Photo

Lamar What Happens Now?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
323 replies to this topic

Poll: Lamar poll His fate (31 member(s) have cast votes)

What will happen with Lamar

1. Traded (7 votes [22.58%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 22.58%

2. Signs an offer sheet and Ravens let him go for two 1s (3 votes [9.68%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.68%

3. Signs offer sheet and Ravens match (1 votes [3.23%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.23%

4. Signs an extension with Ravens (3 votes [9.68%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.68%

5. Plays on the Tag (12 votes [38.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 38.71%

6. Sits out '23 (5 votes [16.13%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.13%

Vote

#41 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 12 April 2023 - 06:10 AM

There's talk that OBJ would only come here if Jackson was playing.

#42 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 12 April 2023 - 08:36 AM

I hate it,  but he plays on the tag.

@mikeghg

#43 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 12 April 2023 - 08:58 AM

I believe Rappaport reported that if I'm not mistaken.

#44 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,982 posts

Posted 12 April 2023 - 10:22 AM

I believe Rappaport reported that if I'm not mistaken.

That means you don't believe it, right? :)
  • You Play to Win the Game and makoman like this

#45 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 12 April 2023 - 10:27 AM

It feels like Jackson told Beckham he had no other offers so his choice was a hold out or play on the tag.  And he probably told him I will play this year on the tag if you sign.

For the Ravens to use voidable years, they are not only gambling on Beckham contributing this year, but they are also willing to absorb the hit down the road for someone who may not be here.  

It certainly has the feeling to me of a team that is going all in for one last year with Jackson and then possibly moving on to a rookie QB and having the cap space to be able to still field a competitive team while paying off their debts for this year's championship push.  

• bmore_ken likes this

#46 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,465 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 April 2023 - 10:29 AM

Show me the evidence! ;)

#47 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 12 April 2023 - 12:15 PM

There's no quote from OBJ, but there are pictures of the two of them hanging out which would lead me to believe there's some truth to it. 

#48 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 12 April 2023 - 11:04 PM

You can if he's literally never played a snap in your brand new offense.

No you realistically cant. Just nonsense to talk about Lamar being on the roster and not being the #1.

#49 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 12 April 2023 - 11:07 PM

Someone let Sean know we are damn close to being back to 1%. 😉

#50 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 13 April 2023 - 10:19 AM

No you realistically cant. Just nonsense to talk about Lamar being on the roster and not being the #1.

Agreed, It's as silly as silly gets.

#51 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 14 April 2023 - 09:45 AM

But who will be throwing him the football come week one? Beckham said he was given no assurances that his quarterback would be Lamar Jackson.

https://www.wmar2new...wm4RZlxvCpU4lPk

#52 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,982 posts

Posted 14 April 2023 - 09:47 AM

But who will be throwing him the football come week one? Beckham said he was given no assurances that his quarterback would be Lamar Jackson.
https://www.wmar2new...wm4RZlxvCpU4lPk

I think that's nonsense. I think LJ just told him not to say anything to weaken his leverage...not that he really has any leverage to begin with. Nobody wants him.

It's going to be fascinating to me to see how long it takes Lamar to finally get it through his head that the only people who think he's worth what he's asking are the people in his camp. If Pride truly goeth before the fall, he's in store for a big ass fall. Personally, I still hope the Ravens move on at the earliest reasonable opportunity.

#53 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 14 April 2023 - 09:49 AM

I think that's nonsense. I think LJ just told him not to say anything to weaken his leverage...not that he really has any leverage to begin with. Nobody wants him.

It's nonsense? So the guy is lying?

#54 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,982 posts

Posted 14 April 2023 - 09:51 AM

Obj? Yes, I think he's lying. I don't think he would sign here thinking that anybody besides Lamar was going to be throwing the ball to him. The two were FaceTiming for God's sake. You don't do that with someone you think isn't going to be on the team.

I wouldn't be surprised if the two of them have kind of a mutual agreement that they'll help each other out. Jackson plays on the tag and has a monster year because he has Beckham to throw to, and Beckham has a monster year because he's playing with Lamar. They both hit the market in one way or another with the ability to demand more money after the season.

Mind you, I don't think that either of those things will actually happen, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if they felt that it would.

