#1822 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 21 September 2022 - 02:25 PM

Mosley is no HOFer but the fans respected and appreciated him. Speaking of which. Mosley in '23 baby

Mosley wasn't great in pass coverage either. Although, he did redeem himself with that pick vs the Browns in '18 to clinch the division.

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#1823 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 21 September 2022 - 02:25 PM

In no world should Queen ever be considered above average. At the very best, he's average. He isn't good at shedding blocks. He over-runs plays with regularity. He misses tackles. He falls for any counter or mis-direction. And he is possibly the worst cover ILB in football. He can run good for his size, and he can blitz really good. That's it. He's only playing because he was a 1st rounder, and we have no one else.

I actually think that if he has open space to tackle he's pretty good at making a play.  His lateral agility is really good for his size.  The issue is that he can't wrap up and everything else you mentioned.

#1824 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts

Posted 21 September 2022 - 02:28 PM

Is it a waste of Oweh's talents to have him at MLB?  He's a better cover LB than Queen, better against the run, and Oweh's not that great of a pass rusher.

#1825 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,263 posts

Posted 21 September 2022 - 03:05 PM

Mosley wasn't great in pass coverage either. Although, he did redeem himself with that pick vs the Browns in '18 to clinch the division.

He wasn't. He had the same issue of getting no depth in his drop. But Mosley was a monster against the run. And he didn't miss many tackles. If you're going to be bad in pass coverage, you're going to have to make up for it against the run.

I think the Ravens felt they could take Queen's athleticism, and develop him into a pass coverage ace. But he just has no instincts, or football IQ when it comes to coverage.

#1826 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,263 posts

Posted 21 September 2022 - 03:06 PM

Is it a waste of Oweh's talents to have him at MLB? He's a better cover LB than Queen, better against the run, and Oweh's not that great of a pass rusher.

I'd love to see Clark and Williams stay back as the 2 deep cover guys, and have Macdonald use Hamilton as his ILB on obvious passing downs.

#1827 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 21 September 2022 - 03:42 PM

I was watching some All-22 last night but fell asleep. I'd like to chart the Dolphins game because at least the first long drive, granted, all scripted in the week leading up to, Roman seems to tip their hand to what they are going to do. When they run, they come out in a goal line set. They motioned into a wishbone set a couple times and ran from that. When they pass they come out with receivers spread out in either 11 or 21 personnel (depending on if you consider Ricard a FB or blocking TE).

Football in the trenches is a numbers game. On the 3rd and short before the Mark Andrews sneak, they had no one spread out wide. Davis alone in the backfield, Jackson. 6 O-lineman, Andrews, Oliver, and Ricard on the line. Ricard would motion from left to right. But that alignment invited all 11 Dolphins defenders into within 5-6 yards of the LOS. 9 of them right on the LOS, and two LBs lurking. The numbers game I'm speaking of, is that each Ravens blocker and each of the 9 Dolphins defenders had a hat on a hat. Leaving Jackson and Davis to be accounted for by the two LBs. Once Jackson gives the ball off, both LBs just fill the gaps that Davis could go through, and there is no Ravens there to block them. 

Davis might be a retread like the others, but Dobbins isn't gaining any yardage in that situation either. I would think you have a better chance of gaining a yard if you get some of those 11 defenders out of the box by looking like you might run it, or you might throw it. But that's just me. 

• PrimeTime likes this
@BSLMikeRandall

#1828 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts

Posted 21 September 2022 - 03:58 PM

I was watching some All-22 last night but fell asleep. I'd like to chart the Dolphins game because at least the first long drive, granted, all scripted in the week leading up to, Roman seems to tip their hand to what they are going to do. When they run, they come out in a goal line set. They motioned into a wishbone set a couple times and ran from that. When they pass they come out with receivers spread out in either 11 or 21 personnel (depending on if you consider Ricard a FB or blocking TE).

Football in the trenches is a numbers game. On the 3rd and short before the Mark Andrews sneak, they had no one spread out wide. Davis alone in the backfield, Jackson. 6 O-lineman, Andrews, Oliver, and Ricard on the line. Ricard would motion from left to right. But that alignment invited all 11 Dolphins defenders into within 5-6 yards of the LOS. 9 of them right on the LOS, and two LBs lurking. The numbers game I'm speaking of, is that each Ravens blocker and each of the 9 Dolphins defenders had a hat on a hat. Leaving Jackson and Davis to be accounted for by the two LBs. Once Jackson gives the ball off, both LBs just fill the gaps that Davis could go through, and there is no Ravens there to block them. 

Davis might be a retread like the others, but Dobbins isn't gaining any yardage in that situation either. I would think you have a better chance of gaining a yard if you get some of those 11 defenders out of the box by looking like you might run it, or you might throw it. But that's just me. 

