#1861 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 September 2022 - 07:53 PM

Twitter is saying that Martinez is visiting the Raiders tomorrow so he’s not signed yet I guess. JPP is signed.

It is a story on the website so I think it is done,

@mikeghg

#1862 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 September 2022 - 07:54 PM

Supposedly contract could be up to 5.5 M

@mikeghg

#1863 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,709 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 23 September 2022 - 09:48 AM

Supposedly contract could be up to 5.5 M

I would imagine that the incentives have to be pretty lofty. At this point, JPP is akin to a wing and a prayer. His real value will be in being able to spell Houston and Oweh. Any actual production we get from him is a bonus, IMO.

• TwentyThirtyFive likes this
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#1864 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 September 2022 - 11:10 AM

I would imagine that the incentives have to be pretty lofty. At this point, JPP is akin to a wing and a prayer. His real value will be in being able to spell Houston and Oweh. Any actual production we get from him is a bonus, IMO.

My hopes are a little higher than that.  It was pretty well known, that he played most of last year with a torn rotator, so maybe he performs better, or at the very least takes some attention away from Oweh, and Houston and hopefully in a few weeks Bowser.

I think Oweh's struggles are in large part, is that he is adjusting to being the focus of the other teams pass protection.

• PrimeTime likes this
@mikeghg

#1865 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,709 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 23 September 2022 - 12:04 PM

My hopes are a little higher than that.  It was pretty well known, that he played most of last year with a torn rotator, so maybe he performs better, or at the very least takes some attention away from Oweh, and Houston and hopefully in a few weeks Bowser.

I think Oweh's struggles are in large part, is that he is adjusting to being the focus of the other teams pass protection.

I didn't realize that JPP was playing hurt. I was attributing the drop in production to age. Fingers crossed that he can provide a little bounce in production.

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#1866 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 01:34 PM

Hearing John talk today it seems to me like Stanley returning may be on Stanley. Almost seems like Stanley is the one who will make the call. 

#1867 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 01:40 PM

Hearing John talk today it seems to me like Stanley returning may be on Stanley. Almost seems like Stanley is the one who will make the call. 

Ugh...really don't wanna have to hear Mike Preston call Stanley soft all week now.  What an obnoxious thing to hear from a lifelong chair-sitter.  If a former player wants to call out a current player when they see something, I don't like it but I'll listen as the experience is very relevant.  When someone with no idea and no insight starts mouthing off and questioning someone's heart it drives me crazy.  I wish bad things upon such people.  Not horrible things, but bad, obnoxious, annoying drop-your-cellphone-in-a-public-toilet things.

#1868 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,631 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 September 2022 - 01:46 PM

I didn't realize that JPP was playing hurt. I was attributing the drop in production to age. Fingers crossed that he can provide a little bounce in production.

He has surgery in February.  He made the comment that had he been healthy he likely would have signed with the Ravens earlier.

@mikeghg

#1869 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 01:53 PM

Ugh...really don't wanna have to hear Mike Preston call Stanley soft all week now.  What an obnoxious thing to hear from a lifelong chair-sitter.  If a former player wants to call out a current player when they see something, I don't like it but I'll listen as the experience is very relevant.  When someone with no idea and no insight starts mouthing off and questioning someone's heart it drives me crazy.  I wish bad things upon such people.  Not horrible things, but bad, obnoxious, annoying drop-your-cellphone-in-a-public-toilet things.

IM reading between the lines a bit but I also remember someone bringing up something similar  earlier in training camp. Id say listen to Harbs presser today and read into it what you will. It kind of makes sense in that the Ravens trainers, coaches think hes pretty healthy and therefore didnt put him on IR to start the season. Ronnie makes the call when he is ready

#1870 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,779 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 01:56 PM

IM reading between the lines a bit but I also remember someone bringing iup something similar  earlier in training camp. Id say listen to Harbs presser today and read into it what you will

Haven't seen you or anyone here call him soft, so wasn't talking about anyone directly.  Other than Preston.  Him I'm definitely talking about.

#1871 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 02:00 PM

Haven't seen you or anyone here call him soft, so wasn't talking about anyone directly.  Other than Preston.  Him I'm definitely talking about.

Even before the injury there were questions about how long Ronnie wanted to play football. I dont think anyone has the right to call him unprofessional or question his heart. Anyone who wants to get out of this brutal game ASAP I dont resent them in the least.

#1872 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,425 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 02:07 PM

To me it definitely sounds like if it was up to the team he'd be playing, but he's not comfortable yet.

Jeff Zrebiec

@jeffzrebiec
Harbaugh said that Ronnie Stanley, who won't play Sunday, got a recovery day today after practicing the previous two days. Harbaugh said that Stanley is "week-to-week, day-to-day-ish."
1:54 PM · Sep 23, 2022

Jeff Zrebiec

@jeffzrebiec
Harbaugh made clear that a lot of this is up to Stanley. "It comes back to him feeling like he’s going to be playing at his best. That’s really what it boils down to. Very sound, very strong. I think he’s in great shape. Maybe the best shape that I’ve seen him in ..."
1:55 PM · Sep 23, 2022

Jeff Zrebiec

@jeffzrebiec
More Harbaugh: "When he feels like he’s ready to go out there and be Ronnie Stanley at his best, then he’ll be out there."
1:56 PM · Sep 23, 2022

• Mackus likes this

#1873 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 02:17 PM

To me it definitely sounds like if it was up to the team he'd be playing, but he's not comfortable yet.

