220 replies to this topic

#181 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,012 posts

Posted 21 November 2022 - 11:19 PM

I sped through the game last night on DVR and Scott was terrific. I really like the way the way the team is running an offense. There were a lot of wide open looks that resulted in easy baskets.
Kevin Willard can coach.

In the limited amount of time I've managed to watch them play so far this season, I do feel like I've seen a lot more off ball movement on offense. Turgeon teams seemed to be a lot of "let's take turns playing one on one" while Willard seems to have an actual team offense and game plan. Feels like in their first "last shot to win" scenario, instead of a guard dribbling around solo and hoisting up a long three attempt at the buzzer, this group might actually move and pass and move and pass in an ATTEMPT to create a better last look. And that's a welcome change...

#182 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 28 November 2022 - 12:21 PM

Maryland jumps up one spot to #22 in this week’s AP Poll.
@BSLZackKiesel

#183 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 28 November 2022 - 04:15 PM

BSL: The Big Ten's New Media Rights Deal Has Been Announced

Curious where you might be watching Terps Basketball starting in 2023-24? Check this out.

The death of the Big Ten/ACC Challenge was probably something we should have seen coming. But given the 24-year history of the series, I had always just assumed they'd find a way to make it work. Whether that was by having someone like FOX or CBS share it with ESPN, or sub-licensing the B1G home games to ESPN....or something. But that's not happening, and ESPN is going all-in on its new SEC rights and starting an ACC/SEC Challenge instead.

So where does this leave the Big Ten? How do they replace those lost OOC games against power conference opponents? Do they just let the individual teams schedule their own replacements? Does the Big Ten look to expand the Gavitt Games, since the Big East is also a FOX partner? Do they replace them by adding a couple more conference games to the schedule? (with two more teams coming in 2024, and maybe even more down the road, this might make the most sense)

And are there bigger implications here? Could the Big Ten also stop playing in early-season tournaments that ESPN owns rights to, like the HOF Tip-Off the Terps were just in? 

#184 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 28 November 2022 - 04:57 PM

The death of the Big Ten/ACC Challenge was probably something we should have seen coming. But given the 24-year history of the series, I had always just assumed they'd find a way to make it work. Whether that was by having someone like FOX or CBS share it with ESPN, or sub-licensing the B1G home games to ESPN....or something. But that's not happening, and ESPN is going all-in on its new SEC rights and starting an ACC/SEC Challenge instead.

So where does this leave the Big Ten? How do they replace those lost OOC games against power conference opponents? Do they just let the individual teams schedule their own replacements? Does the Big Ten look to expand the Gavitt Games, since the Big East is also a FOX partner? Do they replace them by adding a couple more conference games to the schedule? (with two more teams coming in 2024, and maybe even more down the road, this might make the most sense)

And are there bigger implications here? Could the Big Ten also stop playing in early-season tournaments that ESPN owns rights to, like the HOF Tip-Off the Terps were just in? 

My guess is that we'll see a new early season tournament pop up that features BIG 10 teams. There have been rumblings about getting another one going for a couple years now, even heard it mentioned for DC as one of the possible host locations for a minute, but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense with the conference being nationwide now.

BIG 10/PAC 10 would be an interesting one with the USC/UCLA moves coming up.

Sidenote, had no idea that Johns Hopkins joined for mens and womens' Lax. Big 10 trying to become a power lacrosse conference to rival ACC out here.

@JeremyMStrain

#185 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,278 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 28 November 2022 - 05:11 PM

My guess is that we'll see a new early season tournament pop up that features BIG 10 teams. There have been rumblings about getting another one going for a couple years now, even heard it mentioned for DC as one of the possible host locations for a minute, but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense with the conference being nationwide now.

BIG 10/PAC 10 would be an interesting one with the USC/UCLA moves coming up.

Sidenote, had no idea that Johns Hopkins joined for mens and womens' Lax. Big 10 trying to become a power lacrosse conference to rival ACC out here.

The question with these tournaments is TV rights. Right now we don't know who will have the rights to Pac-12 sports going forward, though it sounds like we should learn that soon. Other problem with that would be that once USC/UCLA move, you have a 16-team conference and a 10-team conference. That's a pretty big imbalance that leaves 6 B1G teams on the outs every year.

One other thing I didn't really mention is that the Big 12/SEC Challenge also ends after this season. Maybe there's a possibility there. ESPN and FOX will continue to split Big 12 TV rights in the coming years, so maybe they can make that work easier than the ACC. And if the rumors are true that the Big 12 is trying to bring in Gonzaga, that could make it even more attractive. And they'd have 13 teams (with Gonzaga), so better balance than the Pac could offer.

JHU joined as an associate member for lacrosse the same time MD did, the 2015 season. When they added MD and Rutgers, that left them with 5 teams that played lacrosse (Michigan, Ohio State and Penn St the others). You need 6 teams to be a conference, so they needed to find someone to be an associate member. The Terps were big in pushing for Hopkins as a way to ensure their rivalry would keep going.

