412 replies to this topic

#341 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,807 posts

Posted 18 December 2022 - 08:12 PM

Ok, here's a fun one for you.  I talked about how ending up as the highest wild card would not necessarily be the worst thing for the Ravens as they would likely go to Tennessee who is struggling big time.  But things have changed a little thanks to today's madness.

The Titans are now 7-7.  The Jacksonville Jaguars are 6-8, one game behind.  Jax plays @Jets and @Texans the next two weeks.  Titans play home to the Texans and Cowboys.   They play each other in Jacksonville the last weekend of the season.  If Jacksonville can stay one game behind going into that final game, it is for the division by virtue of Jacksonville beating Tennessee earlier.  Jacksonville can win that division.

And if they do, and the Ravens end up the highest seeded wild card, guess who travels to Jacksonville on that first playoff weekend?    

#342 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 18 December 2022 - 08:26 PM

Assuming they get past the Jets, which isn't guaranteed, Jacksonville had better not take that matchup against Houston lightly. (Geez, when's the last time you ever heard of anyone saying that about the Jaguars?). The Texans gave Dallas and Kansas City all they could handle the past two weeks. 

If the Ravens end up as the No. 3 seed, I'm guessing they could be matched up with Miami as a first-round opponent. If the Dolphins beat the Pats and Jets over these final three weeks, they're in with at least 10 wins. Facing them again isn't a pleasant proposition, either, but Miami has been severely trending in the wrong direction of late.

#343 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,434 posts

Posted 18 December 2022 - 08:52 PM

Ok, here's a fun one for you. I talked about how ending up as the highest wild card would not necessarily be the worst thing for the Ravens as they would likely go to Tennessee who is struggling big time. But things have changed a little thanks to today's madness.

The Titans are now 7-7. The Jacksonville Jaguars are 6-8, one game behind. Jax plays @Jets and @Texans the next two weeks. Titans play home to the Texans and Cowboys. They play each other in Jacksonville the last weekend of the season. If Jacksonville can stay one game behind going into that final game, it is for the division by virtue of Jacksonville beating Tennessee earlier. Jacksonville can win that division.

And if they do, and the Ravens end up the highest seeded wild card, guess who travels to Jacksonville on that first playoff weekend?

Give me the home gamr, 3 seed, and whoever the 6 seed is. Probably Miami again
  • Mackus likes this

#344 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,858 posts

Posted 18 December 2022 - 09:06 PM

Give me the home gamr, 3 seed, and whoever the 6 seed is. Probably Miami again

I'll take my chances on the road against Tennessee or Jacksonville than home against Miami again.

#345 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,807 posts

Posted 18 December 2022 - 09:12 PM

If the Ravens ended up as the 3 seed, Miami or the Chargers are the most likely opponents.  Both are warm weather teams that would be coming into a potential cold weather environment.  

After this weekend though I believe they are more likely to end up as the WC and the #5 seed.  I do not expect them to win the final game in Cincinnati so I thought the best avenue to winning the division was to have a 1 game lead on Cincy going into it and also owning the tiebreakers.  The loss yesterday combined with Cincinnati winning today has given Cincy a cushion.  As long as they don't lose to both New England and Buffalo, they control their destiny.  

But it is also possible that the Ravens could fall all the way to the #7 seed and play either KC or Buffalo.  They currently have 5 losses.  A loss to Cincy would make them 11-6.   Miami plays Green Bay and the Jets at home, NE on the road.  If they win out they would be 11-6 and own the tiebreaker on the Ravens.   The Chargers play Indy and Broncos on the road, the Rams at home.  If they win out they would be 11-6 and they would win the tiebreaker on the Ravens based on conference record.  But that's a long shot that both the Dolphins and the Chargers win out.  

Now, if one of them wins out and the Ravens lose to Cincy, the Ravens would be the #6 seed and face Cincinnati in Cincinnati for the second straight week.  

A lot of ifs.

#346 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 December 2022 - 09:13 PM

Yeah they’re not winning the division. It would be a very pleasant surprise at this point.

#347 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,165 posts

Posted 18 December 2022 - 09:15 PM

It doesn't really matter what spot they get. This isn't a super bowl winning team.
  • BaltBird 24 likes this

#348 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,858 posts

Posted 18 December 2022 - 09:22 PM

It doesn't really matter what spot they get. This isn't a super bowl winning team.

Agreed. Another participation trophy one and done playoff appearance.

#349 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,295 posts

Posted 18 December 2022 - 09:27 PM

100% guarantee that this was said multiple times in 2012 season. That Superbowl team was arguably the weakest overall team the Ravens had in that Superbowl window.

It's the NFL, every team is flawed. We've been playing with our backup QB the past 3 weeks, and are 2-1 in that span. Like it or not, good teams find ways to win, bad teams find ways to lose. This team has found ways to win more than they've found ways to lose them.

