Photo

BSL: Lamar Jackson. Step Up, or Step Out.

• Please log in to reply
347 replies to this topic

#61 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 27 November 2022 - 10:13 PM

I don't think he's pissed because of the contract, I think he's pissed because he lost.

If this is in reference to him folding under pressure, I don't know about that either. This will probably be the 2nd straight week he has 4+ drops charged to his receivers.

Guy did everything possible to win in the last 20 min of that game. Hes out there running his ass off. Running hard. Staying in nlunds taking hits. Running hard at the goalline. All with supoosedly a less than 100% hip and we gotta deal with people saying he isnt clutch or cant handle pressure or some other stupid narrative

#62 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 27 November 2022 - 10:15 PM

Oh he cant throw deep as he drops one in the bucket in the last 3 min of game down a point on 2nd and 20 from his 20.

#63 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 November 2022 - 10:17 PM

Oh he cant throw deep as he drops one in the bucket in the last 3 min of game down a point on 2nd and 20 from his 20.

Even with his 4th quarter, it was a subpar game for what we should be seeing out of him.
  • BaltBird 24 likes this

#64 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 27 November 2022 - 10:20 PM

Even with his 4th quarter, it was a subpar game for what we should be seeing out of him.

Horseshit. 

#65 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 27 November 2022 - 10:22 PM

I saw like 2 balls that were bad misses, and a couple other balls that were slight misses. He also had 4 or 5 drops from what I remember. As far as I remember the rest of his incomplete passes were throwaways where he had nowhere to run to and no one open.

#66 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 27 November 2022 - 10:22 PM

Before today's game I noted the Ravens were 44-14 in regular season games that Lamar started and completed healthy.  Now they're 44-15 in such contests.

Of the 15 losses, consider this:

- 2018 at KC, Lamar throws a go-ahead TD with 4:04 left in the game, Ravens defense allows tying TD with 53 seconds left; they lose in OT

- 2020 at PIT, Lamar throws a go-ahead TD early in the 4th quarter, Ravens defense allows PIT go ahead TD with about 7 minutes left; Lamar had a late fumble on a 4th and 3 keeper that he might not have converted anyway; Ravens defense blows 10 point halftime lead and allows 21 second half points

- 2020 vs TEN, Lamar throws early 3rd quarter TD pass to go up 11, Ravens defense gives up 14 straight to lose the lead; Lamar leads last minute FG drive to tie; Henry wins it in OT

- 2021 at LV, Lamar leads a go-ahead FG drive with 37 seconds left, Ravens defense allows Vegas (with no timeouts) to get in long FG range to tie with 7 seconds left; Vegas wins in OT 

- 2021 at PIT, Ravens defense allows 17 points in the 4th quarter, Lamar leads drive to TD to pull within one with 12 seconds remaining; Harbs goes for 2 and it fails, Ravens lose

- 2022 vs MIA, Ravens lead by 21 entering 4th quarter, defense gives up 21 points and Ravens turn over on downs near midfield along the way; Lamar leads a go-ahead FG drive with 2:23 remaining; Ravens defense gives up yet another 7 with 14 seconds left to go in the game, Ravens lose

- 2022 at JAX, Ravens lead by 9 in the 4th quarter, lose the lead, and Lamar leads a go-ahead TD drive (with 2 pt) just outside of 2 minutes left; Ravens defense gives up 75 yard drive to lose while most DBs are playing 10 to 15 yards off the entire drive and their SCHEME is allowing all receivers to run free, untouched, no jam at all at the line, nothing... just running training camp no-contact routes basically

So about 7 of his 15 legit regular season losses have seen him putting the Ravens in position to win or at least tie in the final minutes / seconds, only to have the defense gag it away in many cases.

He's not perfect or infallible by any means.  He makes mistakes, bad throws, bad decisions, etc.  Like most QBs do.  But 44-15, with about half of those losses coming in large part thanks to defensive meltdowns late after having a lead... I don't know how you can argue against that in any way.  