In 2019 they managed to get positive yardage out of a stacked box with the run option.  It worked consistently with Dobbins, Edwards, and Mark Ingram, and it's worked the few times they've tried it this year, but they've been much more hesitant to call it this year.  Part of the problem though is that it's a lot easier for the opposing defense to guess right if you just don't care about the running back because he sucks.

• Mike in STL likes this

#1829 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 21 September 2022 - 05:42 PM

Travis Jones and JK were full go today. Pepe Williams practiced so thats a good sign that the other day wasnt serious. Stephens back as well. Humphrey missed again. 

#1830 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 21 September 2022 - 06:05 PM

Travis Jones and JK were full go today. Pepe Williams practiced so thats a good sign that the other day wasnt serious. Stephens back as well. Humphrey missed again. 

I'm especially Interested to see if Jones will make an immediate impact because they sure need something up front. I also heard that Lamar didn't throw today in practice because he banged his arm on someone's helmet Sunday and its a bit sore. He didn't seem too concerned about it but you never know with this team and injuries.

#1831 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts

Posted 21 September 2022 - 06:20 PM

If JK and Justice can run like 15 times combined for around 4 YPC I think it will help a lot with ball control. That is nowhere near a full game's worth of carries but I think it's a realistic number coming off injury.
  • JStruds likes this

#1832 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,263 posts

Posted 21 September 2022 - 08:26 PM

If Dobbins practices in full all week again, and is inactive, again. I'm going to start losing my patience. You can only bubble wrap him for so long.

#1833 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 21 September 2022 - 08:56 PM

Yea one week for a career.

@fuzydunlop

#1834 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 07:58 AM

Balt Sun: Mike Preston: Can Ravens’ Ronnie Stanley and J.K. Dobbins dominate again? Here’s a doctor’s take. | COMMENTARY

#1835 JStruds

JStruds

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,818 posts
  • LocationHarford County

Posted 22 September 2022 - 08:16 AM

Balt Sun: Mike Preston: Can Ravens’ Ronnie Stanley and J.K. Dobbins dominate again? Here’s a doctor’s take. | COMMENTARY

That's not a very encouraging piece regarding Stanley. Hard to believe the FO - clearly knowing more than we or Preston about his injury - gambled on his recovery for a second straight year.

And, still no sign of Edwards even starting limited practice.

#1836 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,706 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 08:19 AM

Balt Sun: Mike Preston: Can Ravens’ Ronnie Stanley and J.K. Dobbins dominate again? Here’s a doctor’s take. | COMMENTARY

Haven't read the article but I gotta imagine its a lot of heavily hedged comments from a doctor (hopefully an orthopedic surgeon?) frequently noting that he can't say anything with confidence since he hasn't treated either guy which then get morphed by Preston into something with deep meaning and relevance about either player's specific recovery.

• You Play to Win the Game and TwentyThirtyFive like this

#1837 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 September 2022 - 08:47 AM

Haven't read the article but I gotta imagine its a lot of heavily hedged comments from a doctor (hopefully an orthopedic surgeon?) frequently noting that he can't say anything with confidence since he hasn't treated either guy which then get morphed by Preston into something with deep meaning and relevance about either player's specific recovery.

It is a typical Preston article.  He went to a Doctor who I do not think has ever met Stanley or Dobbins and got him to talk in general.

Here are a few excerpts.

“By far the biggest challenge after one of these severe injuries in such an elite athlete is getting that additional explosiveness and skill to come back,” Adams said. “There have been a lot of examples where athletes have been able to do it, but statistics tell us that not everyone is able to come back 100%.

But the surgery gives them a much better chance at doing so [than] if you didn’t fix it surgically. So, you are going to need patience.”

And on the rehab process.

“There are a couple of big advances to make these injuries recover quicker,” Adams said. “One is the rehabilitation afterward, where we’ve seen improvements in being able to more rapidly advance the therapy. Athletes are running sooner, getting stronger faster and can do what is called an accelerated rehabilitation program. That can significantly shorten the recovery time.

“We have more solid fixation methods and we have more predictable ways of fixing injuries in the knee. We also know they can use the knee sooner than we used to think 10 years ago.”

@mikeghg

#1838 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 22 September 2022 - 08:48 AM

Preston added his own comments that I skimmed past, but the one that made me laugh was him saying JK was a "cut above" the guys we have been using.but not a home run hitter.

@mikeghg

#1839 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,841 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 08:49 AM

I think we were all hopeful that the Stanley restructure was indicative of him being in a good place. Starting to think they just didnt have many or any other options to get some salary cap when it became apparent Lamar wasnt going to be extended.

#1840 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,464 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 September 2022 - 08:49 AM

That’s total BS. JKD is the definition of a home run hitter. Only a matter of time. I think he’s a possible X-Factor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=