• PrimeTime and russsnyder like this

#2 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 10:33 AM

Figured Id post this here instead of it getting lost in the hot takes of the other threads.

Ravens value stability and staying away from drama. As much as EDC hater La Conforna wants to make you believe otherwise I think that still holds true today. There will be turnover and probably a lot of it for this organization. They will not be doing anything drastic. Harbaugh will be back unless for some reason he wants out. They will again make a strong push to resign Lamar. Guaranteed money still likely off the table but short of that I think they get a deal done. Stability stability stability.

#3 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 10:54 AM

Figured Id post this here instead of it getting lost in the hot takes of the other threads.

Ravens value stability and staying away from drama. As much as EDC hater La Conforna wants to make you believe otherwise I think that still holds true today. There will be turnover and probably a lot of it for this organization. They will not be doing anything drastic. Harbaugh will be back unless for some reason he wants out. They will again make a strong push to resign Lamar. Guaranteed money still likely off the table but short of that I think they get a deal done. Stability stability stability.

You're right. But just because myself, and others are ready to move on from Harbs and LJ and usher in a new era, doesn't mean we think it will happen. 

I don't think Harbs is going anywhere. I would love to see him canned though.

• Dupin and weird-O like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#4 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,798 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 11:05 AM

EDC is not going anywhere, unfortunately.  Lot of blame to go around, but I give him an extra portion of the blame.  He is the one that constructed a roster that was left so badly lacking WRs.  Sure he couldn't foresee Bateman opting for season ending surgery, but he did nothing to improve the WR position from last year and instead weakened it by getting rid of Brown.  He gambled that what they had in house was good enough to get it done and he was terribly wrong.  Not good for a GM who was given money several years ago to insure he would not leave.  

Harbaugh's not likely to go either, although I think the idea that a house cleaning from the head coach down isn't such a bad idea.  I believe in coaching stability as well, but the team just burned through 5 years of LJ on a rookie contract and has 1 playoff win to show for it.  Sometimes a change of philosophy is needed.  But I doubt it will happen.  

#5 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 11:57 AM

EDC is not going anywhere, unfortunately. Lot of blame to go around, but I give him an extra portion of the blame. He is the one that constructed a roster that was left so badly lacking WRs. Sure he couldn't foresee Bateman opting for season ending surgery, but he did nothing to improve the WR position from last year and instead weakened it by getting rid of Brown. He gambled that what they had in house was good enough to get it done and he was terribly wrong. Not good for a GM who was given money several years ago to insure he would not leave.

Harbaugh's not likely to go either, although I think the idea that a house cleaning from the head coach down isn't such a bad idea. I believe in coaching stability as well, but the team just burned through 5 years of LJ on a rookie contract and has 1 playoff win to show for it. Sometimes a change of philosophy is needed. But I doubt it will happen.

They missed on two of the years on his rookie deal because he was unavailable. Period. And thats on Lamar. Not EDC or Harbs or Roman. Injuries happen but thats not something you can put on the coaches. Again Ill say that IMO the biggest argument for moving on from Lamar is his durability concerns.

As far as EDC. He put together the roster on offense that Roman and Harbs wanted to run with Lamar as the QB. And to be honest, while we never repeated the heights of 2019 the offense was still good when Lamar played. It had its ups and downs for sure but it was efficient. Very efficient. Even with Huntley running the show they still move the ball quite well between the 20s. So I just dont get the constant moaning about the roster construction or the decision to run the offense Roman has run. I do think they need to move on from Roman and as Herm put it, do something similar but definitively different offensively.

#6 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 12:19 PM

DeCosta and Newsome are THE REASONS why Harbaugh has a winning record and a Superbowl ring. Getting rid of the talent evaluators that provide a good roster year in, year out, would be a major mistake. Get rid of the coach(es) who fail to get the most out of it.

Said this elsewhere, but Billick went 19-13 over two years with Boller and Wright as the primary QBs for a while. Harbaugh can't win without a QB saving his ass. It WILL NEVER EVER CHANGE.
  • weird-O likes this

#7 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,263 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 12:22 PM

EDC is not going anywhere, unfortunately. Lot of blame to go around, but I give him an extra portion of the blame. He is the one that constructed a roster that was left so badly lacking WRs. Sure he couldn't foresee Bateman opting for season ending surgery, but he did nothing to improve the WR position from last year and instead weakened it by getting rid of Brown. He gambled that what they had in house was good enough to get it done and he was terribly wrong. Not good for a GM who was given money several years ago to insure he would not leave.

Harbaugh's not likely to go either, although I think the idea that a house cleaning from the head coach down isn't such a bad idea. I believe in coaching stability as well, but the team just burned through 5 years of LJ on a rookie contract and has 1 playoff win to show for it. Sometimes a change of philosophy is needed. But I doubt it will happen.

No way EDC deserves much blame. 1. He didn't choose to get rid of Brown. I don't know why that keeps getting brought up. Brown wanted out. He asked to be traded. EDC took a bad situation, and he turned Brown into a second 1st rounder. He traded for Roquan, which made a huge difference down the stretch. He drafted Linderbaum and Hamilton, who both look like future studs, with elite potential. He brought in Moses, who solidified a spot on the O-line that has been questionable since Brown forced his way out. He literally fixed every hole, except WR. And hindsight is a powerful thing. Easy to sit back in your armchair and act like you knew Bateman and Duvernay would get hurt. And Proche and Wallace would regress instead of develop more from their promising showing as rookies. WR is the only hole on this team, as currently constructed. You have a good defensive line. You have a good LBer room with Roquan now. Your secondary is one of the better units in football when healthy. We have a top 10 offensive line, borderline top 5. With a healthy Dobbins and Edwards, we have a stacked backfield. We have a great TE room. And when Lamar is there, we have a top 10 QB.

