3122 replies to this topic

#2501 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 28 November 2022 - 10:48 AM

I think you could argue in good faith that if we still had Wink we would have at minimum 2 more wins. Imagine the difference in narrative on Lamar if the team was 9-2 or 10-1 right now.

McDonald's been pretty good since the Miami game, IMO.  Many people were raving about him after the past few games.  

The Miami game seemed like a complete failure of scheme.  The other blown leads, while certainly some blame must go to coaching, I put it equally on the players not executing.

#2502 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,994 posts

Posted 28 November 2022 - 10:52 AM

McDonald's been pretty good since the Miami game, IMO. Many people were raving about him after the past few games.

The Miami game seemed like a complete failure of scheme. The other blown leads, while certainly some blame must go to coaching, I put it equally on the players not executing.

Miami has also proven themselves to be one of the best teams with one of the best offenses in the NFL.

#2503 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,472 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 November 2022 - 11:10 AM

Gotta love just wasting a last place schedule like this. Pretty shameful stuff.

#2504 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 28 November 2022 - 11:19 AM

Gotta love just wasting a last place schedule like this. Pretty shameful stuff.

Not sure I see a big advantage for the Ravens last place schedule over the Browns 3rd place schedule.  Chargers and Texans versus Jags and Broncos.  Chargers are clearly the best team of the bunch, but Houston is also clearly the worst.  Definitely an easier slate than the 1st and 2nd place schedules though.

0-2 in these games so far certainly stinks.  Especially the way they were lost.

Ravens get Jaguars, Broncos, Giants

Browns get Chargers, Texans, Commanders

Steelers get Colts, Raiders, Eagles, 

Bengals get Titans, Chiefs, Cowboys

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#2505 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,264 posts

Posted 28 November 2022 - 11:34 AM

McDonald's been pretty good since the Miami game, IMO. Many people were raving about him after the past few games.

The Miami game seemed like a complete failure of scheme. The other blown leads, while certainly some blame must go to coaching, I put it equally on the players not executing.

Sick and tired of seeing 7-10 yard cushions, and soft "sticks" zone coverages when we have a lead in the 4th. He does throw the occasional blitz on 1st down. Then ruins it by giving 10 yards up underneath the next play.

His whole gameplan on that last drive was to just give them easy yards and try to lock down in the redzone. Unacceptable. How many blown leads does his defense get to give up before people hold him accountable?

#2506 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 28 November 2022 - 11:37 AM

Since we're talking schedule...

ROS the Ravens have the 31st toughest schedule in the league (i.e. 2nd easiest).  Oddly enough KC has the easiest schedule.

But for division, and why I'm not panicked about being tied right now, Cincy has the 4th hardest schedule left with games against KC, Buffalo, NE, and TB.

Also we're ahead of Cincy not only with the head-to-head right now but with the division schedule 2-0 to 1-3.  Its not a given, but I think it'd take a huge collapse to not win the division.  Avoiding that huge collapse is the concern.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#2507 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 28 November 2022 - 11:39 AM

How many blown leads does his defense get to give up before people hold him accountable?

What does hold him accountable mean?  Fire him?  

They aren't going to fire him during the season and probably not after it unless things get really bad.  So if that's the only accountability you can envision, I don't think you're gonna get it.

#2508 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,472 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 November 2022 - 11:42 AM

I don’t think they’ll have a huge collapse.

#2509 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 28 November 2022 - 11:54 AM

I don’t think they’ll have a huge collapse.

Me neither.  But I don't mean like last year where they go 0-5 to finish or whatever it was.  3-3 to end the year would be a huge collapse, IMO, given the schedule.

I don't think that will happen, but that's probably what it would take for the division to be in doubt.  Bengals would have to go 4-2 against their tough schedule or go 3-3 (including beating Bal and Cle), have the Ravens lose two of their three against Pitt and Cle, and then get some help in the conference record.  Its too far out to project that tiebreaker.

#2510 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 28 November 2022 - 12:20 PM

Yeah, because teams definitely didn’t show last year they can beat Wink’s cover 0.

Any NFL team can beat cover 0 when you have UPS drivers as your starting CBs.

#2511 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,472 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 November 2022 - 12:29 PM

Then why call cover zero so much? More excuses.

#2512 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts

Posted 28 November 2022 - 01:40 PM

That's why he's not DC anymore.

#2513 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 28 November 2022 - 04:55 PM

Roquan is really good at what he does. THat tackle he made on 3rd down on that screen when Jac kicked their FG late was a TD saver for sure. Very fast and great IQ. Love him. That said I think a decision will to be made between paying him and paying a CB to pair alongside Marlo. Peters has lost a step, he gives up on plays at times, he isnt a very good zone CB which MacDonald prefers, and he has become a malcontent. I see no way he is back or can be brought back. None of the other guys in house look anywhere close to being good enough to consider handing a starting CB job. Now, you could lock yourself in on CB in the draft in round 1 but that is dangerous to have that big of a need in the draft.

#2514 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,264 posts

Posted 28 November 2022 - 05:07 PM

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means, what you think it means."

#2515 Biggsy

Biggsy

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,264 posts

Posted 28 November 2022 - 05:09 PM

What does hold him accountable mean? Fire him?

They aren't going to fire him during the season and probably not after it unless things get really bad. So if that's the only accountability you can envision, I don't think you're gonna get it.

Minimum, I want to hear it get addressed at a presser. I want to hear Harbaugh, or Macdonald himself come out and admit something needs to change. At least they're giving lip service on the late snaps and huddle breaks. Not one mention of the terrible soft coverages at the end of games. No one ever brings up the 7+ yard cushions. Everyone immediately wants to throw Lamar under the bus after a loss. But Macdonald seems to stay under the radar.

#2516 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,472 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 November 2022 - 05:11 PM

It means exactly what I think it means. Most explanations are excuses. Every NFL team has a salary cap. Every team has injuries. Every team comes down to scheme and execution. I’m tired of the posts that give people a pass by nature, under the guise of providing a logical explanation for the bad thing being discussed.

#2517 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts

Posted 28 November 2022 - 05:12 PM

Yeah, I actually don't think Wink went into cover-0 press that often. Maybe occasionally? But my recollection is that his preferred coverage package on a blitz was single high with press man, and either a linebacker blitzing on some kind of stunt, or doing a zone blitz with Campbell or Bowser dropping back and a safety/CB blitzing.

#2518 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 28 November 2022 - 05:20 PM

It means exactly what I think it means. Most explanations are excuses. Every NFL team has a salary cap. Every team has injuries. Every team comes down to scheme and execution. I’m tired of the posts that give people a pass by nature, under the guise of providing a logical explanation for the bad thing being discussed.

SO much of the "bad things being discussed" are exaggerated or flat out wrong

#2519 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,472 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 November 2022 - 05:22 PM

No, you’re right. Print those Super Bowl tickets. Everything is perfect.

#2520 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 28 November 2022 - 05:35 PM

No, you’re right. Print those Super Bowl tickets. Everything is perfect.

Lolz. Though I would advise you to consider the Ravens on a bet to win the SB at +1800. Its highly unlikely to get better and they are clearly capable. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=