Photo

BSL: Lamar Jackson. Step Up, or Step Out.

• Please log in to reply
347 replies to this topic

#81 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 27 November 2022 - 11:17 PM

This supporting cast is what the team has decided gives Lamar the best chance to win with his specific skill set. They’ve done a tremendous job adjusting their offensive personnel around him. It isn’t a system good enough to win consistent high pressure games or a Super Bowl IMO. And there should be a difference vs. what you expect out of a rookie deal vs. the highest paid QB in the NFL that costs your team valuable depth, right? This is about projecting. Not about today, necessarily.

Are we projecting that a 1st round WR, 2nd round RB, and one of the best/highest paid LTs in the league aren't available due to injury? And that their best offensive weapon will continue to be injured and/or play poorly?   They're not going to be able to keep everyone. That's reality no matter who's at QB. But I don't think the current situation is at all indicative of what future Ravens teams will be or need to be.   But we should go ahead and pay the recently traded for LB the richest contract at his position, because that made a huge difference today when it mattered.

• bmore_ken likes this

#82 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 November 2022 - 11:22 PM

Every team has big injuries. Everywhere you look. More excuses.

#83 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 November 2022 - 11:28 PM

I do think while there’d be risk as well, a new system and coordinator could definitely take Lamar to the next level. I think the league has figured out this offense and it’s tendencies and it just doesn’t scare anyone anymore. I’m sure he’ll be extended. I’d want to see what he can do with a better, more diverse and balanced system. It is risky though. I know there are plenty of Roman proponents on here, maybe this is the system best aligned to get the most out of Lamar. But to me, it isn’t going to be good enough at the end of the day.

#84 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,946 posts

Posted 27 November 2022 - 11:33 PM

I don't think anyone can deny any of that. But in the context of today, convert one of those FGs into a TD and it's a win.

Honestly you cant say that for sure. Pederson was fairly conservative until he fell behind by 7+ and it was late. I dont have a lot of faith that had we scored 4 more points early that the D would have held late. Pederson would have opened it up sooner and I have reason to believe our pass D would have been exposed sooner.

#85 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 November 2022 - 11:34 PM

Agreed with that. Defense was bad. Real bad.

#86 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 27 November 2022 - 11:36 PM

Not an excuse, jackass, a fact. And one that the starting QB did his part to overcome.

But the goalposts continue to move. Just run the ball, they say. He is the running game.

I asked the question earlier, and haven't heard yet which "great team" is playing with this level of offensive skill position talent.

#87 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 November 2022 - 11:37 PM

Not an excuse, jackass, a fact. And one that the starting QB did his part to overcome.

But the goalposts continue to move. Just run the ball, they say. He is the running game.

I asked the question earlier, and haven't heard yet which "great team" is playing with this level of offensive skill position talent.

Stay classy.

#88 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 27 November 2022 - 11:42 PM

Stay classy.

I've seen how you talk on this here board. Don't be a hypocrite, hoss.

#89 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 November 2022 - 11:45 PM

I've seen how you talk on this here board. Don't be a hypocrite, hoss.

Glad you’re doing as you were told, and staying classy. Thirsty for more, or have you had enough yet? You’re acting like I insulted your mother. I did nothing to make this personal. I don’t give a damn about past behavior. Doesn’t give you the justification to take it there. Nice try.

#90 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,566 posts

Posted 27 November 2022 - 11:47 PM

One loss to Jacksonville and the board is in chaos.

#91 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 27 November 2022 - 11:47 PM

Glad you’re doing as you were told, and staying classy. Thirsty for more, or have you had enough yet? You’re acting like I insulted your mother. I did nothing to make this personal. I don’t give a damn about past behavior. Doesn’t give you the justification to take it there. Nice try.

My bad man, didn't mean to touch a nerve there. I thought your half-assed trolling, everything zen act was legit for a minute.