• Mackus, CMU82 and makoman like this

#67 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 27 November 2022 - 10:26 PM

Before today's game I noted the Ravens were 44-14 in regular season games that Lamar started and completed healthy.  Now they're 44-15 in such contests.

- 2018 at KC, Lamar throws a go-ahead TD with 4:04 left in the game, Ravens defense allows tying TD with 53 seconds left; they lose in OT

- 2020 at PIT, Lamar throws a go-ahead TD early in the 4th quarter, Ravens defense allows PIT go ahead TD with about 7 minutes left; Lamar had a late fumble on a 4th and 3 keeper that he might not have converted anyway; Ravens defense blows 10 point halftime lead and allows 21 second half points

- 2020 vs TEN, Lamar throws early 3rd quarter TD pass to go up 11, Ravens defense gives up 14 straight to lose the lead; Lamar leads last minute FG drive to tie; Henry wins it in OT

- 2021 at LV, Lamar leads a go-ahead FG drive with 37 seconds left, Ravens defense allows Vegas (with no timeouts) to get in long FG range to tie with 7 seconds left; Vegas wins in OT 

- 2021 at PIT, Ravens defense allows 17 points in the 4th quarter, Lamar leads drive to TD to pull within one with 12 seconds remaining; Harbs goes for 2 and it fails, Ravens lose

- 2022 vs MIA, Ravens lead by 21 entering 4th quarter, defense gives up 21 points and Ravens turn over on downs near midfield along the way; Lamar leads a go-ahead FG drive with 2:23 remaining; Ravens defense gives up yet another 7 with 14 seconds left to go in the game, Ravens lose

- 2022 at JAX, Ravens lead by 9 in the 4th quarter, lose the lead, and Lamar leads a go-ahead TD drive (with 2 pt) just outside of 2 minutes left; Ravens defense gives up 75 yard drive to lose while most DBs are playing 10 to 15 yards off the entire drive and their SCHEME is allowing all receivers to run free, untouched, no jam at all at the line, nothing... just running training camp no-contact routes basically

So about 7 of his 15 legit regular season losses have seen him putting the Ravens in position to win or at least tie in the final minutes / seconds, only to have the defense gag it away in many cases.

He's not perfect or infallible by any means.  He makes mistakes, bad throws, bad decisions, etc.  Like most QBs do.  But 44-15, with about half of those losses coming in large part thanks to defensive meltdowns late after having a lead... I don't know how you can argue against that in any way.  

Exactly what I told Ricker in a text. Guy always puts his team in position to win. Its crazy how people take that for granted. And it hasnt been like freaking 2000 where someone could disingenuously say Dilfer always kept the team in games

#68 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 27 November 2022 - 10:27 PM

I saw like 2 balls that were bad misses, and a couple other balls that were slight misses. He also had 4 or 5 drops from what I remember. As far as I remember the rest of his incomplete passes were throwaways where he had nowhere to run to and no one open.

Andrews was terrible today. Maybe he's still hurt and it's affecting his ability to fight for the ball. He got lucky on the fumble that the guy touched it while in contact with the sideline.

#69 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,593 posts

Posted 27 November 2022 - 10:32 PM

We expect huge numbers when he's throwing to Duvernay, Robinson, and Proche.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#70 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 27 November 2022 - 10:32 PM

He's not clutch. He can't elevate the players around him. He can't get it done in crunch time against good teams.

Why are Duvernay and Robinson not running by defenders every game? They should be running 12 jet sweeps to Dev Duv per game, minimum. Maybe then defenses would have to respect the Ravens receiving threats more.

#71 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 27 November 2022 - 10:38 PM

Passing maybe, but he still made some bigs throws. And he ran it great.

This wasn't a top-10 performance from him or anything, but he was good today, IMO. Not great, but not average either. If Huntley started they probably lose by two scores.

I can't imagine anyone being less inclined to extend him after today's game. I can see some confirmation bias type stuff from people who already didn't wanna sign him, but he didn't go backwards. One game shouldn't be the lynchpin in anyone's thinking, but I really doubt anybody who was on the fence is off the fence against it now. Maybe if they only watched the first half.

