2648 replies to this topic

#541 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,806 posts

Posted 18 April 2023 - 07:05 PM

I thought that myself.  Wasn't he on the Ravens radar when he was with Chicago.  I think he's a better option than Agholor considering he's had 3 1000+ yard seasons with Chicago and Jax.   A little older, but considering he was practically a steal seemed like it was a risk worth taking.  I kind of wondered why the Steelers wanted him given they have Pickens and Johnson, and then I saw his price tag was virtually nothing.  I guess he becomes their #3 WR.    

#542 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 01 May 2023 - 11:35 AM

Jeff Z said they will not pick up Queen’s option. The way they’ve talked that seemed clear.

#543 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,977 posts

Posted 01 May 2023 - 12:06 PM

I know we all remember it, but was pretty much unanimous praise for the Queen pick at the time.  Even when you follow good process, things often don't work out in the draft. 

• bmore_ken likes this

#544 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,357 posts

Posted 01 May 2023 - 12:13 PM

I mean I dont really like ILB in the first unless they are special and you are damn sure they are gonna be special. Not sure about the overall feeling of the pick. Prob could find the draft thread if we wanted. He was the 28th pick during Covid with not as much prep time. Things were crazy. I do remember the criticism that he didnt even start until the middle of the '19 season

#545 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,524 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 May 2023 - 12:17 PM

I remember his talent and upside being universally praised, but the definitive question mark of experience and rawness as well. Which obviously bore fruit unfortunately. Same as Oweh TBH, although Queen was definitely much more accepted than Oweh where you heard the “raw”/“project” thing much more than Queen.

Either way, I love me some Roquan Smith. Queen wanted it, I respect him. Wasn’t not a fan, even with some of the frustrations. Wish him well.

#546 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,357 posts

Posted 01 May 2023 - 12:27 PM

Still think we are headed for a divorce before the season. But then again, I think other teams know what the deal is with Queen. What would you pay for 1 yr of a guy who needs someone good beside him. Would jump at a 3rd. I think more likely its probably a 4th +. Maybe 4th in '24and 5th in '25. Something like that
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#547 St.Steveg

St.Steveg
  • Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 01 May 2023 - 12:51 PM

Still think we are headed for a divorce before the season. But then again, I think other teams know what the deal is with Queen. What would you pay for 1 yr of a guy who needs someone good beside him. Would jump at a 3rd. I think more likely its probably a 4th +. Maybe 4th in '24and 5th in '25. Something like that

I don't understand. What is the value of that? He's played well since Smith joined, why not let him play out the year and take the comp when he moves on?

#548 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,357 posts

Posted 01 May 2023 - 12:56 PM

Thats a possibility. The potential problem is twofold. You arent assured compensation. Any FAs you sign are going to go into the formula and Mackus already speculated hes probably not worth a 3rd round comp pick anyway. Even before the formula is calculated. You also are looking at a '25 pick if its a comp pick. A year later to wait. They will weigh compensation on a draft pick now vs letting him play out '23.

#549 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 01 May 2023 - 01:12 PM

I think they keep Queen this year, I don't think they will get some great pick for a one year rental of a decent but not great off ball LB. He probably would have been gone already if he had good trade value. He likely won't get a top comp pick either, it is what it is so he's more useful helping the team this year.

Just like last year Clark wanted a trade and they were content to keep him and ease Hamilton into the lineup. Same deal, Simpson isn't a 1st round day 1 starter, let him ease in, use him to his strengths while Queen gets the bulk of the time. You already know he paired nicely with Smith, you don't want to trade him and then the team is worse because Simpson and Ross aren't quite ready, you just created a hole for little return. Again, if the return was good they'd probably take that risk but it's probably not there.

• Mackus and 1970 like this

#550 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,645 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 01 May 2023 - 01:31 PM

I think they let Queen play the year out.  He IMO, has turned into a good weak side LB, but when you are paying Smith, Williams and Humphrey big contracts and Lamar a massive contract, you have to make tough decisions.