On paper, sure, they're probably the 5th or 6th best team. But games aren't played on paper. Get Lamar back and stay healthy the rest of the way, and this team can beat anyone on any given day.

#350 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 December 2022 - 09:32 PM

100% guarantee that this was said multiple times in 2012 season. That Superbowl team was arguably the weakest overall team the Ravens had in that Superbowl window.

It's the NFL, every team is flawed. We've been playing with our backup QB the past 3 weeks, and are 2-1 in that span. Like it or not, good teams find ways to win, bad teams find ways to lose. This team has found ways to win more than they've found ways to lose them.

On paper, sure, they're probably the 5th or 6th best team. But games aren't played on paper. Get Lamar back and stay healthy the rest of the way, and this team can beat anyone on any given day.

I said it in 2012. This will be hard to believe for those of you who weren’t around at the other board back then, but I had an epic meltdown after that Denver loss at home. Thought that was officially the closing of that window.

I don’t think it’s likely, but if most of our best players are healthy heading into the playoffs, anything can happen. Lamar is better than 2012 Flacco. If he and the offense are healthy, and the defense keeps playing like they are, no one will be excited about facing Baltimore, I can promise you that.
  • Mackus likes this

#351 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,858 posts

Posted 18 December 2022 - 09:41 PM

I said it in 2012. This will be hard to believe for those of you who weren’t around at the other board back then, but I had an epic meltdown after that Denver loss at home. Thought that was officially the closing of that window.

I don’t think it’s likely, but if most of our best players are healthy heading into the playoffs, anything can happen. Lamar is better than 2012 Flacco. If he and the offense are healthy, and the defense keeps playing like they are, no one will be excited about facing Baltimore, I can promise you that.

To be fair, the window did close in 2012. They just got lucky enough to get extremely hot at the right time.

#352 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,807 posts

Posted 18 December 2022 - 09:43 PM

I agree that anything can happen on any given Sunday.  And certainly the Ravens could beat anyone on any given Sunday with the right execution and the right breaks.  

What I don't believe can happen is that the Raven's put together 3 consecutive "On any given Sunday" performances, especially on the road.  They just haven't shown that consistency.

#353 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 December 2022 - 09:51 PM

I agree that anything can happen on any given Sunday. And certainly the Ravens could beat anyone on any given Sunday with the right execution and the right breaks.

What I don't believe can happen is that the Raven's put together 3 consecutive "On any given Sunday" performances, especially on the road. They just haven't shown that consistency.

Yeah it’s very unlikely. The one thing giving me hope is this offense really hasn’t had much if any run with Stanley, Dobbins and Gus all clicking. If Lamar really can come back 100%, and these guys stay healthy, I’m not going to completely close the door quite yet.

#354 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 18 December 2022 - 09:57 PM

After last night I wouldn’t be worried about Miami playing in the cold. The Bills just happened to have the ball last or Miami is a winner.

Miami is a bad matchup for the Ravens. Rather play the Bills again.
  • BaltBird 24 likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#355 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,434 posts

Posted 18 December 2022 - 10:04 PM

I'll take my chances on the road against Tennessee or Jacksonville than home against Miami again.

No. Plus there is still a chance of hosting a Div or Champ game in Baltimore if you are the 3 seed. Virtually no chance if you are the 5 seed.

#356 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,413 posts

Posted 19 December 2022 - 12:38 AM

Not that anyone probably cares, but while we're on the subject of playoffs, December 19 is the anniversary of the "Snow Game," also known as the 1948 NFL Championship between the Eagles and the then-Chicago Cardinals.

Played in near-blizzard conditions at Philly's Shibe Park, the snow covered the field so rapidly that the yard markers were rendered useless; instead NFL commissioner Bert Bell ordered that chains be used to mark first downs. There would be no measurements and all referees' decisions would be final. 

Ironically, the Eagles' Steve Van Buren, the Hall of Fame running back who would score the lone touchdown in Philly's 7-0 win over the defending champion Cardinals, nearly missed the game altogether. The story was that when he woke up that morning and saw the snow-covered roads, he assumed the game would be postponed and went back to bed. Only after he was informed that the game was indeed to be played did he set out for the park. With his car snowed in, Van Buren made the crosstown journey via three different trolleys and even walked six blocks to barely make it to the park on time.

• Mike in STL likes this

#357 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 19 December 2022 - 05:12 AM

Is it difficult / borderline unfair to ask for more from Lamar?

He's literally put the team on his back in several games for wins. What more do you want him to do. You'd probably be better in asking more from the OC.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#358 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 19 December 2022 - 05:54 AM

I suppose you'd rather be the Bears or Cardinals.  :???:

#359 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 19 December 2022 - 05:55 AM

IMO, we have a much better defense now than the one that played Miami early in the season. I truly don't care who we get in the playoffs.

#360 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,634 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 19 December 2022 - 08:55 AM

Man our fan base is spoiled.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."