#72 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 27 November 2022 - 10:46 PM

Andrews was terrible today. Maybe he's still hurt and it's affecting his ability to fight for the ball. He got lucky on the fumble that the guy touched it while in contact with the sideline.

There was the fumble and the stone hands drop where the ball bounced off his hands for no reason.

#73 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 November 2022 - 10:48 PM

So many excuses.

#74 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 November 2022 - 10:51 PM

If it weren’t for the pressure of this contract looming over probably the entire offense, Gus wouldn’t have fumbled there either.

Totally a joke, and a bad one, poor flow per usual from me. But just want to see how much more riled up I can get 2035.

#75 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 November 2022 - 10:54 PM

Without the best kicker in the world, Jacksonville wouldn’t have even needed the 2 point attempt in all likelihood.

I want a $50M QB to run a better offense. To make pre snap reads and audible if need be. To not overthrow the deep ball so consistently. To not take delay of game penalties every week. To not suck in the red zone. To not have to justify his performance with “oh he ran great”. To not decide not to show up in a playoff game because it’s cold and windy and on the road. To not turn to the players union rather than be reasonable and professional with the team who literally built their whole organization around you and your skill set.

Just where I am, and I frankly don’t give a damn what any of you think about it. I’m tired of being judged by a couple of you who can’t accept a different opinion.
  • cprenegade and SouthRider like this

#76 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 27 November 2022 - 10:58 PM

Lamar deserves his fair share of criticism and blame for the offensive struggles. That's for sure.

The second half today was what all the naysayers supposedly want to see from an elite QB though: he took over the offense and put it on his back. Only to be consistently letdown by teammates on both sides of the ball.

The thread about just running the ball more in the face of offensive personnel deficiencies was laughable at the time, but where's that commentary now? As if the opposing defense isn't acutely aware of who they have to defend. This is the offense you're OK with when Mark Andrews isn't superman?

Out of all the QBs who are actually "worthy" of an elite QB contract, which one is playing with this type of supporting cast? How's that going for them?

#77 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 November 2022 - 11:01 PM

This supporting cast is what the team has decided gives Lamar the best chance to win with his specific skill set. They’ve done a tremendous job adjusting their offensive personnel around him. It isn’t a system good enough to win consistent high pressure games or a Super Bowl IMO. And there should be a difference vs. what you expect out of a rookie deal vs. the highest paid QB in the NFL that costs your team valuable depth, right? This is about projecting. Not about today, necessarily.

#78 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 27 November 2022 - 11:04 PM

Without the best kicker in the world, Jacksonville wouldn’t have even needed the 2 point attempt in all likelihood.

I want a $50M QB to run a better offense. To make pre snap reads and audible if need be. To not overthrow the deep ball so consistently. To not take delay of game penalties every week. To not suck in the red zone. To not have to justify his performance with “oh he ran great”. To not decide not to show up in a playoff game because it’s cold and windy and on the road. To not turn to the players union rather than be reasonable with the team who literally built their whole organization around you and your skill set.

Just where I am, and I frankly don’t give a damn what any of you think about it. I’m tired of being judged by a couple of you who can’t accept a different opinion.

I think this is all well and good. It sounds like you are pretty much only willing to pay Mahomes. I don't think there is another QB that meets all of these criteria.
  • makoman likes this

#79 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,562 posts

Posted 27 November 2022 - 11:13 PM

This supporting cast is what the team has decided gives Lamar the best chance to win with his specific skill set. They’ve done a tremendous job adjusting their offensive personnel around him. It isn’t a system good enough to win consistent high pressure games or a Super Bowl IMO. And there should be a difference vs. what you expect out of a rookie deal vs. the highest paid QB in the NFL that costs your team valuable depth, right? This is about projecting. Not about today, necessarily.

I think you have a little too much faith that what the team has decided is the best supporting cast is, in fact the best supporting cast. I have some issues with this team's roster construction and I think the cap issues at this point are a front office problem, not a Lamar problem.
  • Mackus likes this

#80 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 27 November 2022 - 11:14 PM

I don't think anyone can deny any of that. But in the context of today, convert one of those FGs into a TD and it's a win.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=