#141 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 23 September 2022 - 03:54 PM

For what it's worth, people who've seen the team practice over the last few months have said Willard is committed not only to a much faster offense but also to executing a lot more full-court presses on defense.

• BSLChrisStoner, TwentyThirtyFive and makoman like this
@BSLZackKiesel

#142 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 24 September 2022 - 10:34 AM

For what it's worth, people who've seen the team practice over the last few months have said Willard is committed not only to a much faster offense but also to executing a lot more full-court presses on defense.

He mentioned in one of his early pressers that if he had a deep enough rotation, he would press and play up tempo.  They are light upfront but should at least have enough guards and wings that he should be able to play fast.  Anything is better than the methodical pace the Turgeon teams played.

@mikeghg

#143 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 25 September 2022 - 05:56 PM

He mentioned in one of his early pressers that if he had a deep enough rotation, he would press and play up tempo. They are light upfront but should at least have enough guards and wings that he should be able to play fast. Anything is better than the methodical pace the Turgeon teams played.

Did you dislike Turgeon's defensive sets? I felt like one of his strengths was how prepared he had the team on defense. The issue I had is that they never converted defensive stops into transition opportunities.

#144 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,618 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 25 September 2022 - 08:18 PM

Did you dislike Turgeon's defensive sets? I felt like one of his strengths was how prepared he had the team on defense. The issue I had is that they never converted defensive stops into transition opportunities.

His defense sets were fine, but they did not do enough or were not detailed enough to score in transition.  When his offense was as bad as it was, being able to score off the defensive end was a must.

@mikeghg

#145 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 11 October 2022 - 03:34 PM

Willard says his team won’t be participating in any future multi-team events (MTEs) unless they’re giving Maryland’s players NIL funds.
@BSLZackKiesel

#146 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 12 October 2022 - 07:20 AM

IMS: Maryland basketball: Jahmir Young, Donta Scott detail first impressions of Kevin Willard at Big Ten Media Days

https://247sports.co...m4_W_spA_WlOjps

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#147 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 October 2022 - 07:40 AM

That’s a good read. Interesting to hear Scott dropped 20-30 lbs. He is definitely a potential X-Factor for Willard’s first Terps team making a run. Excited for year 2 of Reese. I’ll give Willard this year regardless - I’m just so glad to finally be past the Turgeon era.
  • glenn__davis likes this

#148 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,428 posts

Posted 12 October 2022 - 09:28 AM

Willard says his team won’t be participating in any future multi-team events (MTEs) unless they’re giving Maryland’s players NIL funds.

Translate please :)

I mean I know what NIL is, don't know what MTEs are or how the 2 are related.

#149 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 12 October 2022 - 09:41 AM

IM assuming thy mean the early season tournaments

#150 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 12 October 2022 - 10:22 AM

Multi-team events are any organized early-season tournaments. Willard is saying that Maryland won’t participate in any more of them unless the organizers distribute NIL funding to his players (which is expected to become commonplace).
  • glenn__davis likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#151 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 12 October 2022 - 11:15 AM

Multi-team events are any organized early-season tournaments. Willard is saying that Maryland won’t participate in any more of them unless the organizers distribute NIL funding to his players (which is expected to become commonplace).

These events pretty much all have corporate sponsors, so no lack of NIL opportunities there. We'll probably see the same thing with the football bowl games eventually.

• BSLZackKiesel likes this

#152 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 12 October 2022 - 12:04 PM

Yep, was always the next logical progression. You want the advertising and piggyback off our product? You're going to have to fund our recruiting so the product is good enough to warrant tuning in.

@JeremyMStrain

#153 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 16 October 2022 - 09:37 AM

Maryland begins the season ranked #56 according to KenPom, which slots them in as the fourth-worst team in the conference.

@BSLZackKiesel

#154 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 16 October 2022 - 09:43 AM

Maryland begins the season ranked #56 according to KenPom, which slots them in as the fourth-worst team in the conference.

I’m going to sell that. I think Willard has put together a roster that, if things go right, could sneak into the dance. That isn’t necessarily my expectation, but they’re better than fourth best in the Big Ten.

How does KenPom’s formula even work pre-season with zero data anyway?

#155 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 16 October 2022 - 09:52 AM

MD wont be a pushover.

#156 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 17 October 2022 - 11:51 AM

MD wont be a pushover.

Cant say that with any real evidence at this point.

This year is more about finding out what we have with Willard as much as anything else

#157 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 17 October 2022 - 01:38 PM

Cant say that with any real evidence at this point.

This year is more about finding out what we have with Willard as much as anything else

I suspect they are at-least 8 deep with usable players. 
I have no idea if they'll be 'good', but it's plausible. 

It's easier to take the under and think lower 1/2 of the Big Ten and NIT ceiling; but there is talent on the roster. 

Wish they had one more usable big though. 

#158 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 20 October 2022 - 01:06 PM

Kevin Willard says his team will probably start the year “playing way too fast, shooting a bunch of threes, pressing a ton, and getting after it”. Tried to re-energize the fan base by engaging former players and recruiting locally.

So basically, he’s the anti-Turgeon.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this
@BSLZackKiesel

#159 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 20 October 2022 - 01:58 PM

Kevin Willard says his team will probably start the year “playing way too fast, shooting a bunch of threes, pressing a ton, and getting after it”. Tried to re-energize the fan base by engaging former players and recruiting locally.

So basically, he’s the anti-Turgeon.

Except the  losing his top recruiting target part. Same as it ever was

#160 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 October 2022 - 03:18 PM

Except the  losing his top recruiting target part. Same as it ever was

Stop. Give the guy a chance. If you think Willard was going to be able to compete with Oates and the NIL stuff going on in the south within his first couple of months of walking through the door of the mediocrity that Turge left behind, you were just setting yourself up with disappointment. Furthermore, don't poo poo other's negative energy on the Ravens and O's, if that's how people feel, and then do this. Give the dude a chance, what else can we do? I love what I'm hearing. That said, I'll text you, let's get out there to Xfinity early in the season and give the guy some love.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=