Photo

BSL: Lamar Jackson. Step Up, or Step Out.

• Please log in to reply
347 replies to this topic

#1 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 25 November 2022 - 11:38 PM

BSL: https://baltimorespo...up-or-step-out/

It's been a game manager esque last seven games for LJ where he's averaged just one TD a game, and not even close to a 100 yard rushing performance to make up for any passing shortcomings. 

Taking a look at where he ranks in some stats over the years, and where I'd like to see improvement to finish out 2022. 

• You Play to Win the Game and russsnyder like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#2 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,839 posts

Posted 26 November 2022 - 12:16 PM

You do not pay 250+ guaranteed million for a QB performing like he is. It must improve.
  • BaltBird 24 likes this

#3 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 26 November 2022 - 04:43 PM

Lamar has a hip injury. He should sit tomorrow and let Huntley go with a run heavy offense. Of course Harbaugh and Roman are idiots and won't do that. The Jaguars aren't a dangerous team and even a loss to them won't doom the season. 

#4 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,991 posts

Posted 26 November 2022 - 05:54 PM

Lamar has a hip injury. He should sit tomorrow and let Huntley go with a run heavy offense. Of course Harbaugh and Roman are idiots and won't do that. The Jaguars aren't a dangerous team and even a loss to them won't doom the season.

Lamar wants to play and if he's healthy enough he should play. He gives the Ravens the beat chance to win. I find the criticism of his performances a bit laughable. He was obviously not 100 pervent last week. The only stat that counts are the wins.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#5 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 26 November 2022 - 06:08 PM

If he's healthy enough to play, without dire odds of worsening it, then you play. You never rest people because the opponent is weak in the NFL. Especially not at QB. The margins between teams are too narrow for that.

I also think you're underrating Jacksonville in general. Their record is bad but they are not. It won't be a laugher.

#6 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 26 November 2022 - 06:29 PM

If Huntley started Jacksonville would be the rightful favorite.

• BaltBird 24 and russsnyder like this

#7 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,991 posts

Posted 26 November 2022 - 06:42 PM

If Huntley started Jacksonville would be the rightful favorite.

Have the Ravens won a game that Huntley started in the regular season?
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#8 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 26 November 2022 - 06:44 PM

Have the Ravens won a game that Huntley started in the regular season?

Bears last year

• russsnyder likes this

#9 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 26 November 2022 - 07:12 PM

If he's healthy enough to play, without dire odds of worsening it, then you play. You never rest people because the opponent is weak in the NFL. Especially not at QB. The margins between teams are too narrow for that.

I also think you're underrating Jacksonville in general. Their record is bad but they are not. It won't be a laugher.

So your  plan is to play a running qb with a hip injury against a team you think can beat them? Pretty much what you said.

Good plan.

#10 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 26 November 2022 - 07:20 PM

So your plan is to play a running qb with a hip injury against a team think can beat them? Pretty much what you said.
Good plan.

I guess I'm just an idiot who wants to play the starting quarterback when he's healthy enough to play.

You're becoming difficult to interact with.

#11 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 26 November 2022 - 07:25 PM

I guess I'm just an idiot who wants to play the starting quarterback when he's healthy enough to play.

You're becoming difficult to interact with.

Because I have an opinion about your opinion? Isn't that what a message board is all about?

#12 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 26 November 2022 - 07:26 PM

If Lamar is worth $200some million then he plays if healthy enough to play, period. And the coaches certainly aren’t idiots for doing so.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#13 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 26 November 2022 - 07:29 PM

Because I have an opinion about your opinion? Isn't that what a message board is all about?

No, not because you have an opinion. Because of the "idiots" and "good plan" and other similar comments mocking others opinions. Maybe I'm overly agitated for some reason right now but seems like it's becoming more and more frequent that you just jump to insults right away. But...an idiot for starting Lamar Jackson? That's tough to not react to.

#14 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,790 posts

Posted 26 November 2022 - 08:02 PM

I'm not sure I agree with the Jax assessment.  Record wise, yeah they look like a cakewalk, but all but 1 of their losses have been 1 score games.  KC was the only one that was not.  Defensively, against the run, they give up only 110 yards per game, less than the league average.  They are not quite as good against the pass giving up 20 yards more than the league average.  They have some good players, just haven't learned how to finish games and win yet.  

I would play Jackson if he is able to go.  The Ravens are still in a fight for the division.  I think playoff success rests on winning the division and getting at least one home game.  If they end up a wild card they would probably go to either KC, Buff, Miami, Tennessee or Cincinnati.  Only in Cincinnati would I have them favored.  And that might really be a push.  They need a home playoff game or it could very well be another one and done.  

