3122 replies to this topic

#2541 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,023 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 04:34 AM

At the end of the day, we just need to get into the playoffs as healthy as possible. We're still capable of making a run if we get everybody back on the field.
  • Mackus and Mike B like this
@DaKittenz

#2542 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 30 November 2022 - 11:33 AM

Just to change up the mojo, I'm watching the divisional playoff game from 2000. It's amazing how much the game has changed in the last 20 years. The game was much slower back then but incredibly more violent. 

And poor Al Del Greco. In hindsight, I feel really bad for him.

• Mike B likes this
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#2543 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 30 November 2022 - 12:32 PM

At the end of the day, we just need to get into the playoffs as healthy as possible. We're still capable of making a run if we get everybody back on the field.

The NFL season is one of peaks and valleys.  Hopefully we can get things together on Sunday.  

I think getting Hamilton back is key.  I saw him moving around the sideline on Sunda yand he did not seem to be limping.  I am looking forward to seeing the injury report today.

@mikeghg

#2544 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 12:32 PM

Just to change up the mojo, I'm watching the divisional playoff game from 2000. It's amazing how much the game has changed in the last 20 years. The game was much slower back then but incredibly more violent.

And poor Al Del Greco. In hindsight, I feel really bad for him.

Now go back and find 1980 football. How much did it change in that 20 years.

#2545 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 30 November 2022 - 12:35 PM

Go Back to the Unitas years and you would think players should be charged with assault.

• PrimeTime, bmore_ken and mdrunning like this
@mikeghg

#2546 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 30 November 2022 - 01:04 PM

Quarterback play and passing games in general certainly evolved from 1980-2000. Although, rushing attacks hadn't evolved much at all. It was pretty much pro set, I formation or offset I. Then, you would see single back formation in obvious passing downs.

Although, the way the Ravens ran their passing game in 2000 looked like it was right out of 1980. LOL

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#2547 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,180 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 01:25 PM

Go Back to the Unitas years and you would think players should be charged with assault.

And even with the fact that you could maul receivers going down the field and pound quarterbacks into submission AFTER they had thrown the ball without any flags being thrown, Unitas still put up some excellent numbers.  Many would look at his completion percentages throughout his career and laugh but it was such a different game then.  If you completed 50-55% of your passes, that was elite. Turnovers were through the roof too.  There were very few games that didn't have at least a few interceptions and fumbles. And a lot more deep passing patterns or "bombs" as they called them in those days.  Definitely a predominantly running back offense then and again, if you averaged 4 yards a carry, that was top shelf.  It makes you realize how great Jim Brown was relative to the rest of the running backs from that era.  Most teams ran the ball at least 40 times a game. 

• Mike B likes this

#2548 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,623 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 30 November 2022 - 01:46 PM

And even with the fact that you could maul receivers going down the field and pound quarterbacks into submission AFTER they had thrown the ball without any flags being thrown, Unitas still put up some excellent numbers.  Many would look at his completion percentages throughout his career and laugh but it was such a different game then.  If you completed 50-55% of your passes, that was elite. Turnovers were through the roof too.  There were very few games that didn't have at least a few interceptions and fumbles. And a lot more deep passing patterns or "bombs" as they called them in those days.  Definitely a predominantly running back offense then and again, if you averaged 4 yards a carry, that was top shelf.  It makes you realize how great Jim Brown was relative to the rest of the running backs from that era.  Most teams ran the ball at least 40 times a game. 

All true.

I was a little to young to appreciate Jim Brown, but if you study the numbers, they are incredible.  He retired early or he would have set the bar out of reach.

@mikeghg

#2549 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,180 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 02:16 PM

All true.

I was a little to young to appreciate Jim Brown, but if you study the numbers, they are incredible.  He retired early or he would have set the bar out of reach.

Before my time too but I'm a stat nut and I've educated myself over the years with all the players from that era.  I've seen enough film footage of Brown to appreciate how special he was.  Gale Sayers too, who Lamar reminded me of when he first broke on to the scene. 

#2550 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 30 November 2022 - 04:45 PM

Had to share this. Probably a pipe dream, but that he made the top of Feldman's list is....something, at least.

Who will replace David Shaw at Stanford? Chris Petersen and Gregg Roman could be ones to watch (paywalled)

Maybe not a pipe dream after all.

https://www.si.com/c...inator-harbaugh

#2551 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 04:57 PM

Maybe not a pipe dream after all.

https://www.si.com/c...inator-harbaugh

Interesting. More so to see how well Roman does at Stanford then anything to do with the Ravens. It does feel like its the right time for him to move on. For both sides. I say that as someone who has appreciated the job he has done here as OC.

