
323 replies to this topic

Poll: Lamar poll His fate (31 member(s) have cast votes)

What will happen with Lamar

1. Traded (7 votes [22.58%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.58%

2. Signs an offer sheet and Ravens let him go for two 1s (3 votes [9.68%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.68%

3. Signs offer sheet and Ravens match (1 votes [3.23%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.23%

4. Signs an extension with Ravens (3 votes [9.68%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.68%

5. Plays on the Tag (12 votes [38.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 38.71%

6. Sits out '23 (5 votes [16.13%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.13%

Vote

#101 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 17 April 2023 - 08:55 AM

Based on nothing I’m convinced they wanted one of the four WRs that were gone at 14. Everyone was surprised Hamilton was there.

Yea, I think you are right.  I think the run on receivers came earlier than they hoped.  That said, I think long term we are going to be very happy with Hamilton and Linderbaum.  There are times when you can not fill every need, and the Ravens could not fill the need at receiver, last season.

@mikeghg

#102 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 17 April 2023 - 10:08 AM

Hurts just reportedly signed a $255 million extension with the Eagles. Haven't seen a guarenteed amount yet. But that's the first major domino to drop in the upcoming QB contracts.

edit: $179 million guaranteed being reported.
  • Nigel Tufnel and makoman like this

#103 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,971 posts

Posted 17 April 2023 - 10:14 AM

Jalen Hurts agreed to a five-year, $255 million contract with the Eagles that includes $110 million fully guaranteed, $179.304 million in total guarantees and a no-trade clause, his agent@AgentNicoleLynn, confirmed.

#104 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 17 April 2023 - 10:17 AM

I feel like this is the best barometer for Lamar. Similar type of QB. Had a borderline MVP type season last year. Took his team to the Superbowl.

Not sure Lamar can see Hurts sign that deal, and still expect to get over $200 million guarenteed.

#105 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,440 posts

Posted 17 April 2023 - 10:22 AM

Yeah if reports are true Lamar already turned down more guaranteed (133 full vs 110?) and probably similar AAV. Not sure about the injury guarantees which I assume is the 179. There was no problem in my opinion with wanting what Watson got, you have to shoot for the best deal when negotiating, but his deal is becoming less and less precedential. I'd think if you just copy/paste and swap the names Lamar can't ask for a whole lot more.

#106 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 17 April 2023 - 10:23 AM

I guess the owners are still colluding since he didn't get a fully guaranteed contract.

#107 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 17 April 2023 - 10:30 AM

bUt HuRtS wAs NeVeR mVp!

#108 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 17 April 2023 - 10:31 AM

Seriously, I hope this wakes Lamar the hell up.

#109 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 17 April 2023 - 10:34 AM

Lamar's come this far I will guess that he plays on the tag and tries to have a huge year and get paid next season rather than swallow his pride and take a similar deal to what he's already been offered. Certainly possible he decides to take this type of deal instead though. If Burrow and Herbert sign for similar, then he's gonna have a real hard time holding out for more. I think he and all these guys are worth such a deal, but the teams are clearly still holding more negotiation leverage and they aren't gonna give out more than they need to even if they might be willing if they had to.

#110 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 17 April 2023 - 10:34 AM

bUt HuRtS wAs NeVeR mVp!

He wasn't....

#111 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,440 posts

Posted 17 April 2023 - 10:47 AM

Lamar's come this far I will guess that he plays on the tag and tries to have a huge year and get paid next season rather than swallow his pride and take a similar deal to what he's already been offered. Certainly possible he decides to take this type of deal instead though. If Burrow and Herbert sign for similar, then he's gonna have a real hard time holding out for more. I think he and all these guys are worth such a deal, but the teams are clearly still holding more negotiation leverage and they aren't gonna give out more than they need to even if they might be willing if they had to.

He could save face by saying that he's pleased that the team has committed to giving him a WR1 to help in the passing game or something (whether one believes OBJ is that or not). Even better if they also happen to take a first round WR.

But I do think it's probably most likely he bets on himself and plays on the tag and hopes it works out better this time.

#112 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 17 April 2023 - 10:51 AM

At what point is Lamar biting off his nose to spite his face? The league is not going to go all in on fully guaranteed deals, regardless of what any of us may believe QB's values to be. 

Is their some anti Lamar bias league wide? I think there certainly could be. After all, I'm sure some of the personnel people, scouts and front office staff that passed on him in the 2018 draft are still in place and if they didn't like him then, they probably still don't like him now. 

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#113 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,130 posts

Posted 17 April 2023 - 10:54 AM

He wasn't....

I'm mocking the reason Lamar will undoubtedly use to justify asking for over 50 million more guaranteed than Hurts, who has arguably been better over the last two seasons and coming an eyelash away from winning a Superbowl.

#114 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,440 posts

Posted 17 April 2023 - 10:54 AM

At what point is Lamar biting off his nose to spite his face? 

August 2021, assuming he could have had a Josh Allen deal. (if the team wasn't offering it, then fine that's on them)

• PrimeTime likes this

#115 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 17 April 2023 - 10:55 AM

At what point is Lamar biting off his nose to spite his face? The league is not going to go all in on fully guaranteed deals, regardless of what any of us may believe QB's values to be.

Is their some anti Lamar bias league wide? I think there certainly could be. After all, I'm sure some of the personnel people, scouts and front office staff that passed on him in the 2018 draft are still in place and if they didn't like him then, they probably still don't like him now.

It's not biting it off if it works. Maybe Burrow or Herbert get full guarantee and the thing shifts. If they don't, then Lamar would have to go have an MVP type year to have any shot, but merely a really good season likely leads to him getting more than he's being offered now.

It's a huge risk to wait. But if things work out, waiting is always the way to maximize earnings. Maximized earnings may still be below what he wanted, but it could easily be more than he's currently being offered.

I'd have signed in September if I were him, but I'm not.

#116 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 April 2023 - 10:57 AM

It's not biting it off if it works. Maybe Burrow or Herbert get full guarantee and the thing shifts. If they don't, then Lamar would have to go have an MVP type year to have any shot, but merely a really good season likely leads to him getting more than he's being offered now.

It's a huge risk to wait. But if things work out, waiting is always the way to maximize earnings. Maximized earnings may still be below what he wanted, but it could easily be more than he's currently being offered.

I'd have signed in September if I were him, but I'm not.

Except for the revenue lost in the current year. And even probably last year. That money is lost.

#117 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,545 posts

Posted 17 April 2023 - 10:58 AM

I'm mocking the reason Lamar will undoubtedly use to justify asking for over 50 million more guaranteed than Hurts, who has arguably been better over the last two seasons and coming an eyelash away from winning a Superbowl.

Yeah, Hurts got this deal after a great season and near SB win.  Lamar wants more yet hasn't finished the past two season and won his MVP 4 years ago...

#118 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 17 April 2023 - 11:22 AM

bUt HuRtS wAs NeVeR mVp!

What does that have to do with price of tea in China?

#119 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,573 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 17 April 2023 - 11:44 AM

What does that have to do with price of tea in China?

It doesn't make sense!  If chewbacca lives on endor, you must acquit!

• ivanbalt and makoman like this

#120 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,001 posts

Posted 17 April 2023 - 12:44 PM

Except for the revenue lost in the current year. And even probably last year. That money is lost.

Sure. But like the comparison to Allen, a lot of that if not all is quickly made up by the salaries inflating and possibly covering later season that is not under contract if they signed earlier. Bit of a horse race however you look at it, just depending on how far out you wanna go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=