#1941 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 30 September 2022 - 08:26 PM

With you on the zone coverage issues. Queen doesn't get enough depth on his drops and he doesn't seem to have any feel for a receiver in his area. Bynes just doesn't have the speed anymore but his insticts netted him that interception in zone coverage.

If only we could take Bynes' brain and put it in Queen's body we'd have a hell of a middle linebacker.

I did like Wink's defense for the most part. Certainly, having a pair of corners like Humphrey and Peters lent itself perfectly to that system. I will say there were times where I thought Wink was too aggressive. Especially when injuries hit and we didn't have the horses to play consistent man coverage on the outside, he still would look to bring 6 or 7.
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#1942 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,263 posts

Posted 30 September 2022 - 08:29 PM

With you on the zone coverage issues. Queen doesn't get enough depth on his drops and he doesn't seem to have any feel for a receiver in his area. Bynes just doesn't have the speed anymore but his insticts netted him that interception in zone coverage.

If only we could take Bynes' brain and put it in Queen's body we'd have a hell of a middle linebacker.

I did like Wink's defense for the most part. Certainly, having a pair of corners like Humphrey and Peters lent itself perfectly to that system. I will say there were times where I thought Wink was too aggressive. Especially when injuries hit and we didn't have the horses to play consistent man coverage on the outside, he still would look to bring 6 or 7.

Wink's issues were that be was too predictable, and he left the middle of the field wide open. Teams figured out what his blitz tendencies were, and just threw behind the blitz.

#1943 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 30 September 2022 - 08:41 PM

That's a multi-faceted discussion. If Hamilton is replacing Queen, he IS the ILB. Obviously the responsibilities are different. A safety, especially in a deep half, deep quarter or a deep third, is keeping everything in front of him. An ILB, depending on the zone responsibility of the defensive call, has to get enough depth to cover the gap between himself and the safeties, but also close enough to the LOS to cover a late leak from a TE or RB that initially stays in to block.

Personally, I hate zone coverage. Especially if you have a team that doesn't have a good pass rushing front 4. The longer a QB has, the more the gaps get stretched.

I love systems like Belichick's and Wink's. Blitz heavy with press man. If you have the CB's to do it, their isn't a better system IMO. Belichick has proven it for 2 decades now. Whenever he's had good press CB's, he has top defenses.

But in a system like Macdonald's, one where he seemingly leans on predominantly zone coverages. The ILB is one of the most important players to the scheme. I would argue that the ILB has the hardest coverage responsibilities in a zone scheme. It's more than just athleticism. You have to be a student of the game. You have to know what the other team likes to do, and what their tendencies are. You have to have a high football IQ, and good instincts. Queen has none of those things. I'm not sure Hamilton is the answer. But Hamilton can work through traffic, he has good instincts. He has a high football IQ. And he has good enough coverage skills. He got beat twice in Miami, once because he bit on a deep crosser where Waddle was running wide open in the middle of the field, and left the deep middle open for Hill. And the other was clearly a miscommunication. He hasn't been outright, consistently beaten to this point.

But I think all of this is a pipe dream. I feel like it's similar to the suggestion last season of giving Duvernay some snaps at RB, ala Deebo in SF. It's a great idea to at least try, but the Ravens will never do it.

I think Hamilton will end up being a line-up-everywhere safety like Mathieu or James. As it is he lines up in the box or on the line about 25% of his defensive snaps.

I don't understand why the Ravens are absolutely hell bent on keeping Queen on the field. He's in the 3rd year of his rookie deal and sometimes your picks just don't work out. He's a late first rounder, not some blue chip cant-miss prospect. Queen's had far more egregious days at the office than Hamilton vs Miami, yet it's Hamilton who gets snaps punitively taken away, while it took a year and a half for the Ravens to reduce Queen's snaps. Queen should have had his snap count reduced after the KC game last year when he let CEH (I think) truck him and got beat on like 9 passes in the flat in his coverage area.

#1944 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,263 posts

Posted 01 October 2022 - 05:37 AM

I think Hamilton will end up being a line-up-everywhere safety like Mathieu or James. As it is he lines up in the box or on the line about 25% of his defensive snaps.

I don't understand why the Ravens are absolutely hell bent on keeping Queen on the field. He's in the 3rd year of his rookie deal and sometimes your picks just don't work out. He's a late first rounder, not some blue chip cant-miss prospect. Queen's had far more egregious days at the office than Hamilton vs Miami, yet it's Hamilton who gets snaps punitively taken away, while it took a year and a half for the Ravens to reduce Queen's snaps. Queen should have had his snap count reduced after the KC game last year when he let CEH (I think) truck him and got beat on like 9 passes in the flat in his coverage area.