#2552 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 30 November 2022 - 05:38 PM

And even with the fact that you could maul receivers going down the field and pound quarterbacks into submission AFTER they had thrown the ball without any flags being thrown, Unitas still put up some excellent numbers. Many would look at his completion percentages throughout his career and laugh but it was such a different game then. If you completed 50-55% of your passes, that was elite. Turnovers were through the roof too. There were very few games that didn't have at least a few interceptions and fumbles. And a lot more deep passing patterns or "bombs" as they called them in those days. Definitely a predominantly running back offense then and again, if you averaged 4 yards a carry, that was top shelf. It makes you realize how great Jim Brown was relative to the rest of the running backs from that era. Most teams ran the ball at least 40 times a game.

This is a bit perverse but I think that the reason the price for WRs and QBs have exploded is because those positions have been given increasingly favored status in the name of player safety. If you're not as likely to get injured doing your job its a lot easier to guarantee a large amount of money for the production.

This has a snowballs chance in hell of being implemented, but I think that most of the newer player safety rules below the head should be cancelled. The landing on someone with force, hitting below the waist, etc. gives players deemed to be "defenseless" too much preferential treatment distorts the value of players involved in the passing game vs players that aren't.
  • jamesdean likes this

#2553 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,981 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 06:40 PM

Lamar left practice with a quad injury today.

Perfect.

#2554 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 07:13 PM

Dont let Ricker know we are 2nd in DVOA. 5th in Offense. 9th in Defense. I think it would tilt him too hard. :wink:
  • You Play to Win the Game likes this

#2555 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 30 November 2022 - 07:44 PM

Interesting. More so to see how well Roman does at Stanford then anything to do with the Ravens. It does feel like its the right time for him to move on. For both sides. I say that as someone who has appreciated the job he has done here as OC.

I do think he tried to change after he got called out for absolutely awful pass play designs in 2020.  But I think he's kind of at the end of his rope with that.  We need to hope that one of the assistants absorbed some info about his run game planning and that they can coordinate our run game to at least 80 or 90% of Roman's level.

• TwentyThirtyFive likes this

#2556 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,831 posts

Posted 30 November 2022 - 07:49 PM

I do think he tried to change after he got called out for absolutely awful pass play designs in 2020. But I think he's kind of at the end of his rope with that. We need to hope that one of the assistants absorbed some info about his run game planning and that they can coordinate our run game to at least 80 or 90% of Roman's level.

Absolutely agree. Hes a run game genius.

#2557 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,393 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 30 November 2022 - 07:59 PM

I'm skeptical that would work out. Seems like a bad fit on both sides. The college game has changed so much since Roman was last there. Basically every waking moment that you aren't coaching, you are recruiting. Does he really want that?

That said, his inability to develop an effective passing scheme has maybe seen his star fall at the NFL level, and if he wants to be a head coach, college may be his best shot at this point.

#2558 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,463 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 November 2022 - 08:49 PM

I'm skeptical that would work out. Seems like a bad fit on both sides. The college game has changed so much since Roman was last there. Basically every waking moment that you aren't coaching, you are recruiting. Does he really want that?

That said, his inability to develop an effective passing scheme has maybe seen his star fall at the NFL level, and if he wants to be a head coach, college may be his best shot at this point.

That was my thought as well. Hard to win at Stanford, and Greg Roman doesn’t exactly inspire confidence. That said, he developed a Young Lamar Jackson into an MVP season and potentially the 2nd fully guaranteed QB contract in NFL history. He will probably be able to recruit pretty damn well off that.

#2559 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 01 December 2022 - 12:27 AM

Yeah, maybe at a school like Navy, which throws the ball about once every lunar cycle. Stanford's tough, if for no other reason than not everybody qualifies to get into that school. 

Right now all that's been said is Roman has talked to Stanford about the job. It's unknown how many other candidates are under consideration. There is a Stanford connection with Roman, however, as he was on Jim Harbaugh's staff there from 2009-2010.

#2560 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,705 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 01 December 2022 - 10:10 AM

Dont let Ricker know we are 2nd in DVOA. 5th in Offense. 9th in Defense. I think it would tilt him too hard. :wink:

This is why I'm so perplexed with where the offense is at right now. On one hand, they're doing some good things and, specifically to last Sunday, when the Ravens score 27 points, it should be enough to win. On the other hand, it just feels like something isn't quite clicking.

My best guess is that the red zone struggles over the last 2 months are at the center of everything. After starting the season at 8 for 10, the Ravens have gone 14 for 33 in the red zone since Week 3. For the season, the Ravens sit 24th in the league with a 51.16% success rate in the red zone. If the Ravens can convert red zone opportunities in TDs at 60-65% clip moving forward, I think it would go a long way. 

They will need to eliminate the delay of game penalties and late snaps in the red zone. Just be more crisp in general. Plus, getting Ronnie Stanley and JK Dobbins back in the fold would go a long way as well.

• Ravens2006 likes this
@primetime667083

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=