2648 replies to this topic

#501 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 04 April 2023 - 07:12 AM

The only receiver that will get incensed would be Bateman, because Lamar will be throwing to OBJ, even when he isn’t open. They are good friends, book it!

I have it on good authority from numerous people here Lamar is def gone. So how is he gonna feel abut Huntley throwing Beckham all those balls.
  • Hooded Viper likes this

#502 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 04 April 2023 - 10:06 AM

I have it on good authority from numerous people here Lamar is def gone. So how is he gonna feel abut Huntley throwing Beckham all those balls.

Lamar isn't going anywhere. No team wants him at his asking price. 

#503 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,994 posts

Posted 04 April 2023 - 11:24 AM

Lamar isn't going anywhere. No team wants him at his asking price.

The only real question now is whether the asking price will drop, or he'll hold out until someone meets it.

#504 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,994 posts

Posted 04 April 2023 - 11:52 AM

The Patriots are shopping Mac Jones around.

#505 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 04 April 2023 - 11:54 AM

The only real question now is whether the asking price will drop, or he'll hold out until someone meets it.

Or he plays on the tag for next year's contract negotiations.

#506 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,994 posts

Posted 04 April 2023 - 12:20 PM

Or he plays on the tag for next year's contract negotiations.

You think so?

I know it's a possibility, but he seems like the kind of guy to dig his heels in and decide if he doesn't get what he wants he's going to take his ball and go home. I guess we'll see.

#507 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 04 April 2023 - 12:26 PM

You think so?

I know it's a possibility, but he seems like the kind of guy to dig his heels in and decide if he doesn't get what he want he's going to take his ball and go home. I guess we'll see.

It's just one of the possibilities. The reality is if he decides to hold out. That basically means he will have been off the field for a season and a half. Who's going to want to pay $45-50M a season for that next season?  It would make more sense to take your $32M and play lights out . 

• Steve55 and JStruds like this

#508 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 04 April 2023 - 01:02 PM

It's just one of the possibilities. The reality is if he decides to hold out. That basically means he will have been off the field for a season and a half. Who's going to want to pay $45-50M a season for that next season?  It would make more sense to take your $32M and play lights out . 

I agree with this part - I feel like playing on the tag is his best bet and then hold out next year if the Ravens don't get a deal done.

#509 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,264 posts

Posted 04 April 2023 - 01:24 PM

The Patriots are shopping Mac Jones around.

People think Lamar Jackson is an immature idiot. If they go back and pay attention to this clown, they'd be apologizing to Lamar. Hard pass.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#510 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,994 posts

Posted 04 April 2023 - 02:09 PM

People think Lamar Jackson is an immature idiot. If they go back and pay attention to this clown, they'd be apologizing to Lamar. Hard pass.

It was meant more as an interesting tidbit considering how much the media wants to tie Lamar to the Pats. I don't want Mac Jones.

#511 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 04 April 2023 - 02:25 PM

I know nothing about Mac Jones' immaturity, and don't particularly want him, but if the team decided they can't keep Lamar I think you could do worse as a bridge to the next guy and you'd have him for 2/4.9M, with a year to figure out the 5th year option. He was decent his rookie year with a real OC; this year he had a defensive coordinator as his de facto OC and play caller and a special teams coach as his QB coach, not sure what to make of that. But if I'm willing to give Lamar mostly a pass for Roman's passing game I have to give Jones some of a pass for that.

But again, I know zero of the immaturity Biggsy mentions so if that's reason enough to avoid him I'm ok with that.

#512 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,422 posts

Posted 04 April 2023 - 02:31 PM

Re: OBJ, FWIW a month ago Monken was fine with it:

https://www.baltimor...-wide-receivers

New Ravens Offensive Coordinator Todd Monken made his feelings on the position clear. He wants to utilize wide receivers more, and he wants them to know they're going to be involved.

Much of that viewpoint was evident in his answer about free-agent wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr., who he coached in Cleveland in 2019. Beckham had no issue voicing his desire for the ball back then.

"He's like every skill player; he's no different – I don't know why everybody gets pissed off – like, he wants the ball. Well, really? I don't know where I've been where a great player didn't want the ball," Monken said.

"I don't know where a basketball player didn't want shots or a baseball player didn't want to get at-bats. That's what they want; they want opportunities to showcase their ability. I think it's awesome."

I'm mostly indifferent. Perhaps he has gained perspective after getting older and being hurt, or perhaps as Monken says it doesn't really matter. I'm more concerned with how much he has left and whether he'll be 100% again, as we saw this year ACLs can take well over a year to be right. They do still need to do something at WR.

#513 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,213 posts

Posted 04 April 2023 - 02:47 PM

It's a typical Ravens move at the wide receiver position.  Get a guy past his prime years, injury prone, relatively cheap, and hope you catch lightning in a bottle and be productive for a year or two.  But with OBJ, you've got all that other baggage to go along with it.  I'd rather they just draft a wide receiver and use the money elsewhere. 

#514 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 04 April 2023 - 02:52 PM

If OBJ comes cheap, real cheap, I could live with it. 

But shelling out big money for FA WRs seems like a losing bet. Look at the contracts given out the last 4 or 5 years. The best guys are kept by their teams, or traded. The ones let go to free agency get big dollars and don't live up to it. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#515 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 04 April 2023 - 02:55 PM

They have 5 draft picks. QB has to be one. WR should be one. DB should be one, Edge should be one, and of course who ever brother Jim and father Jack like alot that have no business being in the NFL, but it'd be nice to give them a shot rather than take the pick seriously. 

• PrimeTime likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#516 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 04 April 2023 - 03:08 PM

They have 5 draft picks. QB has to be one. WR should be one. DB should be one, Edge should be one, and of course who ever brother Jim and father Jack like alot that have no business being in the NFL, but it'd be nice to give them a shot rather than take the pick seriously. 

AKA the guy who they will trade away in two years in exchange for swapping 6th and 7th Rd picks

#517 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,898 posts

Posted 04 April 2023 - 06:03 PM

I agree with this part - I feel like playing on the tag is his best bet and then hold out next year if the Ravens don't get a deal done.

If he plays well his trade value increases.

#518 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 04 April 2023 - 08:13 PM

I kind of get why they would do it.  They're desperate.  I think they realize that no matter how good your team is, you are going to have a hard time getting over the hump in the AFC if you can't throw.  Even with Lamar they are tier 2 contenders behind KC, Cincy, and Buffalo.  And it's because of their passing game.  

Lamar may not be the best quality passer in the league, but with his dynamic ability he could lead an above average passing game if the Ravens had a decent set of receivers.  He counts on Andrews to bail him out most of the time because he has sub standard receivers.  Nelson Aglahor does nothing to move that needle.  Does OBJ?  Who knows.  He is certainly better by a long shot than anything the Ravens have, but the question is can he stay healthy and can he stay happy.  If so there's an upside and if not they are back in the same boat.  They'll have another receiver with a high upside who can't stay on the field.  

#519 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 04 April 2023 - 09:00 PM

Beckham would be my guess for the best receiver in the room. Certainly possible that Bateman steps up and is clearly better, that's the hope and I don't think it's an unrealistic hope. But adding Beckham gives you a legit solid WR, though no longer a game changer. He and Agholor raise the floor a lot of Bateman and Duvernay can't be the 1/2 for whatever reason. I'd like it. If he's a problem, then you cut him and he'll be short of all his incenctives.

#520 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,581 posts

Posted 04 April 2023 - 09:26 PM

Steve Smith Sr. vibes. I'd take Bateman (assuming he can ever stay healthy), Beckham, Agholor, and Duvernay over the WR room we had last year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=