2648 replies to this topic

#481 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,410 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 27 March 2023 - 02:56 PM

Is there really such a thing as selling and rebuilding in football? It's not like you're stocking a farm system. If you don't have a top draft pick you aren't likely to strike an immediate impact player in the draft.

Miami tried it a few years back when they traded Tunsil, Fitzpatrick and Tannehill. Of course it didn't quite work....they exceeded expectations and only had the 5th pick. Maybe that's why they fired Flores?

#482 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,709 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 27 March 2023 - 02:56 PM

Is there really such a thing as selling and rebuilding in football? It's not like you're stocking a farm system. If you don't have a top draft pick you aren't likely to strike an immediate impact player in the draft.

If you could shed your high priced players for draft picks, you could clear cap space and get younger. With more draft picks, you have a better chance of hitting the proverbial lottery. Then, with additional cap space, you could be more aggressive in the UFA market or take on contracts of players from other teams through trades.

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#483 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 03:22 PM

I don't think we're better than Cincy, Buffalo or KC. During the Lamar era, we haven't been able to get past the divisional round and the roster hasn't gotten better since the end of last season. Of course there's still off-season left to go but as of this moment, we're no better than 10 win team.

If not for an inept OC we would have knocked Cincy out of the playoffs.

#484 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 03:38 PM

If you could shed your high priced players for draft picks, you could clear cap space and get younger. With more draft picks, you have a better chance of hitting the proverbial lottery. Then, with additional cap space, you could be more aggressive in the UFA market or take on contracts of players from other teams through trades.

Other than Ronnie Stanley (who would carry a $29 million dead cap hit if traded this year), the guys the Ravens could possibly trade aren't exactly huge difference makers. I don't see guys like Dobbins, Queen, Duvernay, or Bowser fetching much more than perhaps a Day 2 pick in the draft. The Ravens have until May 1 to pick up Patrick Queen's fifth-year option, so that might be a possibility. I doubt if he's here beyond his rookie contract to begin with.

Unless, of course, the plan is to try and take those picks and use them to somehow move up in the draft. As of now, I'm guessing the Ravens, who are No. 22, will look to move down and try and pick up a few more selections. 

#485 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 07:53 PM

I don't think they should be sellers.  They've invested a lot of draft capital into getting some young players at key positions.  If they were going to be sellers then they should have let Roquan Smith walk.  Why are you signing a key piece to a long term contract if you are going to start selling off other pieces of the team?

I agree they are probably fringe SB contenders, but a solid team in the playoff mix.  They have the same problem other teams like the Jets, Miami, Jacksonville, etc have:  They play in the AFC where the top 3 teams are clearly a tier above everyone else.  But I don't think selling off is the solution.  

#486 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 06:03 AM

https://www.theringe...s-franchise-tag

#487 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 29 March 2023 - 07:08 AM

Balt Sun: Ravens met with OBJ

https://www.baltimor...yZJAFgxkQQ-pDNU

#488 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 29 March 2023 - 07:10 AM

No thanks.

#489 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 29 March 2023 - 01:22 PM

Please no

#490 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,410 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 29 March 2023 - 01:43 PM

Looks like Campbell will be playing with Atlanta this season.

#491 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,213 posts

Posted 29 March 2023 - 03:20 PM

Please no

I can't see them going down that road.  Even with Lamar behind center, he'd never get enough targets to satisfy his ego.  There would be major problems at some point during the season.  If EDC pulls the trigger on that guy, I'd say his common sense leaves plenty to be desired. 

#492 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 29 March 2023 - 03:41 PM

No thanks.

Please no

This is a prime example of conversations the brass of football teams have like the Commanders GM made public. 

OBJ is a talented player, he can help the Ravens win as he's an upgrade over every receiver on the roster. But we're all, including me BTW, saying "no thanks" for our "various reasons." 

The league currently views Lamar the way we view OBJ right here.

• bmore_ken likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#493 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,946 posts

Posted 30 March 2023 - 08:02 AM

He should apologize for acting like a pre-Madonna.

Hey, they did a pre-Madonna joke on Ted Lasso!

#494 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,092 posts

Posted 02 April 2023 - 08:50 AM

#495 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 04 April 2023 - 05:06 AM

The Ravens have made an offer to OBJ.

https://profootballt...-jr-a-contract/

#496 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 04 April 2023 - 06:20 AM

I like it. Also can be real creative with it capwise since you can make basically everything NLTBE incentives that won't count against the cap this season.

#497 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 04 April 2023 - 06:21 AM

The Ravens have made an offer to OBJ.

https://profootballt...-jr-a-contract/

Ughhh

#498 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,213 posts

Posted 04 April 2023 - 06:30 AM

Ughhh

Should we start a pool the minute he's signed and pick when the exact moment's going to be during the season where he becomes incensed that he's not getting enough targets?  

#499 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 04 April 2023 - 06:59 AM

Should we start a pool the minute he's signed and pick when the exact moment's going to be during the season where he becomes incensed that he's not getting enough targets?

The only receiver that will get incensed would be Bateman, because Lamar will be throwing to OBJ, even when he isn’t open. They are good friends, book it!

#500 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts

Posted 04 April 2023 - 07:02 AM

Fortunately I doubt he's coming to the Ravens.

• sandiegosean likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=