But my big argument with both Harbaugh and Roman is that apparently they knew he was working through a hip issue during last weeks game.  That might explain how some of his throws seemed off against Carolina.  But if they knew this during the game, why did they have him running designed runs late in that game with a 10 point lead against a team as offensively challenged as Carolina?  I was yelling about that at the TV last week and I didn't even know he was hurt!  That just makes no sense.  

#15 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 26 November 2022 - 08:19 PM

I'm not sure I agree with the Jax assessment.  Record wise, yeah they look like a cakewalk, but all but 1 of their losses have been 1 score games.  KC was the only one that was not.  Defensively, against the run, they give up only 110 yards per game, less than the league average.  They are not quite as good against the pass giving up 20 yards more than the league average.  They have some good players, just haven't learned how to finish games and win yet.  

I would play Jackson if he is able to go.  The Ravens are still in a fight for the division.  I think playoff success rests on winning the division and getting at least one home game.  If they end up a wild card they would probably go to either KC, Buff, Miami, Tennessee or Cincinnati.  Only in Cincinnati would I have them favored.  And that might really be a push.  They need a home playoff game or it could very well be another one and done.  

But my big argument with both Harbaugh and Roman is that apparently they knew he was working through a hip issue during last weeks game.  That might explain how some of his throws seemed off against Carolina.  But if they knew this during the game, why did they have him running designed runs late in that game with a 10 point lead against a team as offensively challenged as Carolina?  I was yelling about that at the TV last week and I didn't even know he was hurt!  That just makes no sense.  

This is my concern about playing him in this game. Now that it's out in the open, you're admitting you're playing a qb that's not 100%. Maybe 75%-80% Lamar or wherever he is on that scale is enough to beat JAX. My bigger concern is possible aggravating a known injury in a game that doesn't mean much at this point in the season when we hold the tie breaker over Cincy and possibly losing him for multiple games if something happens to make whatever he has going on worse.. I mean last week they said he had an illness which now looks like a lie, this week they're actually admitting he's injured. Call me crazy, I just don't think this is a season defining game, win or lose.

#16 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 26 November 2022 - 08:21 PM

No, not because you have an opinion. Because of the "idiots" and "good plan" and other similar comments mocking others opinions. Maybe I'm overly agitated for some reason right now but seems like it's becoming more and more frequent that you just jump to insults right away. But...an idiot for starting Lamar Jackson? That's tough to not react to.

I'll refrain from commenting on your comments as I don't wish to cause you any angst with my opinion of your opinion.

#17 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 26 November 2022 - 10:01 PM

I think you have to be certifiably insane to preemptively rest key players with mild injuries before we've locked up so much as a playoff berth. Especially given our finish last year. We could lock up a playoff berth as early as week 16, giving us potentially 2 weeks + the off week in between to rest players.

We need the lineup that maximizes our chance to win until we are safely in.
  • Mike in STL likes this

#18 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,352 posts

Posted 26 November 2022 - 10:13 PM

AFC opponents are more important for tiebreakers too. If they didn’t rest him when sick against a bad NFC team they won’t this week.

Are the Bills idiots because Allen’s been playing with a bad elbow? No, you have a franchise QB who can play, you play him (unless he’s risking more severe injury, which I’m assuming isn’t the case).

#19 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,858 posts

Posted 26 November 2022 - 11:49 PM

AFC opponents are more important for tiebreakers too. If they didn’t rest him when sick against a bad NFC team they won’t this week.

Are the Bills idiots because Allen’s been playing with a bad elbow? No, you have a franchise QB who can play, you play him (unless he’s risking more severe injury, which I’m assuming isn’t the case).

My concern is putting out a qb with an injury which could be made worse in a game that's not season ending. Maybe he plays, they win, and i look like a fool. Maybe he plays, exacerbates whatever his real injury is(the team never is real about that),  and he misses 3 or 4  games instead of one during  a playoff run . Guess I'm on an island with this one. If Huntley and the new and improved defense can't handle the 3 win  Jaguars, the playoffs look like a one and done to me anyway. Hopefully I'm wrong. 

#20 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 26 November 2022 - 11:54 PM

All the stats and rankings are what they are. The most important stat to me is that the Ravens are 44-14 in regular season games that he's started and didn't leave early due to injury. That's a .759 winning percentage. They're 2-6 in games he didn't start/play or got hurt early and exited with no return. That's a .250 winning percentage. Off the top of my head... of the 14 full game losses, he led a go ahead drive late at Vegas but Wink and company couldn't hold the lead for 37 seconds, and they had the infamous 21 point 4th quarter lead vs Miami where McDonald summoned the ghost of Wink and his cover zero / single high to help give away an almost unlosable lead.

If a .759 winning percentage isn't elite / top 10 level... I dunno what is... and I'm hard pressed to think that the ginormous discrepancy is dumb luck.

4 postseason games he's 1-3. Small sample size and a mildly insane game plan his second playoff outing. He very likely would have had at least a 5th sample to consider last year if he hadn't gotten hurt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=