#55 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 14 April 2023 - 12:48 PM

Obj? Yes, I think he's lying. I don't think he would sign here thinking that anybody besides Lamar was going to be throwing the ball to him. The two were FaceTiming for God's sake. You don't do that with someone you think isn't going to be on the team.

I wouldn't be surprised if the two of them have kind of a mutual agreement that they'll help each other out. Jackson plays on the tag and has a monster year because he has Beckham to throw to, and Beckham has a monster year because he's playing with Lamar. They both hit the market in one way or another with the ability to demand more money after the season.

Mind you, I don't think that either of those things will actually happen, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if they felt that it would.

If the draft doesn't fall the way a team hopes it does, someone may offer LJ a contract post draft, and if the money is right, he's not going to turn it down because he made a handshake deal with OBJ to play on the tag with him this season, 

They facetime, they're boys, that's fine. Lamar is the QB today (not really, but you know what I mean) and that might have been good enough for OBJ. If the draft comes and goes, July 15th comes and goes, without a long term deal, Lamar may be more inclined to sign the tag and play because his boy is here. But he'll be out the door if another team comes calling with an offer in his wheelhouse.

• bmore_ken likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#56 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 14 April 2023 - 01:03 PM

If the draft doesn't fall the way a team hopes it does, someone may offer LJ a contract post draft, and if the money is right, he's not going to turn it down because he made a handshake deal with OBJ to play on the tag with him this season, 

They facetime, they're boys, that's fine. Lamar is the QB today (not really, but you know what I mean) and that might have been good enough for OBJ. If the draft comes and goes, July 15th comes and goes, without a long term deal, Lamar may be more inclined to sign the tag and play because his boy is here. But he'll be out the door if another team comes calling with an offer in his wheelhouse.

There really aren't many teams with a need at QB and the ability to make an offer that the Ravens can't match.  The Bears have made it clear they're sticking with Fields.  The Falcons used a lot of their cap already.  The Colts might be able to, their available cap is right at the edge of what the Ravens can afford.  After that, it's maybe the Lions if they want to part from Goff, but they'd probably want to trade Goff to acquire Jackson, and the Ravens aren't trading for Goff after the draft.  After that it's maybe the Titans, since Tannehill isn't really an elite level QB.

#57 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,982 posts

Posted 14 April 2023 - 01:19 PM

I think it's more likely that Lamar is traded during or right after the draft than a team offers him something close to what he's asking.

#58 weird-O

weird-O

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,210 posts
  • LocationI'm here from downtown, I'm here from Mitch and Murray.

Posted 14 April 2023 - 01:28 PM

He's probably not lying, but it's nuanced. EDC says "we can't guarantee LJ will be the QB" (whispers) but he totally is gonna be ;)

I'm sure everyone knows what the score is, even if they can't publicly say so.

Whether he's the QB, nor not, I'm sure OBJ will be happy when those paychecks start hitting his acct, and he'll do his best to make Huntley/Brown/ potential new guy look good.

Good news! I saw a dog today.

#59 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 14 April 2023 - 02:25 PM

There really aren't many teams with a need at QB and the ability to make an offer that the Ravens can't match. The Bears have made it clear they're sticking with Fields. The Falcons used a lot of their cap already. The Colts might be able to, their available cap is right at the edge of what the Ravens can afford. After that, it's maybe the Lions if they want to part from Goff, but they'd probably want to trade Goff to acquire Jackson, and the Ravens aren't trading for Goff after the draft. After that it's maybe the Titans, since Tannehill isn't really an elite level QB.

I could see one of the teams being “out” being back in after the draft. Patriots for one, Commanders under new ownership another. There can always be cap maneuvers done.
@BSLMikeRandall

#60 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 14 April 2023 - 02:31 PM

I could see one of the teams being “out” being back in after the draft. Patriots for one, Commanders under new ownership another. There can always be cap maneuvers done.

https://overthecap.com/restructure

Sort by possible cap space with both simple restructures and max restructures.  The Ravens have 32 million on top of that amount to match an offer sheet.  With simple restructures, the only team with the space is the Bears and they are rolling with Fields.  The Titans, Colts, and Lions are close.

With max restructures, again it's just the Bears.  The Jets maybe could as well if they don't get Rodgers. 

The Commanders and Patriots are quite far off from having the space for it.

• makoman likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=