#186 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 28 November 2022 - 06:24 PM

What I've seen today is that it's pretty likely that a Big Ten/Big 12 Challenge begins now. Makes sense since FOX shares parts of both conference's TV rights.

@BSLZackKiesel

#187 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 November 2022 - 06:25 PM

Yep adds up. Couldn’t see the PAC wanting to dance with the Big Ten right now. They were pretty bitter I’m pretty sure.

#188 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,426 posts

Posted 28 November 2022 - 07:02 PM

They gotta rename these conferences when they go to Super whatever. The wildly incorrect numbers thing is so dumb.
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#189 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 28 November 2022 - 07:12 PM

What I've seen today is that it's pretty likely that a Big Ten/Big 12 Challenge begins now. Makes sense since FOX shares parts of both conference's TV rights.

That'd be fun, it's a pretty solid conference conference who didn't entirely need Texas or Oklahoma for its strength anyways

she/her

#190 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 03 December 2022 - 12:41 PM

Some thoughts: 

1) Gotta get Carey going.   

'21-'22 Georgetown: 13.5 ppg, 10.3 fga, 42% from the floor, 39% from 3 on 5.9 attempts, 91% at the line

'22-'23 MD: 7.9 ppg, 7.5 fga, 32% from the floor, 25% from 3 on 6.1 attempts, 81% at the line

2) Willard is comfortable with Martinez, Long, and Emilien... Need Cornish to join the rotation (and hopefully eventually push Carey). 
Batchelor's in-year development something to watch as well. 

2a) Swanton-Rodger has been in 7 games, Revaz just 3.  There are times Reese is going to get banged around, and get in foul-trouble during conference play.  Really would help if you could get to the point you are are comfortable using Swanton-Rodger for 5-8 minutes and 5 fouls a game.  Doesn't really need to do anything more than rebound. Minutes without Reese on the court will be very hard.  

3) MD was 9 of 23 from 3 last night, and 14 of 18 at the line.  That's a pretty good recipe. 

4) Maryland up to 19 in the KenPom, 12th in Adjusted Offense, 35th in Adjusted Defense, 263rd in Tempo,  

The tempo is interesting because it's below what MD was in '19-'20 (245). 

5) Lunardi had a bracket out before the Illinois win that had MD currently as a 6th seed. Also had 10 teams from the Big Ten dancing. 

6) Next 3 games... @Wisconsin, Tennessee (Brooklyn), UCLA.   ESPN's Match-up predictor gives MD a 46.6% chance of beating Wisconsin, a 37% chance of beating Tennessee, and a 60.5% chance of beating UCLA. 

#191 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,311 posts

Posted 03 December 2022 - 12:51 PM

I think they are about to encounter some adversity. We will see how Willard gets them through it.

#192 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 03 December 2022 - 12:57 PM

Those tempo numbers are very misleading. While they’re not shooting the ball early in the shot clock, they’re still moving with much quicker tempo within their half-court sets and pushing the ball up the court after every shot.
@BSLZackKiesel

#193 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,717 posts

Posted 03 December 2022 - 01:03 PM

Those tempo numbers are very misleading. While they’re not shooting the ball early in the shot clock, they’re still moving with much quicker tempo within their half-court sets and pushing the ball up the court after every shot.

I agree.  There is more pressing and trapping.  There is more pushing the ball.  There is scoring in transition, and getting points in the lane. Offense from defense.... looking for outlets....  not walking the ball up the court.  

#194 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 03 December 2022 - 10:33 PM

I think they are about to encounter some adversity. We will see how Willard gets them through it.

Adversity? I fully expect Willard to beat all three teams and then get loaded on 10 beers after each and every one.

#195 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 04 December 2022 - 12:48 PM

Willard said today that he and his coaching staff have a different package of plays for conference play than they do in non-conference. They had to dip into the non-conference plays against Illinois since it’s so early, which is why they struggled in the second half. He said they aren’t ready for Big Ten defenses yet, so they may look different come January.
@BSLZackKiesel

#196 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,278 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 05 December 2022 - 10:05 AM

The first NET rankings of the season have just been released, and Maryland comes in at #6 nationally.

• BSLChrisStoner, Mike B and hallas like this
@BSLZackKiesel

#197 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 05 December 2022 - 12:08 PM

AP Poll has them at #13 

she/her

#198 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,888 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 05 December 2022 - 12:09 PM

For the upcoming schedule: #7 Tenn and #19 UCLA 

she/her

#199 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,347 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 December 2022 - 12:10 PM

AP Poll has them at #13

Wow. I guessed 15-16. Damn. Knocking on the door of the top 10. That’s legit as hell. Love it.

Also love the way they responded to getting ranked. We’ve seen teams not handle that honor that well.

#200 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 06 December 2022 - 10:04 PM

Illinois just knocked off #2 Texas. That win last week even sweeter.
@BSLMikeRandall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=