3122 replies to this topic

#1921 cprenegade

cprenegade

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 28 September 2022 - 07:30 PM

Dobbins limited in practice with a chest injury.

#1922 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 29 September 2022 - 09:27 AM

Dobbins limited in practice with a chest injury.

I am pretty sure he will play.  Probably just soreness from getting hit for the first time in a long time.

@mikeghg

#1923 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 29 September 2022 - 09:36 AM

Maybe?

It was a triceps tear. So a bit different in regards to overall function and strength. 

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#1924 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 29 September 2022 - 01:02 PM

Pierce opted for surgery.  He is done for the year.  I can not say I blame him.  Next man up, Travis Jones.

@mikeghg

#1925 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,012 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 01:18 PM

Pierce opted for surgery.  He is done for the year.  I can not say I blame him.  Next man up, Travis Jones.

One of the things I was encouraged about to start the year was having the strong rotation depth there on the line. Losing Pierce definitely hurts.  But they're still in good shape for now. 

#1926 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 29 September 2022 - 01:19 PM

I don't think the Ravens bring in another NT unless it is BWill.    They have Jones, Washington, Mack and the kid from Stephen F. Austin Rayshod Nichols. 

@mikeghg

#1927 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 01:55 PM

Dobbins was back today so that's good. Stanley practiced second day in a row, also good. Houston and Mekari were out. 

• Mike B likes this

#1928 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 29 September 2022 - 02:16 PM

Dobbins was back today so that's good. Stanley practiced second day in a row, also good. Houston and Mekari were out. 

It looks like Stanley may have realized it is time for him to get into the fight.

@mikeghg

#1929 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 30 September 2022 - 08:19 AM

The interview and video's of Stanley working with Faalele lead me to think this Sunday is the day we see Stanley.  Just watching the video, Stanley looks to be in great shape.  He was showing Faalele, footwork and how to punch by extending his arms.  The speed on how Ronnie did the drill and how Faalele did it was noticeable.

It is time to play Ronnie..

• Mike in STL, PrimeTime and makoman like this
@mikeghg

#1930 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,403 posts

Posted 30 September 2022 - 08:21 AM

Very positive article on Stanley. 

https://www.baltimor...details-surgery

#1931 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,981 posts

Posted 30 September 2022 - 08:38 AM

The interview and video's of Stanley working with Faalele lead me to think this Sunday is the day we see Stanley. Just watching the video, Stanley looks to be in great shape. He was showing Faalele, footwork and how to punch by extending his arms. The speed on how Ronnie did the drill and how Faalele did it was noticeable.
It is time to play Ronnie..

The finesse and nuance that men that large possess with their feet their movement never ceases to amaze me.

#1932 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,981 posts

Posted 30 September 2022 - 08:41 AM

Very positive article on Stanley.

https://www.baltimor...details-surgery

Feels good to read that. I was concerned he felt unsure of his ability to get out there.

#1933 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,180 posts

Posted 30 September 2022 - 11:04 AM

Stanley has to get out there and test the reconstructed ankle at some point. This week is probably as good as ever. I certainly understand his fears and apprehension because if he gets out there and is just a shell of what he was, that will probably be the end of his career. So, I do get how he feels.

#1934 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 30 September 2022 - 11:19 AM

Offensive the finesse and nuance that men that large possess with their feet and their movement never ceases to amaze me.

The video was on the sports last night, and the smoothness that Ronnie moves with, showed a noticeable difference.

I think he plays, but I could see a rainy conditions and wet field could push him back.

@mikeghg

#1935 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 30 September 2022 - 11:21 AM

Stanley has to get out there and test the reconstructed ankle at some point. This week is probably as good as ever. I certainly understand his fears and apprehension because if he gets out there and is just a shell of what he was, that will probably be the end of his career. So, I do get how he feels.

I think the Raiders game is weighing on his mind   Crosby is a good player but a healthy Ronnie Stanley handles him.  I would bet Ronnie never had a game anywhere near as bad as that one.  He does not want to fail.

@mikeghg

#1936 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 30 September 2022 - 01:33 PM

The video was on the sports last night, and the smoothness that Ronnie moves with, showed a noticeable difference.

I think he plays, but I could see a rainy conditions and wet field could push him back.

As we all know, football is played in the elements, so at some point, Stanley is going to have to play on a wet field, muddy field, snowy field, etc. Even if he can't play 60-65 snaps, just to get out there and hit someone for a few drives and come away unscathed would do wonders.

If you're competitive in anything and you've been out for some time, recovering from an injury/surgery, once the doctors tell you that you're healed, you have to get out there and do it.

