Photo

Poll: what is your offseason grade so far

• Please log in to reply
157 replies to this topic

Poll: What is your grade for the Orioles offseason? (28 member(s) have cast votes)

Cast your vote!

1. A (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. B (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

3. C (2 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

4. D (12 votes [42.86%])

Percentage of vote: 42.86%

5. F (14 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,588 posts

Posted 23 December 2022 - 05:18 PM

I'd love to see a justification for a C.

Just ask Bob why he voted a C.

#22 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,362 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 23 December 2022 - 05:27 PM

Just ask Bob why he voted a C.

He doesn't seem to want to defend his position.

I wouldn't either if I were taking this stand.  :grin:

• BaltBird 24, BSLSteveBirrer and bmore_ken like this

#23 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,474 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 December 2022 - 05:52 PM

Leave Bob alone. He has his reasons and he’s hasn’t gotten in our faces this entire off-season trying to contradict any one. Which I respect.
  • BobPhelan, Pedro Cerrano and Mike B like this

#24 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,257 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 23 December 2022 - 05:55 PM

Pretty hard to understand how, thus far, they are even close to a C. Curious to hear the explanation since none of the types of moves made yet were on anybody's pre offseason wish list.

#25 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 23 December 2022 - 05:59 PM

I'd love to see a justification for a C.

Mike Elias voted.
  • mweb08 likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#26 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,588 posts

Posted 23 December 2022 - 06:02 PM

Leave Bob alone. He has his reasons and he’s hasn’t gotten in our faces this entire off-season trying to contradict any one. Which I respect.

It was a joke. I don't think Bob is that sensitive.
  • You Play to Win the Game and BobPhelan like this

#27 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,996 posts

Posted 23 December 2022 - 06:06 PM

Boy look at all those F grades from people who just want to do something to do something.

#28 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 23 December 2022 - 06:07 PM

I said D+/C- in the other thread and I’m a glass half full guy plus it’s the holiday season haha.

I think they raised the floor of the roster to try and fight against regression while keeping enough flexibility to continue to improve. Glass half full.

#29 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,257 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 23 December 2022 - 06:14 PM

I said D+/C- in the other thread and I’m a glass half full guy plus it’s the holiday season haha.

I think they raised the floor of the roster to try and fight against regression while keeping enough flexibility to continue to improve. Glass half full.

I might agree that they "raised the floor" but here's the problem I see with that. That doesn't really do much for improving the teams playoff chances. It really just means they don't fall as far behind. We need ceiling raisers not floor raisers;  players whose reasonable expectations would be to be better than average MLB players.

• Mike B likes this

#30 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,362 posts

Posted 23 December 2022 - 06:17 PM

Did you share your hopes for this offseason ahead of time? What did you want to see accomplished?

#31 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 23 December 2022 - 06:30 PM

I might agree that they "raised the floor" but here's the problem I see with that. That doesn't really do much for improving the teams playoff chances. It really just means they don't fall as far behind. We need ceiling raisers not floor raisers; players whose reasonable expectations would be to be better than average MLB players.

I agree, just willing to see how the full offseason plays out.

#32 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 23 December 2022 - 06:37 PM

Did you share your hopes for this offseason ahead of time? What did you want to see accomplished?

I have a weekly orioles podcast hosted by this website so I’m sure that I have. I’ve also posted my dream offseason on here but realistically I thought:

- get a backup catcher, I said Jorge Alfaro/Austin Hedges
- get a middle of the order bat, I said Michael Brantley
- get a second baseman, I said Jean Segura
- get two SP - one from FA, on from trade. I was thinking along the lines of Bassitt and Burnes/Bieber/maybe Pablo Lopez
- get a RP if one lines up, I said Matt Moore

So if they trade for a mid to top of the rotation starter and acquire another bat I think it’s an easy success. We’ll see. But even if things stay how they are it’s not a complete disaster considering our economy in-house options. But I would be very frustrated at that point.
  • You Play to Win the Game and mweb08 like this

#33 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,362 posts

Posted 23 December 2022 - 07:02 PM

I have a weekly orioles podcast hosted by this website so I’m sure that I have. I’ve also posted my dream offseason on here but realistically I thought:

- get a backup catcher, I said Jorge Alfaro/Austin Hedges
- get a middle of the order bat, I said Michael Brantley
- get a second baseman, I said Jean Segura
- get two SP - one from FA, on from trade. I was thinking along the lines of Bassitt and Burnes/Bieber/maybe Pablo Lopez
- get a RP if one lines up, I said Matt Moore

So if they trade for a mid to top of the rotation starter and acquire another bat I think it’s an easy success. We’ll see. But even if things stay how they are it’s not a complete disaster considering our economy in-house options. But I would be very frustrated at that point.