#92 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 27 November 2022 - 11:54 PM

I think you can make a case that Mahomes supporting cast is as good/bad as Lamar’s.
@BSLMikeRandall

#93 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,566 posts

Posted 27 November 2022 - 11:56 PM

I'm taking Mahomes crew every day of the week.

Kelce and Juju trump Andrews and whatever we have at WR.

#94 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 27 November 2022 - 11:58 PM

If Gus Edwards doesn't fumble on that penultimate possession, we're probably still grousing over something, but within the context of a closer-than-expected Ravens' win.

#95 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,946 posts

Posted 28 November 2022 - 12:09 AM

If it weren’t for the pressure of this contract looming over probably the entire offense, Gus wouldn’t have fumbled there either.

Totally a joke, and a bad one, poor flow per usual from me. But just want to see how much more riled up I can get 2035.

You had me for a few minutes earlier but ultimately I know Im gonna get what I want. He will be re-signed. 

#96 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,554 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 28 November 2022 - 12:40 AM

I think you can make a case that Mahomes supporting cast is as good/bad as Lamar’s.

Mahomes signed a team friendly deal early in his career, before QB salaries exploded. The Ravens may or may not have had this option with Lamar.

Also, I don't think you'll get a single dissent if you say that Mahomes is a better QB. If you argue that he's the only one worthy if a 50 million a year deal, well, I understand that viewpoint. I also think that Mahomes gets 60 million a year if he gets an open market deal.
  • Mackus likes this

#97 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,801 posts

Posted 28 November 2022 - 01:11 AM

A couple of thoughts, not all that will be agreeable.

- I'm not shocked that the Ravens lost this game.  Despite people trying to paint Jacksonville as a bottom feeder, they are not that bad talent wise.  They are young, and they have had to overcome last year from the worst coach in football.  Urban Meyer is a POS, both in college and the NFL.  He won in college only because of the name and money the colleges he coached had.  In the NFL, he showed his true colors.  This season, Doug Peterson is repairing damage.  And he is trying to save their franchise QB from being destroyed.  The process is not easy.  But every loss except for KC this year has been by one score.  They are still learning how to win.  If their FO stays with Pederson and the program I would not be surprised to see them win their division next year. 

- Defense.  Ugh.  Roquan Smith obviously makes this defense better, but I still think the secondary is very suspect.  Trevor Lawrence might turn out to be a great QB, but right now he is average at best and a disappointment when compared to other first round QB picks.  But he torched the Raven's secondary when it counted.  I can only imagine what Mahomes will do if the Ravens end up playing KC in the playoffs.  

- Lamar Jackson.  He continues to be a very dynamic athletic talent, but his passing is very average, imo.  His accuracy is just not that good.  He consistently overthrows deep balls, and even in some medium range passes he is off target.  He makes up for that running the ball, but good defenses are going to contain that.  To be successful in this league, you need to at least be good making the medium 20+ yard throws downfield.  I haven't seen that.  Consistency is the biggest problem with his passing game.  Not sure I would pay him at this point.  Really got to think about that.  

- Marcus Peters.  He looks done.  Maybe it's just a one year thing, but he gets burned every week.  Sometimes he's just standing around doing nothing.  I don't know, but if I'm an opposing DC, I'm game planning my pass offense to his side.  

- Oweh.  Is this guy still on the team?  Not sure I have seen him do anything positive this whole season.

- Trevor Lawrence.  He had some moments today, but still think he is only average.  But the throw he made on the two point conversion was a laser.  That's the only way that pass is completed.  And a kudo to the receiver, that pass was drilled and was not that easy to catch.  

- Bottom line, the Ravens better hope CIncinnati looses down the road.  Their divisional record is worse than the Ravens and a tie will likely go in the Raven's favor.  If the two teams are tied and playing in Cincy at the end of the year, I'm not sure the Ravens have the team to beat them.  And if they are a WC team, they probably go one and out.  

#98 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,554 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 28 November 2022 - 02:39 AM

A couple of thoughts, not all that will be agreeable.

