Photo

Lamar What Happens Now?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
323 replies to this topic

Poll: Lamar poll His fate (31 member(s) have cast votes)

What will happen with Lamar

1. Traded (7 votes [22.58%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.58%

2. Signs an offer sheet and Ravens let him go for two 1s (3 votes [9.68%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.68%

3. Signs offer sheet and Ravens match (1 votes [3.23%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.23%

4. Signs an extension with Ravens (3 votes [9.68%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.68%

5. Plays on the Tag (12 votes [38.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 38.71%

6. Sits out '23 (5 votes [16.13%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.13%

Vote

#1 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,951 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 03:13 PM

Poll

#2 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,640 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 11:25 PM

He either sits out or he has no idea what he's doing. 

#3 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 12:01 AM

At this point, I'd say all indications point to a holdout. In order to facilitate a trade, Lamar has to sign the franchise tender. If he does, however, the Ravens are not obligated to trade him and can fine him for missing non-voluntary practice times (such as training camp).

He also can't sign an offer sheet that the Ravens would match since he'd be forced back into a relationship he wants no more part of. His only hope is someone comes along with an offer that the Ravens wouldn't or couldn't match.

#4 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 07:27 AM

At this point, I'd say all indications point to a holdout. In order to facilitate a trade, Lamar has to sign the franchise tender. If he does, however, the Ravens are not obligated to trade him and can fine him for missing non-voluntary practice times (such as training camp).

He also can't sign an offer sheet that the Ravens would match since he'd be forced back into a relationship he wants no more part of. His only hope is someone comes along with an offer that the Ravens wouldn't or couldn't match.

If the Colts or Falcon sign him to an offer sheet the Ravens say bye bye. Cap wise they have the space to carry the $32+ million for the time it takes the Ravens to say he's yours.Other than those 2 it might take a trade for other teams.

But even in a trade that team is going to want a contract done before.

#5 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,760 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 07:42 AM

I have zero confidence in any ideas of how this is gonna play out but went with plays on tag for this poll, which I thought was a near impossibility before the offseason.

#6 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 08:00 AM

I have zero confidence in any ideas of how this is gonna play out but went with plays on tag for this poll, which I thought was a near impossibility before the offseason.

Unless he signs the tag and accepts a trade without the contract he wants, he needs to have an almost all pro year to rebuild his image playing on the tag.

#7 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,760 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 11:29 AM

Unless he signs the tag and accepts a trade without the contract he wants, he needs to have an almost all pro year to rebuild his image playing on the tag.

Agree. If he plays and has a healthy and strong season, then he likely gets more than he can get right now. Maybe as much as he's asking depending on how good and what the other top guys get. If he holds out, it's much harder to see his value increasing.

#8 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,406 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 28 March 2023 - 12:17 PM

I just don't see how he can return to the organization after yesterday, even if he is willing to play the season on the franchise tag (and I'm not so sure he would). The Ravens seem to place a high value on locker room chemistry and players who want to be Ravens, and their actions have backed that up.

#9 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,557 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 02:30 PM

Sits out.

I just don't see a scenario where he plays another snap for the Ravens and I've said as much since December.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#10 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 02:45 PM

Sits out.

I just don't see a scenario where he plays another snap for the Ravens and I've said as much since December.

Sitting out takes him further from his ultimate goal, which is to get paid. If he sits out this year, it means he hasn't played a full season in three years come next season. He can still get tagged next year. If he sits out then it's no full season in 4 years. he's not getting that big contract that way. His best bet is to sign the tag and get ready to ball out this season with his new OC. Then next offseason he has something to bring to the table.
  • Steve55 likes this

#11 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,203 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 02:54 PM

Sitting out takes him further from his ultimate goal, which is to get paid. If he sits out this year, it means he hasn't played a full season in three years come next season. He can still get tagged next year. If he sits out then it's no full season in 4 years. he's not getting that big contract that way. His best bet is to sign the tag and get ready to ball out this season with his new OC. Then next offseason he has something to bring to the table. 

