412 replies to this topic

#401 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,115 posts

Posted 19 December 2022 - 03:28 PM

This is too much fun... I've dubbed this the conjoined twins double curl...

Jackson and Andrews run the same route, side by side. This allows one guy to effectively cover two receiving targets. :)

That's Jackson and Andrews in the highlighted circle.

That's my favorite. When they bunch all the receivers in one part of the field.

#402 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 19 December 2022 - 03:54 PM

They aren't going anywhere unless they start going run heavy with 40+ carries a game. And that's with Lamar in there too. So simple yet seemingly beyond the grasp of our coaching staff. I would like to say Roman learned his lesson in Cleveland but we all know that's not the case.

Obviously you have to pass the ball sometimes to keep defenses honest and situationally. But, with Andrews and Duvernay somewhat off lately, I don't care if we look like the Army/Navy game on offense. It's the right answer given the current team make up and performance.

Edit. Also, and some of you smarter Xs and O's guys can correct me if I'm wrong, my observation during this game was that Cleveland DID NOT load the box to stop the run on most downs.

#403 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 19 December 2022 - 03:56 PM

This is too much fun... I've dubbed this the conjoined twins double curl...

Jackson and Andrews run the same route, side by side.  This allows one guy to effectively cover two receiving targets.  :)

That's Jackson and Andrews in the highlighted circle.

There are issues with this play, but I don't think it is quite what you're highlighting.  There is actually a mismatch on that side of the ball.  There are 2 underneath defenders, and 3 receivers running underneath routes.  One issue is that Ricard is the one creating that mismatch.  Ricard is not Juice.  No defender is going to bite on the potential of him catching the ball in the flat.

The second issue is that Demarcus Robinson is running a crossing route right into the curls, drawing more defenders over on that side.

The third issue is that the curls seem kind of sloppy.  Route timing has been an issue throughout Roman's tenure, with routes being synced poorly, causing spacing to be less than optimal.  I think if both players curled a bit more in sync then the deep defenders would be in worse position to make a play.

#404 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,014 posts

Posted 19 December 2022 - 04:58 PM

Obviously you have to pass the ball sometimes to keep defenses honest and situationally. But, with Andrews and Duvernay somewhat off lately, I don't care if we look like the Army/Navy game on offense. It's the right answer given the current team make up and performance.
Edit. Also, and some of you smarter Xs and O's guys can correct me if I'm wrong, my observation during this game was that Cleveland DID NOT load the box to stop the run on most downs.

I think 15-20 passes would be fine. If Huntley is still in there, it would be dink and dunk but if Lamar is active, you should stretch the field in the 15-20 yard range to keep the defense honest. Then again, I wouldn't mind the Navy approach. If they're not stopping you, keep on pounding.(that almost sounds personal)

#405 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,011 posts

Posted 19 December 2022 - 05:37 PM

I think 15-20 passes would be fine. If Huntley is still in there, it would be dink and dunk but if Lamar is active, you should stretch the field in the 15-20 yard range to keep the defense honest. Then again, I wouldn't mind the Navy approach. If they're not stopping you, keep on pounding.(that almost sounds personal)

I was semi serious with the Niumatalolo thing last week. I get that Navy has no passing game. Service academies rarely have a passing game. They can't attract the type of skill position athlete needed to have a cohesive and consistent passing game as a threat.

What intrigues me about the idea is that a guy like him has been forced to make the most of what he can get. It forces a willingness to accept your strengths and weaknesses, and do your best to play to your strengths or "die trying". And overall they've done a great job exceeding all reasonable expectations under his tenure.

It's a concept we don't see here... playing the hand you're dealt...

#406 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,014 posts

Posted 19 December 2022 - 05:58 PM

I was semi serious with the Niumatalolo thing last week. I get that Navy has no passing game. Service academies rarely have a passing game. They can't attract the type of skill position athlete needed to have a cohesive and consistent passing game as a threat.
What intrigues me about the idea is that a guy like him has been forced to make the most of what he can get. It forces a willingness to accept your strengths and weaknesses, and do your best to play to your strengths or "die trying". And overall they've done a great job exceeding all reasonable expectations under his tenure.
It's a concept we don't see here... playing the hand you're dealt...

No doubt about it- when Navy's rushing attack is firing on all cylinders, its a beautiful thing to watch and there's not a damn thing a defense can do about it. They bulldozed small schools and major ones like the Fighting Irish.

#407 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,834 posts

Posted 20 December 2022 - 01:39 PM

Not that bright, are ya?

Why would I rather be the Bears or the Cardinals? How is that even relevant?

#408 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,455 posts

Posted 20 December 2022 - 03:12 PM

The Patriots beat the Bills (THE BILLS) last year with Mac Jones passing the ball 3 times. Three. Times.

Sometimes you need to do the most obvious thing to be labeled a genius.

Meanwhile we have an OC and a HC who are cool with trying to turn chicken shit into chicken salad.

• JStruds likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#409 Pedro Cerrano

Pedro Cerrano

I Miss McNulty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35,429 posts
  • LocationEllicott City, MD

Posted 20 December 2022 - 03:48 PM

There were 40 MPH gusts that game.

There is baseball, and occasionally there are other things of note

"Now OPS sucks.  Got it."

"Making his own olive brine is peak Mackus."

"I'm too hungover to watch a loss." - McNulty

@bopper33

#410 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,115 posts

Posted 20 December 2022 - 04:01 PM

It'd take a 40 MPH gust to get a Huntley pass to travel further than 10 yards.
  • NewMarketSean, Mike in STL, cprenegade and 2 others like this

#411 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,014 posts

Posted 20 December 2022 - 04:06 PM

Just like there will be on Saturday. 

#412 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,455 posts

Posted 20 December 2022 - 07:21 PM

It'd take a 40 MPH gust to get a Huntley pass to travel further than 10 yards.

But he has a stronger arm than Lamar. I heard a guy who played football at Towson said that.
  • BaltBird 24 likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#413 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,014 posts

Posted 20 December 2022 - 07:57 PM

But he has a stronger arm than Lamar. I heard a guy who played football at Towson said that.

He's sticking by it too!  :grin:

• BaltBird 24 likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=