Not sure how anyone can complain about EDC when he has consistently made the right moves, and has put out a top 10 roster 3 years in a row. With a salary cap, you're going to have to take risks with young players developing. You simply cannot afford to stack every position.
  • Hooded Viper, Mike in STL, mdrunning and 1 other like this

#8 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,024 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 12:33 PM

DeCosta and Newsome are THE REASONS why Harbaugh has a winning record and a Superbowl ring. Getting rid of the talent evaluators that provide a good roster year in, year out, would be a major mistake. Get rid of the coach(es) who fail to get the most out of it.

Said this elsewhere, but Billick went 19-13 over two years with Boller and Wright as the primary QBs for a while. Harbaugh can't win without a QB saving his ass. It WILL NEVER EVER CHANGE.

So Harbaugh gets no credit for any part of the success, and he's the one primarily responsible for the issues which exist?

Truth isn't somewhere in the middle?

#9 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 16 January 2023 - 12:43 PM

I'm no fan of Jason LaCanfora but the tweet of his that Chris posted in his article relates to the stuff I've mentioned about Wink's departure. There's been a change in the culture of the organization and it's not been for the better. The head coach has looked beleaguered for the last month, the OC has been a dead man walking and players are fed up with him/the system, the franchise QB has been mum on an injury until taking to social media about, seemingly without the organization's knowledge or blessing and who knows how the rest of the locker room feels about the circumstances.

The Ravens are about to enter the most critical off-season in the franchise's history and for the first time I can remember, Baltimore looks a bit dysfunctional.

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#10 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 January 2023 - 12:57 PM

IMO, Harbs is one of the few coaches that could’ve had that team with Huntley as limited as he is, ready to go on the road and nearly knock off the reigning AFC champs.
  • DuffMan likes this

#11 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 01:07 PM

So Harbaugh gets no credit for any part of the success, and he's the one primarily responsible for the issues which exist?

Current issues? Yep. It all boils down to him standing idly by while his buddy mismanages offensive personnel in game. For several years now. He won't change. He's proven he won't change.
  • weird-O likes this

#12 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,982 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 01:07 PM

I worry that Harbs has lost the players. I can't remember the last time the Ravens have seemed this fragmented, between Watkins, JK, Lamar, Harbaugh seeming to call out his own OC...this is a team with locker room problems.

#13 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 01:10 PM

I worry that Harbs has lost the players. I can't remember the last time the Ravens have seemed this fragmented, between Watkins, JK, Lamar, Harbaugh seeming to call out his own OC...this is a team with locker room problems.

There should have been a change made after last season. The Lamar injury became a cover providing reason to give Roman a pass, but the fact was, he STILL mismanaged game situations last year too. Should have been made in season at latest, after the game at Cleveland. Remember the first time they made a change at OC in season?

It's never, ever, ever going to change. Like Taylor swift said. Never.

#14 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,728 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 16 January 2023 - 01:14 PM

For an organization that prides itself on stability, I would be surprised if we get some of the sweeping radical changes that some are looking for.  I could even get on board with many of them, but personally not all.

EDC isn't going anywhere, has he been perfect no, but I think he has more hits than misses and I trust him more than some unknown quantity.

I don't see Harbs going anywhere either.  He does plenty that I don't like (clack management for 1), and I hate how he handles the media and discusses injuries but I think he's done enough to warrant another year.

Roman has to go this isn't even up for debate.  I will say this about Harbs, I just advocated keeping him but if he is against Roman's termination and rather he stayed then by  all means get rid of the two of them together.

Lamar from MVP to most hated guy in town (by some).  I've gone back and forth on wanting him around and I think I am on board with moving on from him (the missed games the past 2 years is a big reason for that).  Having said that there is a part of me that would like to franchise him and see what he can do with a new OC before we pull the plug.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#15 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 January 2023 - 01:19 PM

How can he have lost the players but then had a team that literally no one gave any shot to whatsoever that close to a road upset? Players being passionate after a loss isn’t evidence of losing the players.
  • russsnyder likes this

#16 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,982 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 01:30 PM

How can he have lost the players but then had a team that literally no one gave any shot to whatsoever that close to a road upset? Players being passionate after a loss isn’t evidence of losing the players.

You're probably right. I do believe the players have issues in the locker room, but I imagine it's more about Lamar and Roman.

#17 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,982 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 01:31 PM

Related - has there been a more precipitous fall from grace as far as fan and team perception for a Baltimore sports star than Lamar? Maybe Rice and Palmeiro...but that's all that comes to mind.

#18 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,834 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 01:58 PM

Is it really shocking how disloyal people are. I dont even read any of it. There are no real Lamar haters here but I can only imagine on other platforms.

#19 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,447 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 02:30 PM

Is it really shocking how disloyal people are. I dont even read any of it. There are no real Lamar haters here but I can only imagine on other platforms.

Hate, no. Disappointed, yes.
  • Mike in STL likes this

#20 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 16 January 2023 - 07:56 PM

I think if Lamar leaves and Harbaugh does not make it to the playoffs next year he either walks or is fired. I am a lot closer to wanting him gone than I was at the beginning of the year, and his end of game clock "management" doesn't really play into it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=