Jeff Zrebiec

@jeffzrebiec
Harbaugh said that Ronnie Stanley, who won't play Sunday, got a recovery day today after practicing the previous two days. Harbaugh said that Stanley is "week-to-week, day-to-day-ish."
1:54 PM · Sep 23, 2022

Jeff Zrebiec

@jeffzrebiec
Harbaugh made clear that a lot of this is up to Stanley. "It comes back to him feeling like he’s going to be playing at his best. That’s really what it boils down to. Very sound, very strong. I think he’s in great shape. Maybe the best shape that I’ve seen him in ..."
1:55 PM · Sep 23, 2022

Jeff Zrebiec

@jeffzrebiec
More Harbaugh: "When he feels like he’s ready to go out there and be Ronnie Stanley at his best, then he’ll be out there."
1:56 PM · Sep 23, 2022

Absolutely. I just wonder if Ronnie knows he doesnt have it. I mean he knows himself best right. He might know he isnt close to what he used to be. That could make you pause about going back out there. Like I said the other day, I think we were all hoping the restructure on his contract was some positive sign he was "good". Now, Im starting to think he was the only place they could go to save a significant chunk of money since Lamar wasnt going to be signed.

#1874 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,130 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 02:52 PM

If you and the team believe you are healthy enough to practice...  and if you are are able to practicing...  then I don't get not playing. 

If you (the player) don't believe you are healthy.  Then stop practicing and get right. 

#1875 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 03:06 PM

I mean John says he is healthy. Dont think he is being deceptive. I think Ronnie has reservations for whatever reason

#1876 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 03:23 PM

The "s" word with Stanley has been gaining some credibility in my mind recently. And I say this as an out of shape middle aged nobody. :)

But I'll put it this way... David Segui always struck me as somebody who was naturally talented at baseball, but didn't have a passion for the game, and was very willing to shut it down with any ache or pain. Can't prove it of course, but it was my perception nonetheless. One evening the Orioles are playing <someone>, and Segui hits a flyball to left center. He comes out of the box with a painful grimace on his face and starts hobbling to first like he pulled a muscle. LF loses track of the ball and a routine out drops untouched. Segui immediately "turns on the jets" (for him, this is a relative phrase) and motors in to second with a double. No more limp or hobble. Like the ball hitting the ground magically eased his pain.

To me... it looked like he was faking something until he realized he was going to reach base anyway. He played a few more games, then like a week later was heading back to the DL.

I suspect there are some folks with natural talent and advantages that leverage them long enough to earn that big life changing salary at some point, and then coast the rest of their time and willingly finding time off, because why not? Maybe soft isn't the right word, but that's sort of where I think Ronnie MIGHT be.

Activated from I.R., practicing a fair amount now, yet still down on Sundays and the coach is saying it's basically his call... a little odd...

#1877 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,593 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 03:25 PM

Wish he'd just retire and get it over with so we could begin looking for his replacement.

#1878 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,709 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 23 September 2022 - 03:58 PM

He has surgery in February.  He made the comment that had he been healthy he likely would have signed with the Ravens earlier.

I had my rotator cuff repaired in March so I feel his pain. Plus, I'm middle aged, mostly out of shape guy and not a world class athlete, so his recovery has probably progressed quicker. All jokes aside, this surgery is no joke. Especially if it's on your dominant arm.

@primetime667083

#1879 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,709 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 23 September 2022 - 04:01 PM

The "s" word with Stanley has been gaining some credibility in my mind recently. And I say this as an out of shape middle aged nobody. :)

But I'll put it this way... David Segui always struck me as somebody who was naturally talented at baseball, but didn't have a passion for the game, and was very willing to shut it down with any ache or pain. Can't prove it of course, but it was my perception nonetheless. One evening the Orioles are playing <someone>, and Segui hits a flyball to left center. He comes out of the box with a painful grimace on his face and starts hobbling to first like he pulled a muscle. LF loses track of the ball and a routine out drops untouched. Segui immediately "turns on the jets" (for him, this is a relative phrase) and motors in to second with a double. No more limp or hobble. Like the ball hitting the ground magically eased his pain.

To me... it looked like he was faking something until he realized he was going to reach base anyway. He played a few more games, then like a week later was heading back to the DL.

I suspect there are some folks with natural talent and advantages that leverage them long enough to earn that big life changing salary at some point, and then coast the rest of their time and willingly finding time off, because why not? Maybe soft isn't the right word, but that's sort of where I think Ronnie MIGHT be.

Activated from I.R., practicing a fair amount now, yet still down on Sundays and the coach is saying it's basically his call... a little odd...

This sums up the situation really well. Odd is probably the best word to describe it. 

If Stanley wouldn't be able to play for the first month of the season, why didn't we PUP him? It seems like the organization was of the belief that he would be ready to go, otherwise, it seems like PUP would've been the correct call for Stanley.

@primetime667083

#1880 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 04:41 PM

When it comes to a person and their own body , I tend to give the benefit of the doubt. I would love to hear Stanley's take on it though.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=