Thanks. 

Yeah, I like what you realistically thought quite a bit. 

While there remains some hope that they could do some of what you thought (obviously not necessarily the exact players you list), the moves to date are so far beneath this that it's hard to see how a C could be the conclusion. But sure, glass half full and tis the season and all. 

I disagree about the complete disaster part although I probably actually agree with what you mean by that. I assume you mean that they still would have an enticing roster, one with legit solid or better options everywhere. That I agree with. While I would still see plenty of reason for optimism for 2023 and beyond, I however think that the offseason would be a disaster because the opportunity would be squandered to greatly improve the 2023 team, and even more problematic is that opportunity was so immense and did not require much cost to the future. 

• BobPhelan likes this

#34 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,474 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 December 2022 - 07:05 PM

What if Elias is actually able to win a World Series with an almost completely home grown roster?
  • BobPhelan likes this

#35 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 23 December 2022 - 07:07 PM

Thanks.

Yeah, I like what you realistically thought quite a bit.

While there remains some hope that they could do some of what you thought (obviously not necessarily the exact players you list), the moves to date are so far beneath this that it's hard to see how a C could be the conclusion. But sure, glass half full and tis the season and all.

I disagree about the complete disaster part although I probably actually agree with what you mean by that. I assume you mean that they still would have an enticing roster, one with legit solid or better options everywhere. That I agree with. While I would still see plenty of reason for optimism for 2023 and beyond, I however think that the offseason would be a disaster because the opportunity would be squandered to greatly improve the 2023 team, and even more problematic is that opportunity was so immense and did not require much cost to the future.

That’s fair.

I’m fine with the moves to date even though they don’t excite. Need to put some flavorful icing on top of the bland cake.

#36 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 23 December 2022 - 07:08 PM

What if Elias is actually able to win a World Series with an almost completely home grown roster?

That would be fun. But so would winning a World Series with a bunch of mercenaries. Just win a World Series haha.
  • BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#37 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,474 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 December 2022 - 07:10 PM

That would be fun. But so would winning a World Series with a bunch of mercenaries. Just win a World Series haha.

I mean that’s where I am. I think people like you who are much more knowledgeable on the soon-to-arrive talent generally seem a lot more comfortable about the future regardless of this off-season.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#38 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 23 December 2022 - 07:15 PM

I mean that’s where I am. I think people like you who are much more knowledgeable on the soon-to-arrive talent generally seem a lot more comfortable about the future regardless of this off-season.

For sure.

#39 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,893 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 23 December 2022 - 07:30 PM

If we assume the 2017 team would've still won through Kosher means, here's the breakdown of their normal 1-9 and the 4 starters who appeared in the WS

C - Brian McCann - 2016 trade

1B - Yuli Gurriel - 2016 int FA (he was an established older player at this point, not a 16-year-old fwiw)

2B - Jose Altuve - 2007 int FA

SS - Carlos Correa - 2012 #1 ovr pick

3B - Alex Bregman - 2015 #2 ovr pick
LF - Marwin Gonzalez - 2011 trade 

CF - George Springer - 2008 #11 ovr pick

RF - Josh Reddick - 2016-17 offseason free agent

DH - Carlos Beltran - 2016-17 offseason free agent

SP - Justin Verlander - 2017 deadline trade

SP - Lance McCullers Jr - 2012 #41 ovr pick (second pick for the Astros after Correa)

SP - Dallas Keuchel - 2009 7th round pick

SP - Charlie Morton - 2016-17 offseason free agent

I'm not picking the 2022 roster because that's much further along in their rebuild than we are now

she/her

#40 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,101 posts

Posted 23 December 2022 - 09:32 PM

I'd rather have an extended run of annual contention vs one title.

Which is part of the reason I'd be annoyed at giving up extended depth for a quality starter when you could have utilized FA.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=