I honestly don't think Hamiltons snaps were reduced because of the mistakes. I think it was because of the defensive packages we were using against NE.

Although, everyone knows Harbaughs disdain for rookies. So it's possible he was in the doghouse.

#1945 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 01 October 2022 - 06:32 AM

I honestly don't think Hamiltons snaps were reduced because of the mistakes. I think it was because of the defensive packages we were using against NE.

Although, everyone knows Harbaughs disdain for rookies. So it's possible he was in the doghouse.

I don't understand how Harbaugh/MacDonald can watch a gimpy Stephens and JAD do a turnstile impression on every play and keep Hamilton on the sideline. JAD and Pepe are rookies too and they outsnapped Hamilton.

They let Queen play through every mistake imaginable as a rookie too.

#1946 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 01 October 2022 - 09:44 AM

I don't understand how Harbaugh/MacDonald can watch a gimpy Stephens and JAD do a turnstile impression on every play and keep Hamilton on the sideline. JAD and Pepe are rookies too and they outsnapped Hamilton.

They let Queen play through every mistake imaginable as a rookie too.

What's going on with Ben Cleveland?  They keep writing about all these OL mixes and matches and his name is never mentioned.  I guess he's officially in Shawshank. 

#1947 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 01 October 2022 - 09:48 AM

What's going on with Ben Cleveland? They keep writing about all these OL mixes and matches and his name is never mentioned. I guess he's officially in Shawshank.

Powers is a really good pass blocker. Apparently.

#1948 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 01 October 2022 - 09:49 AM

What's going on with Ben Cleveland? They keep writing about all these OL mixes and matches and his name is never mentioned. I guess he's officially in Shawshank.

My understanding is Powers has been a good pass blocker and bad run blocker. They might be fine with that at the moment, having one phase be adequate, with LT being such an unknown. Cleveland would probably be the opposite and I’d think had more upside but would add uncertainty.

#1949 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 01 October 2022 - 10:18 AM

Wink's issues were that be was too predictable, and he left the middle of the field wide open. Teams figured out what his blitz tendencies were, and just threw behind the blitz.

It also didn't help when, despite the blitz pressure, we didn't even sniff the QB. Thus leaving the secondary vulnerable.
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#1950 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,263 posts

Posted 01 October 2022 - 10:21 AM

It also didn't help when, despite the blitz pressure, we didn't even sniff the QB. Thus leaving the secondary vulnerable.

That was part of the problem with him being predictable. After a while, teams knew who was coming, and where they were coming from. Wink never evolved.

#1951 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 01 October 2022 - 03:06 PM

Stanley listed as questionable.

@mikeghg

#1952 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 01 October 2022 - 08:00 PM

Stanley listed as questionable.

I think he's active tomorrow.
@primetime667083

#1953 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 01 October 2022 - 08:07 PM

I think he's active tomorrow.

They brought Sharpe up from the PS so I am not sure.

@mikeghg

#1954 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 01 October 2022 - 08:11 PM

Kevon Seymour is back off the IR and is signed to the 53.

@mikeghg

#1955 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 01 October 2022 - 08:15 PM

JPP says he is playing tomorrow.

@mikeghg

#1956 Bmore Irish

Bmore Irish

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,635 posts

Posted 01 October 2022 - 08:31 PM

They brought Sharpe up from the PS so I am not sure.

Let's hope that has more to do with Mekari's availability than Stanley's.

#1957 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 02 October 2022 - 05:50 AM

With the wet conditions, I doubt Stanley plays.  I know at some point he has to test the ankle in less than ideal weather but I just don't think it's this week.  I hope I'm wrong. 

#1958 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 02 October 2022 - 06:08 AM

With the wet conditions, I doubt Stanley plays.  I know at some point he has to test the ankle in less than ideal weather but I just don't think it's this week.  I hope I'm wrong. 

Harbaugh said that won't be a factor, but who knows if thats just coach speak.

@BSLMikeRandall

#1959 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 03 October 2022 - 02:28 PM

Harbaugh said Bowser and Gus could return to practice this week. Both would be extremely helpful.

#1960 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 03 October 2022 - 02:38 PM

Something seriously up with Stanley. I cant be the only one who doesnt expect him to suit up or look anything like his old self if he does return. Really hope Im wrong. If he is just an avg LT thats huge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=