Photo

BSL: Lamar Jackson. Step Up, or Step Out.

• Please log in to reply
347 replies to this topic

#41 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 27 November 2022 - 07:21 PM

To be fair, Allen and Mahomes don't deal with unfair criticism after every single game, from a bunch of idiotic casual fans.

Mahomes probably does.

#42 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 November 2022 - 07:25 PM

To be fair, Allen and Mahomes don't deal with unfair criticism after every single game, from a bunch of idiotic casual fans.

Lol. Okay.

#43 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 27 November 2022 - 07:27 PM

I truly cannot understand the thought process that paying Lamar will create a huge problem in constructing the team, yet it's a no-brainer to sign an off ball LB to 20+ mil a year.

I guess part of it is that some people seem to overrate Roquan Smith's impact on the team or his standing among the other players at his position. There's a real strong argument that he's not the best LB from his draft class, and that's not a knock on him either. But the way people talk you'd think he's a lock for the HOF already. Please...

If we're being reasonable, he's in the same tier of LB as Lamar is at QB. Both looking for market setting new contracts. One position is far more impactful than the other. One is more easily replaceable.

Do you think there are some other positions on this team that could use help to the tune of 18-20 mil per year than ILB?

#44 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 November 2022 - 07:28 PM

Lamar, if you read BSL - know it isn’t personal and I love you. Just love the Ravens more. Also, engaged, to a woman, if you want to be factual for your takedown. Stoner - can you change my handle from my name please? Lol.
  • BSLJamieSieck likes this

#45 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 27 November 2022 - 07:46 PM

Mahomes probably does.

I'd assume all professional athletes (that keep an active social media profile) have followers looking to needle them whenever the situation presents itself. There's nothing unique about that. What is unique is Lamar's handling of the situation, which smacks of someone half his age. The smart play is to ignore the trolls, and take the advice of his teammates who tell him to GTFO of Twitter after losses, and if you must, NEVER take the bait they so obviously are looking to hook you with. 

#46 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,137 posts

Posted 27 November 2022 - 07:48 PM

Are we seeing a 2012 'mutiny' situation?

#47 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,367 posts

Posted 27 November 2022 - 08:05 PM

Mahomes and Allen aren't asking for fully-guaranteed money, either. 

I said at the beginning of the season (I think) that, when contract talks between Lamar and the Ravens were shut down, everything Lamar did was going to be viewed through the prism of his contract demands. Fair or not, that's just the way it was going to be, and I hoped he realized that.

I don't really count what's posted on Twitter or any other social media platform because to me, they're not real. 

Well, every one but this one. :)

#48 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,137 posts

Posted 27 November 2022 - 08:11 PM

I feel like when you're in the profession that these guys chose, you sort of open yourself up to criticism like that.

No one would be going to Twitter to criticize Lamar if he was making $60k a year as a car salesman.

#49 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 27 November 2022 - 08:31 PM

I feel like when you're in the profession that these guys chose, you sort of open yourself up to criticism like that.

No one would be going to Twitter to criticize Lamar if he was making $60k a year as a car salesman.

I think he's often active and engages with fans, and I don't have any problem with him shoving it back at them though I don't see the point to it. But he's gotta pick different words. There are a handful of ways you can go for a response to go from simply childish and down to piece-of-crapish and unfortunately he picked one of them. I'm sure it's just a bad habit popping up, we all skip from time-to-time. But he needs to apologize. I'm certain he will, I hope it's sincere.

He's got enough track record of being a positive person that I think most will forgive and move on.

#50 BSLJamieSieck

BSLJamieSieck

Ravens Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 27 November 2022 - 08:32 PM

Strongly disagree with this argument. The idea that Lamar should just take less than market because he's getting a lot anyways is really unrealistic. $5M a year is more than any of us can really comprehend should he just take that? $20M? No.

The difference between non-guaranteed and guaranteed money is real and is something worth negotiating for just like the total dollars. I don't know how close to guaranteed the structure the Ravens offered was, but the precedent for $230M+ guaranteed has been set.

There shouldn't be any criticism of Lamar for trying to get as much as he thinks he's worth. Maybe he'll get it, maybe something slightly less. It's in no way a knock on his self-confidence that he doesn't just immediately take the first offer from the Ravens.

I mean, would you let your employer pay you half of your salary with the other half due based on performance when another comparable employer will give you the full amount without any benchmarks to hit? I understand that the scale is different, but the concept is the same.

I wouldn't take non guaranteed money but I'm just an engineer, not an NFL player. Guaranteed contracts are far from the norm in the NFL and at this point, the union is using Lamar, plain and simple.

In a vacuum, I agree with you but we're not operating in a vacuum. Lamar is going to make a lot of money somewhere and given how things have played out thus far, he's likely not getting a fully guaranteed deal here. And given the nature of the super majority of NFL contracts, he's not getting fully guaranteed money anywhere.

Bottom line, I understand why he's asking for it but he's unlikely to get it. And, I still firmly believe that if he had an agent, he'd have a long term deal done already.

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#51 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 27 November 2022 - 08:46 PM

Lamar is frustrated. I get it. I was where he was and did the same thing that he did here. As far as snapping on someone. Lamar balled out and he got let down yet dummies on twitter can make stupid comments.

#52 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 November 2022 - 09:13 PM

Just shows how good he is at handling the pressure. His play this season has reflected that, and now he’s having temper tantrums in the press room and on Twitter. If he didn’t insist on guaranteed dollars, this would have been done before the season IMO. He asked for this pressure, and he’s not doing so great with it.
  • cprenegade likes this

#53 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 November 2022 - 09:56 PM

The tweet has been deleted and none of the websites are reporting it, so hopefully it stays that way. Last thing this team needs right now is some petty, stupid controversy.

#54 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 27 November 2022 - 10:01 PM

The tweet has been deleted and none of the websites are reporting it, so hopefully it stays that way. Last thing this team needs right now is some petty, stupid controversy.

Definitely got picked up.

https://www.cbssport...t-end-of-season

#55 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 27 November 2022 - 10:02 PM

Just shows how good he is at handling the pressure. His play this season has reflected that, and now he’s having temper tantrums in the press room and on Twitter. If he didn’t insist on guaranteed dollars, this would have been done before the season IMO. He asked for this pressure, and he’s not doing so great with it.

Lazy narrative

#56 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 November 2022 - 10:03 PM

Lazy narrative

So you think he’s handling this contract pressure well to this point?

#57 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,137 posts

Posted 27 November 2022 - 10:04 PM

Yeah, I don't think it's just going away like it didn't happen.

#58 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 27 November 2022 - 10:10 PM

How is it going bad. He shouldnt be on twitter. No one should. That said, hes incredibly frustrated after yet another game that was choked away.

#59 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 27 November 2022 - 10:11 PM

I don't think he's pissed because of the contract, I think he's pissed because he lost.

If this is in reference to him folding under pressure, I don't know about that either. This will probably be the 2nd straight week he has 4+ drops charged to his receivers.

#60 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 27 November 2022 - 10:11 PM

This has nothing to do with pressure. Zero. Its frustration

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=