109 replies to this topic

#61 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,293 posts

Posted 17 January 2023 - 10:07 AM

Pointing out that this particular decision/strategy didn’t work out?

Was it a lack of a top flight WR that cost this team?

#62 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,510 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 January 2023 - 10:08 AM

That combined with Roman, yes.

And sorry to bring this back up, but Lamar wasn’t exactly humming before he went down either. This offense was stuck in the mud, especially when grading on the curve of the expectations. Very inconsistent and unreliable offense. Particularly in the RZ.

#63 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,293 posts

Posted 17 January 2023 - 10:13 AM

That combined with Roman, yes.

And sorry to bring this back up, but Lamar wasn’t exactly humming before he went down either. This offense was stuck in the mud, especially when grading on the curve of the expectations. Very inconsistent and unreliable offense. Particularly in the RZ.

So do you think this would have been a better team with Adams/Brown. But no Moses, Roquan, Williams or Hamilton ?

#64 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,510 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 January 2023 - 10:14 AM

What I think is the offense wasn’t good enough.

#65 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,881 posts

Posted 17 January 2023 - 10:16 AM

Did it burn the team though? Or did an injured QB and a terrible OC burn the team?

Yes, it did burn the team. Not the only flaw, but a major one.

#66 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,293 posts

Posted 17 January 2023 - 10:16 AM

Our season ended in disappointment because our QB got injured. Our OC isn't good enough. Our DC was learning on the job, and plays Dean Pees type coverages with a lead in the 4th quarter. And our head coach consistently makes the same mistakes over and over. The lack of a top 10 WR would have had little impact over those issues. Especially when the addition of said WR would have come at the expense of multiple other big time contributors.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#67 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,510 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 January 2023 - 10:18 AM

You don’t know that. Scoring points masks a lot of issues.

#68 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,881 posts

Posted 17 January 2023 - 10:19 AM

So do you think this would have been a better team with Adams/Brown. But no Moses, Roquan, Williams or Hamilton ?

Again, not endorsing the idea, but I think we're better in 22 with Hollywood and Mekari at C than we were with Linderbaum and null at WR, for example.

Happy for the trade and pick, but you keep trying these gotchas which just aren't pertinent. Plenty of reasonable alternatives existed. They all cost something, it's not a simple exchange, but not replacing Brown at all was identified as a major risk ahead of time and ended up being a costly one. That you can't admit that is very bizarre.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#69 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,293 posts

Posted 17 January 2023 - 10:19 AM

Yes, it did burn the team. Not the only flaw, but a major one.

Strongly disagree. It didn't burn the team. Our OC and our injured QB burned the team.

#70 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,881 posts

Posted 17 January 2023 - 10:21 AM

Strongly disagree. It didn't burn the team. Our OC and our injured QB burned the team.

Hah, ok. Guess the WR wasn't a problem then. You running the same crew back next year?

#71 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,293 posts

Posted 17 January 2023 - 10:23 AM

Again, not endorsing the idea, but I think we're better in 22 with Hollywood and Mekari at C than we were with Linderbaum and null at WR, for example.

Happy for the trade and pick, but you keep trying these gotchas which just aren't pertinent. Plenty of reasonable alternatives existed. They all cost something, it's not a simple exchange, but not replacing Brown at all was identified as a major risk ahead of time and ended up being a costly one. That you can't admit that is very bizarre.

I've admitted it was a weak spot. Where my refusal starts is that EDC somehow was supposed to create cap space, and make a bunch of options available at WR.

He made the right moves. He created a roster capable of winning a superbowl. It didn't work out, mainly because of injuries and coaching. Not because he didn't sacrifice 3 other position groups so we could have a luxury at WR that our OC wouldn't know how to use.

#72 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,880 posts

Posted 17 January 2023 - 10:25 AM

The team won two super bowls without a top flight wide receiver. 

• Biggsy likes this

#73 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,293 posts

Posted 17 January 2023 - 10:28 AM

Hah, ok. Guess the WR wasn't a problem then. You running the same crew back next year?

If it means keeping Williams, Hamilton, Moses and Roquan, I 100% run it back with a healthy Bateman and Duvernay.

#74 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,036 posts

Posted 17 January 2023 - 10:30 AM

The team won two super bowls without a top flight wide receiver.

Yeah, I get the whole WR thing and it was a mediocre group to start the season, and a weak group by the end. It would be nice to have Justin Jefferson out there too, but it's not the be all end all. Jefferson and company took a home wild card loss and they played just as far in to January as Sammy Watkins and company.

The defense was all in and performing Sunday. They held the Bengals largely in check and with like 9 minutes left the Ravens and their flawed offense were a long yard away from taking a 7 point lead. There was an opportunity to win anyway, if some coaches played to the strengths (and avoided the weaknesses) of their actual roster.

I honestly suspect Roman would find a way to have a Jefferson or Hill or Chase standing on the sideline during a key goal line play...
  • bmore_ken likes this

#75 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,881 posts

Posted 17 January 2023 - 10:30 AM

If it means keeping Williams, Hamilton, Moses and Roquan, I 100% run it back with a healthy Bateman and Duvernay.

? Why would it cost any of those guys?

Are you looking to improve the room or not?

#76 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,437 posts

Posted 17 January 2023 - 10:39 AM

I’ve said before, and it’s just a guess, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they wanted to replace Brown at 14 but a run happened early. Hamilton looks like he may be a great pick, but it probably hurt the 2022 team structure. By then FA is mostly over and there’s not a ton else out there.

Pickens possibly wasn’t on the 2nd round board, he did have some make up questions (that may have been overblown) and we seem to shy away from that.

#77 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,293 posts

Posted 17 January 2023 - 10:47 AM

? Why would it cost any of those guys?

Are you looking to improve the room or not?

Misread your question. Thought you meant would I rerun last season with that WR room. My apologies.

Next season, of course I'm looking to improve that room. I KNOW Wallace and Proche have nothing to offer now. I KNOW Bateman is potentially injury prone.

Also depends on the options available, and who our OC happens to be, after we hopefully part ways with Roman.

#78 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,510 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 January 2023 - 10:48 AM

Misread your question. Thought you meant would I rerun last season with that WR room. My apologies.

Next season, of course I'm looking to improve that room. I KNOW Wallace and Proche have nothing to offer now. I KNOW Bateman is potentially injury prone.

Also depends on the options available, and who our OC happens to be, after we hopefully part ways with Roman.

Not to mention who our QB is, no?
  • Biggsy likes this

#79 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,510 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 January 2023 - 10:50 AM

One thing I loved about Bateman coming out was his possession receiver comps like Keenan Allen. That’s what Lamar needs more than anything, that crafty, smart and reliable possession receiver outside of Andrews to give him that other option in the short/intermediate game. I think you can go retread on the deep threat guy, which is also important (or draft one). But I’d love to see Bateman be that Keenan Allen guy still. They seemed to try to put him in that Hollywood mold this season in the limited time I did see, but I could be wrong. I’d be curious what the advanced numbers have to say about the kind of routes he ran. And if he was getting open.

#80 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,510 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 January 2023 - 10:51 AM

Amon-Ra St. Brown and Lamar would be magic.

That is the kind of receiving play that gets guys hurt more often, not sure Bateman will hold up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=