@mikeghg

#551 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,357 posts

Posted 01 May 2023 - 01:51 PM

Totally fine with that. Ive just thought that he has maybe asked for a trade behind the scenes. Like a real trade request, not a Lamar fake trade request. Ravens usually try to accomodate those requests. That said, I do think its fair to speculate if a trade was going to happen it wouldve already happened.

#552 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,572 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 01 May 2023 - 02:01 PM

I know we all remember it, but was pretty much unanimous praise for the Queen pick at the time. Even when you follow good process, things often don't work out in the draft.

I think he was given too much responsibility and it made him play slower while everyone around him got faster. He was much more decisive in college. He spends too long diagnosing plays in thr NFL and it puts him in a bad spot. Once we got Roquan he seemed to play with his previous aggressiveness again. But he's still a liability in coverage and I don't know what can be done to fix that.

I liked the pick but I assumed he'd he able to cover, and he couldn't.

#553 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,357 posts

Posted 01 May 2023 - 02:11 PM

I think he was given too much responsibility and it made him play slower while everyone around him got faster. He was much more decisive in college. He spends too long diagnosing plays in thr NFL and it puts him in a bad spot. Once we got Roquan he seemed to play with his previous aggressiveness again. But he's still a liability in coverage and I don't know what can be done to fix that.

I liked the pick but I assumed he'd he able to cover, and he couldn't.

100%. We can acknowledge all the ways his game improved once he got comfortable playing next to Smith. He still was and surly will continue to be a liability in coverage

#554 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 01 May 2023 - 02:31 PM

What bothers me most is that Queen is still a good bet to miss an open field / in space one-on-one tackle. It was still an issue to my eyes even after Roquan arrived and Queen was suddenly not as much of a liability. And while he made more plays with smaller zones of responsibility, I still see him give away too many yards in spots where putting a helmet in the guy's chest and bringing him down on the spot could end drives...

#555 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,524 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 01 May 2023 - 02:36 PM

Totally fine with that. Ive just thought that he has maybe asked for a trade behind the scenes. Like a real trade request, not a Lamar fake trade request. Ravens usually try to accomodate those requests. That said, I do think its fair to speculate if a trade was going to happen it wouldve already happened.

That's what I was thinking too. I thought I heard he scrubbed his social media of Ravens stuff, so was thinking maybe he was on his way out. That said, draft time would've made a lot more sense IMO, given the window we're in.

#556 Steve55

Steve55

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,899 posts

Posted 02 May 2023 - 05:49 AM

I remember his talent and upside being universally praised, but the definitive question mark of experience and rawness as well. Which obviously bore fruit unfortunately. Same as Oweh TBH, although Queen was definitely much more accepted than Oweh where you heard the “raw”/“project” thing much more than Queen.

Either way, I love me some Roquan Smith. Queen wanted it, I respect him. Wasn’t not a fan, even with some of the frustrations. Wish him well.

The Ravens wanted Murray. The Chargers declined his option.

#557 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 02 May 2023 - 10:55 AM

Man Facebook is full of some of the most uneducated sports fans on the planet. This is one of the comments made about the team not picking up Queen's option

Chase Strader

This is what happens .. when one man’s greed kills a team

:D

#558 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,524 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 May 2023 - 10:59 AM

Man Facebook is full of some of the most uneducated sports fans on the planet. This is one of the comments made about the team not picking up Queen's option

Clearly they are referencing Roquan Smith. ;)

#559 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 02 May 2023 - 11:00 AM

Clearly they are referencing Roquan Smith. ;)

:mrgreen:  :mrgreen:

#560 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 02 May 2023 - 11:47 AM

That same person has probably dogged Queen many times over the last 3 years on that same social media site. Too funny.

• bmore_ken likes this
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (3)

Our Sponsors

width=