- I'm not shocked that the Ravens lost this game. Despite people trying to paint Jacksonville as a bottom feeder, they are not that bad talent wise. They are young, and they have had to overcome last year from the worst coach in football. Urban Meyer is a POS, both in college and the NFL. He won in college only because of the name and money the colleges he coached had. In the NFL, he showed his true colors. This season, Doug Peterson is repairing damage. And he is trying to save their franchise QB from being destroyed. The process is not easy. But every loss except for KC this year has been by one score. They are still learning how to win. If their FO stays with Pederson and the program I would not be surprised to see them win their division next year.

- Defense. Ugh. Roquan Smith obviously makes this defense better, but I still think the secondary is very suspect. Trevor Lawrence might turn out to be a great QB, but right now he is average at best and a disappointment when compared to other first round QB picks. But he torched the Raven's secondary when it counted. I can only imagine what Mahomes will do if the Ravens end up playing KC in the playoffs.

- Lamar Jackson. He continues to be a very dynamic athletic talent, but his passing is very average, imo. His accuracy is just not that good. He consistently overthrows deep balls, and even in some medium range passes he is off target. He makes up for that running the ball, but good defenses are going to contain that. To be successful in this league, you need to at least be good making the medium 20+ yard throws downfield. I haven't seen that. Consistency is the biggest problem with his passing game. Not sure I would pay him at this point. Really got to think about that.

- Marcus Peters. He looks done. Maybe it's just a one year thing, but he gets burned every week. Sometimes he's just standing around doing nothing. I don't know, but if I'm an opposing DC, I'm game planning my pass offense to his side.

- Oweh. Is this guy still on the team? Not sure I have seen him do anything positive this whole season.

- Trevor Lawrence. He had some moments today, but still think he is only average. But the throw he made on the two point conversion was a laser. That's the only way that pass is completed. And a kudo to the receiver, that pass was drilled and was not that easy to catch.

- Bottom line, the Ravens better hope CIncinnati looses down the road. Their divisional record is worse than the Ravens and a tie will likely go in the Raven's favor. If the two teams are tied and playing in Cincy at the end of the year, I'm not sure the Ravens have the team to beat them. And if they are a WC team, they probably go one and out.

Hamilton was out and having to play Brandon Stephens and Pepe Williams against actual NFL receivers when Humphrey went out as well was more than a little problematic.

If Hamilton was healthy no shot we lose this.

#99 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,264 posts

Posted 28 November 2022 - 06:00 AM

Hamilton was out and having to play Brandon Stephens and Pepe Williams against actual NFL receivers when Humphrey went out as well was more than a little problematic.

If Hamilton was healthy no shot we lose this.

A healthy Humphrey and Hamilton, and maybe we have a different outcome. With that said, Macdonald is absolutely horrid at having his defense hold a lead. He plays scared. He got a sack, or big loss a few times yesterday on 1st and 2nd down. He followed that up with a soft zone, giving up 10+ yards underneath, and allowing a huge completion to easily be made. Enough of the free releases and "sticks" zone BS. Play like you've been playing. Let your press-man corners hit somebody at the line, and disrupt their routes. We have Dean Pees all over again. No lead is safe with the jackass in the booth.

#100 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 28 November 2022 - 08:13 AM

For what it's worth, when your coaches have you playing so far off the LOS that you're not even on the screen at the snap... when the opponent has 4 receivers at the line, and you have ONE DB within 7 yards of the LOS on 4th and 5... ANY QB IN FOOTBALL should probably be able to complete a pass for the first down. Darrell Revis isn't making a difference at that point when the coaches basically take most of the secondary out of position to make the play before the ball is snapped.

I'd KILL to see Harbs at a screen explaining the thought process behind the two plays starting at 3rd and 21. Especially the 4th and 5 play, where two receivers are completely unmarked and a 3rd is looking at a 7-8 yard cushion. On 4th and FIVE.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=