#101 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,551 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 17 January 2023 - 04:41 PM

By the way, I mentioned that Likely is probably a starter on a good number of teams, and I stand by that, but I also think that maybe he might be useful trade bait.  If we can get a high 3rd or low 2nd rounder for him and pick up a WR in the draft, or in trade, that would be pretty nice.  Between Oliver and Kolar I feel decently about our depth behind Andrews.

#102 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,259 posts

Posted 17 January 2023 - 04:42 PM

For the record, I didn't once bash Bateman. I believed in his development. I thought that behind Bateman we had no depth. Duvernay did break out; I think I called one of the worst WRs in the league last year, so I was wrong with him. But even then, he wasn't a serious threat once he had to deal with more dificult cornerback matchups after the Bateman injury. He "broke out" to the level of Demarcus Robinson, who isn't much more than a WR4 on a good team.

I also don't blame EDC for trading Hollywood; he got a good return for him and Hollywood asked out. I blame EDC for not addressing the position elsewhere. We drafted 2 TEs in round 4, despite having an all-pro TE, and passed on viable WR picks in round 2 in favor of a player that ended up sitting out for the first 16 weeks.

Also, when signing contracts in the offseason you can really work the cap favorably so the first year hit is negligible. We could have made a FA or trade WR work.

You're right. I apologize. You weren't critical of Bateman. It was Duvernay.

I understand WR is a weak spot. And you're not wrong that contracts can be manipulated to spread the cap hit. However, options at WR were extremely limited. EDC chose to spend the money where the market dictated. He fixed RT, FS, and attempted to fix NT, albeit a Pierce injury early derailed that plan.

I think it's disingenuous to claim EDC turned a blind eye, and just ignored the WR position. I don't think that's fair at all. EDC has proven he has no problem making moves, and when needed, big moves, to address a clear weakness. He traded for Peters. He traded for Roquan. He made a big splash with Williams. If he had the resources, and the available options, I'm sure he would have patched the hole at WR a little better as well. But when your best options will cost a first round pick, plus other draft capital, on top of 12%-18% of your cap space that you're already limited with, it seems obvious why we went the direction we went.

#103 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 17 January 2023 - 05:22 PM

Clark seems like a logical candidate to be traded or cut for cap space.

Not much cap savings. Wink would want him.

#104 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,981 posts

Posted 17 January 2023 - 05:35 PM

So you think Roman's part of the problem here, but other successful QBs in the league aren't impacted by coaching and offensive playcalling?

Andy Reid was considered one of the best offensive minds in the league before Mahomes was ever drafted, particularly for his passing offense. I'm sure that has nothing to do with how Mahomes career started, or the production he's getting out of a crew that includes the best TE in the league and a worse collection of WR talent that's somehow still better than the Ravens.

Doug Pederson won a Super Bowl with Carson Wentz and Nick Foles at QB, how have those guys been fairing in the league since then? It was a much discussed story that when Wentz went down, Pederson installed more RPO plays in the offense because Foles was comfortable with it, and helped make their offense go in Wentz's absence. But I'm sure Lawrence's development has nothing to do with coaching in his second year. Ironic since i believe you posted in the beginning of the season about how he was not a franchise QB.

There's so many examples around the league of what a difference coaching makes. And the difference talent at the skill position makes.

What a horrible take, especially when Lamar absolutely has elevated the players around him in spite of the playcalling in the past.

It's always the OC's fault. It's been three OC's fault going back to Flacco and before. It's the easiest fall guy in the sport. Now, don't get me wrong - Roman needs to go and HAS been part of the problem, but Lamar is also limited as a passer.

With that said, I literally never said coaching didn't have an impact on QB play. This was a response to all those saying Lamar didn't have the receivers to be successful. You're arguing against something I didn't say. What a waste of keystrokes.

#105 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,981 posts

Posted 17 January 2023 - 05:37 PM

Burrow was alright. Took a big step with Chase.

Allen was alright. Took a big step with Diggs.

Kyler was alright. Took a big step with Hopkins.

WRs certainly help QBs.

Help? Sure. Did you see how Hollywood was doing with Kyler prior to his injury? Having a great WR definitely helps, but a lot of WR's are made great by their QB play.

#106 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 17 January 2023 - 05:46 PM

I did see Roman doesn't have a contract for next season .

#107 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,860 posts

Posted 17 January 2023 - 09:55 PM

I did see Roman doesn't have a contract for next season .

Thank God

#108 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 17 January 2023 - 10:45 PM

It's always the OC's fault. It's been three OC's fault going back to Flacco and before. It's the easiest fall guy in the sport. Now, don't get me wrong - Roman needs to go and HAS been part of the problem, but Lamar is also limited as a passer.

With that said, I literally never said coaching didn't have an impact on QB play. This was a response to all those saying Lamar didn't have the receivers to be successful. You're arguing against something I didn't say. What a waste of keystrokes.

Just say you don't know ball and keep it moving.

• bmore_ken likes this

#109 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,981 posts

Posted 17 January 2023 - 11:56 PM

Just say that reading comprehension isn't your strong suit and keep it moving.

#110 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,821 posts

Posted 18 January 2023 - 12:28 AM

Factz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=