I can only speak to my measly endeavor of being a competitive duckpin bowler and currently working my way back from a torn rotator cuff and torn biceps. I have been filled with self doubt, despair, anger and even depression because I haven't been physically able to do something I love and have competed at for pretty much my entire life. In August, after 2 surgeries, 5 and 1/2 months of pain, recovery and rehab, I was able to start practicing. I still have a little ways to go before I am able to compete again but I'm getting close.

I only recount this story because if I've felt the way I do, I can only imagine the range of emotions and pain that Ronnie Stanley has dealt with over the last 20 months as he tries to return to playing football at the highest level. I certainly hope this week is his time.

• JStruds likes this
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#1937 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 30 September 2022 - 02:20 PM

Stanley officially listed as questionable. That bodes well.

@primetime667083

#1938 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 30 September 2022 - 05:41 PM

So this is directed mostly at @Biggsy since he's a big proponent of having Hamilton in the box in place of Queen, but I'll take any answers:

I'm discussing Hamilton playing the linebacker position with someone on reddit, and the guy swears up and down that a MLB responsibilities in coverage are drastically different from a safety, even if the safety creeps up in the box. Mainly, he says that a MLB has to diagnose way more plays behind him than a safety does. This argument makes no sense to me because a strong safety rarely lines up more than 5 yards downfield, and if a player like Mathieu or Derwin James is playing in the box (and they've historically played in the box as much as 40-50% of their snaps) then they are there to fill in the spot of a linebacker, not to be a safety. The guy's argument makes more sense for a free safety but not for a strong safety or for a 3rd safety playing in the box. However I haven't really played football at any level and I may be missing something that someone who's actually played the game may understand.

Thiughts?

#1939 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 30 September 2022 - 06:48 PM

So this is directed mostly at @Biggsy since he's a big proponent of having Hamilton in the box in place of Queen, but I'll take any answers:
I'm discussing Hamilton playing the linebacker position with someone on reddit, and the guy swears up and down that a MLB responsibilities in coverage are drastically different from a safety, even if the safety creeps up in the box. Mainly, he says that a MLB has to diagnose way more plays behind him than a safety does. This argument makes no sense to me because a strong safety rarely lines up more than 5 yards downfield, and if a player like Mathieu or Derwin James is playing in the box (and they've historically played in the box as much as 40-50% of their snaps) then they are there to fill in the spot of a linebacker, not to be a safety. The guy's argument makes more sense for a free safety but not for a strong safety or for a 3rd safety playing in the box. However I haven't really played football at any level and I may be missing something that someone who's actually played the game may understand.
Thiughts?

This is going to be a non-answer answer but it really depends on your system, your personnel package and what responsibilities you put on what player.

Think about the 2000 Ravens. Ray was relaying the play calls from the sideline to the entire defense and then making any adjustments for the front 7, while, in all likelihood, Rod Woodson would make any adjustments for the back end. When referring to Mathieu or James, are those guys wearing the green dot for their respective defense? If so, of course they have a ton of responsibility, regardless of their alignment on a particular play.

To be honest, it's a fun discussion but even as hard core fans, we know very little about the on field operation of an NFL team.
@primetime667083

#1940 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,260 posts

Posted 30 September 2022 - 08:01 PM

Thiughts?

That's a multi-faceted discussion. If Hamilton is replacing Queen, he IS the ILB. Obviously the responsibilities are different. A safety, especially in a deep half, deep quarter or a deep third, is keeping everything in front of him. An ILB, depending on the zone responsibility of the defensive call, has to get enough depth to cover the gap between himself and the safeties, but also close enough to the LOS to cover a late leak from a TE or RB that initially stays in to block.

Personally, I hate zone coverage. Especially if you have a team that doesn't have a good pass rushing front 4. The longer a QB has, the more the gaps get stretched.

I love systems like Belichick's and Wink's. Blitz heavy with press man. If you have the CB's to do it, their isn't a better system IMO. Belichick has proven it for 2 decades now. Whenever he's had good press CB's, he has top defenses.

But in a system like Macdonald's, one where he seemingly leans on predominantly zone coverages. The ILB is one of the most important players to the scheme. I would argue that the ILB has the hardest coverage responsibilities in a zone scheme. It's more than just athleticism. You have to be a student of the game. You have to know what the other team likes to do, and what their tendencies are. You have to have a high football IQ, and good instincts. Queen has none of those things. I'm not sure Hamilton is the answer. But Hamilton can work through traffic, he has good instincts. He has a high football IQ. And he has good enough coverage skills. He got beat twice in Miami, once because he bit on a deep crosser where Waddle was running wide open in the middle of the field, and left the deep middle open for Hill. And the other was clearly a miscommunication. He hasn't been outright, consistently beaten to this point.

But I think all of this is a pipe dream. I feel like it's similar to the suggestion last season of giving Duvernay some snaps at RB, ala Deebo in SF. It's a great idea to at least try, but the Ravens will never do it.
  • PrimeTime likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=