Yeah, I just can't see Lamar Jackson, in the prime of his career, sitting out a season just to prove a point.  Not with 32 million dollars on the table at the very least.  He's been hurt twice now which you would think would give him a sense of urgency to get this thing done and not waste another year.  I did vote he plays on the tag but what concerns me is he's quickly putting himself in a spot of no return with the Ravens.  If I were him, I'd sign that tag like it was yesterday and get this whole thing into motion.  Otherwise, his only choices are to accept what the Ravens have offered him long term, sign the tag and play 2023 in a Baltimore uniform or sit out the year.  If he's waiting for some team to come out of the woodwork and save the day, he's really putting himself in a bad position.  Real bad. 

• bmore_ken likes this

#12 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,990 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 03:30 PM

Either he sits out and sulks out of pride that nobody knows his value but him, or he plays and sulks because nobody knows his value but him. Either way, he's a drama queen who will likely take himself out of the game for the first hangnail he gets.
  • BaltBird 24 likes this

#13 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 03:31 PM

I’m trying to be optimistic so I am going to be blind and say they come to an agreement on a contract. Even though I know that isn’t happening!

#14 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,760 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 04:13 PM

Somehow it feels like all of these options are under 1-in-6, but since we've attacked this every other angle, I'll rank the options in terms of what I think is most likely to least likely...

Plays on tag

Traded

Ravens match offer sheet 

Sits out 2023

Ravens do not match offer sheet

Signs extension with Ravens

Absolutely zero confidence in any of this and everything subject to change pending the next episode of this soap opera.

• TwentyThirtyFive likes this

#15 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,250 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 28 March 2023 - 04:28 PM

Went with the plays on the tag option.

1. Pretty apparent that other teams don't value him at the level he thinks he deserves and aren't willing to pony up the draft picks.

2. He can't possibly think sitting out the season helps him long term.

A trade is still the best answer for the Ravens but maybe LJ hasn't burned bridges with his teammates to the point where playing this year would be ok with them?

#16 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,760 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 04:40 PM

A trade is still the best answer for the Ravens but maybe LJ hasn't burned bridges with his teammates to the point where playing this year would be ok with them?

I'd be pretty surprised if his teammates hold a grudge.  They'll welcome him back if he comes back.  

Not exactly the same, but Deebo Samuel was demanding a trade this time a year ago, the 49ers refused, and things seemed to be fine with him and the team (can't say I follow the 49ers enough to say with much confidence, but I didn't hear anything negative).

Kareem Hunt also requested a trade before last season and the Browns refused to trade him.  I don't recall hearing about any animosity between he and teammates.

#17 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 05:46 PM

1. Pretty apparent that other teams don't value him at the level he thinks he deserves and aren't willing to pony up the draft picks.

We all know that, but I doubt they find a trade partner. 

#18 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 05:47 PM

I'd be pretty surprised if his teammates hold a grudge.  They'll welcome him back if he comes back.  

Not exactly the same, but Deebo Samuel was demanding a trade this time a year ago, the 49ers refused, and things seemed to be fine with him and the team (can't say I follow the 49ers enough to say with much confidence, but I didn't hear anything negative).

Kareem Hunt also requested a trade before last season and the Browns refused to trade him.  I don't recall hearing about any animosity between he and teammates.

I agree. The teammates all know there's a business component to the NFL, and this could easily be one of them.

#19 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,640 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 06:08 PM

Until he hires an agent, I disagree. His apparent point of view is an agent only nets him less of what he desires. Until he steps back from that line of thinking, he's sitting out the 2023 season in hopes of injuries or retirements that will create a market for him.  

#20 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,406 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 28 March 2023 - 06:14 PM

Until he hires an agent, I disagree. His apparent point of view is an agent only nets him less of what he desires. Until he steps back from that line of thinking, he's sitting out the 2023 season in hopes of injuries or retirements that will create a market for him.  

Agree. He's already cost himself millions he'll never get back, even with the 3% commission he'd owe an agent, who if he had one undoubtedly never would have let him play in 2021, one season removed from an MVP award, for just $1.7M. This just feels to me like Lamar will keep doubling-down on his mistakes to chase a Pyrrhic victory somewhere down the road.

The only way this ends well for the Ravens is if some team saves the day by giving Lamar what he wants and agreeing to compensate the Ravens something approximating at least two 1st Rd picks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=