3122 replies to this topic

#2561 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,202 posts

Posted 01 December 2022 - 06:42 PM

Did Lamar address the press today about the Twitter mellow drama?  I haven't read or heard anything. 

#2562 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 01 December 2022 - 09:00 PM

Did Lamar address the press today about the Twitter mellow drama?  I haven't read or heard anything. 

Nope. why should he?

#2563 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,191 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 04:39 AM

Lamar took down the tweet.

Why would he need to do anything else?
  • bmore_ken likes this
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#2564 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,202 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 06:54 AM

Nope. why should he?

Because I read in the paper he was going to address the media about it.  That was on Monday.  Supposedly to present his apology.  

#2565 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,415 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 08:40 AM

I read on Twitter the other day (don’t remember who, sorry) that Lamar was supposed to talk to the media Wednesday, but didn’t cause he left early hurt. Would likely happen Thursday or Friday. I didn’t see anything yesterday.

#2566 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,758 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 08:47 AM

Lamar took down the tweet.

Why would he need to do anything else?

Never doing it again is enough, but I think he could do even better.  I'd have liked to see him (sincerely) apologize for the specific language.  Its definitely a bad look for someone as admired as he is and followed by people to be demonstrating the homophobia he chose to use even if that wasn't the intent, which I imagine it wasn't.  I don't mind engaging with and even insulting that particular fan really at all.  Everyone slips up from time-to-time and says some word that has further-reaching harm than intended in the heat of the moment.  I think the huge platform that Lamar has gives him an opportunity to create some good out of this if he chooses.

#2567 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,191 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 09:45 AM

Never doing it again is enough, but I think he could do even better. I'd have liked to see him (sincerely) apologize for the specific language. Its definitely a bad look for someone as admired as he is and followed by people to be demonstrating the homophobia he chose to use even if that wasn't the intent, which I imagine it wasn't. I don't mind engaging with and even insulting that particular fan really at all. Everyone slips up from time-to-time and says some word that has further-reaching harm than intended in the heat of the moment. I think the huge platform that Lamar has gives him an opportunity to create some good out of this if he chooses.

His account was probably suspended and he took down the tweet. So he was reinstated. If I was Lamar, I wouldn't apologize. It may open him up to some discipline from the NFL if he does. He also may have apologized to the guy in a message, or he doesn't feel the need to apologize to tje other poster.That is certainly his choice.

As you stated, everyone has said stuff that they regret in the heat of the moment. While it was vulgar, I have seen worse on that platform. My guess is he may give a generic apology the next time he addresses the press.

#2568 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,758 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 09:59 AM

His account was probably suspended and he took down the tweet. So he was reinstated. If I was Lamar, I wouldn't apologize. It may open him up to some discipline from the NFL if he does. He also may have apologized to the guy in a message, or he doesn't feel the need to apologize
As you stated, everyone has said stuff that they regret in the heat of the moment. While it was vulgar, I have seen worse on that platform. My guess is he may give a generic apology the next time he addresses the press.

Why would apologizing open him up to punishment?

I don't care about him apologizing to the guy, publicly or privately.  I care about conveying his remorse to those who suffer when attitudes represented by the language he used are allowed to flourish.  And far more than that, I care about him being able to demonstrate to the influenceable people who might listen to him that its dangerous to be careless with language that can be so harmful to people you aren't even intending to harm.  The casual acceptance of bigotry is a bad thing, he can help point that out and show that everyone can work to eliminate it as much as possible.

I don't think he has to come out and do this to still be viewed in a favorable way.  Like I said, simply not doing it again is indeed enough.  But I think he could do more and I wish he would and I think that would be very in line with the character we've seen from him until this outburst.

I like Lamar and will continue to do so.  Just seems like an opportunity to turn a mistake into a net positive if he wants to.

#2569 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,191 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 10:06 AM

Why would apologizing open him up to punishment?

I don't care about him apologizing to the guy, publicly or privately. I care about conveying his remorse to those who suffer when attitudes represented by the language he used are allowed to flourish. And far more than that, I care about him being able to demonstrate to the influenceable people who might listen to him that its dangerous to be careless with language that can be so harmful to people you aren't even intending to harm. The casual acceptance of bigotry is a bad thing, he can help point that out and show that everyone can work to eliminate it as much as possible.

I don't think he has to come out and do this to still be viewed in a favorable way. Like I said, simply not doing it again is indeed enough. But I think he could do more and I wish he would and I think that would be very in line with the character we've seen from him until this outburst.

I like Lamar and will continue to do so. Just seems like an opportunity to turn a mistake into a net positive if he wants to.

It's an admission that he made a mistake that involves potential/perceived "hate speech."

I think the iron hand of the NFL would likely swoop down on him if he did this.

I don't think he owes anyone except the initial poster an apology.

#2570 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 December 2022 - 10:11 AM

He very clearly isn’t apologetic. I’m shocked he has gotten a free pass on this.

#2571 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,758 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 10:12 AM

I don't think he owes anyone except the initial poster an apology.

Interesting.  I don't care about that guy at all.  I think its the potential collateral damage here that matters.

#2572 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,191 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 10:19 AM

Interesting. I don't care about that guy at all. I think its the potential collateral damage here that matters.

I really don't care about him either.

To be clear, if there's an apology, he's the one that should get it.

Further, I think that a public apology for the tweet would galvanize the belief among some that Lamar is homophobic because of his initial response to the poster.

#2573 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,936 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 10:23 AM

He should apologize for acting like a pre-Madonna.

#2574 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 10:29 AM

He should stay off social media in season, or have someone else handle is account. Harbs is right, nothing good really comes out of it when you're in his position and especially nothing good comes after a loss.
  • PrimeTime likes this

#2575 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,758 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 10:29 AM

He should apologize for acting like a pre-Madonna.

You mean Cher?
  • makoman likes this

#2576 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,936 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 10:31 AM

You mean Cher?

I was thinking more like Pat Benatar.

#2577 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,758 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 10:35 AM

Further, I think that a public apology for the tweet would galvanize the belief among some that Lamar is homophobic because of his initial response to the poster.

He said what he said.  It was homophobic.  I think saying it and then not addressing it is what would make people think that maybe Lamar actually does think that way and it wasn't just letting a damaging word slip through when lashing out while frustrated.  I suspect that it was just letting a damaging word slip through and will give him the benefit of the doubt even if he does nothing.  Taking action to say he understands how it can be harmful would confirm that for me.  If he lets it linger, then only time will show that it was an unfortunate one-off and not an accidental revelation of his beliefs.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#2578 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,202 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 10:55 AM

He said what he said.  It was homophobic.  I think saying it and then not addressing it is what would make people think that maybe Lamar actually does think that way and it wasn't just letting a damaging word slip through when lashing out while frustrated.  I suspect that it was just letting a damaging word slip through and will give him the benefit of the doubt even if he does nothing.  Taking action to say he understands how it can be harmful would confirm that for me.  If he lets it linger, then only time will show that it was an unfortunate one-off and not an accidental revelation of his beliefs.

Sure it can be read as homophobic but I seriously doubt Lamar harbors those feelings about gays.  He seems like a decent person who is respectful and was raised to be like that.  The comment, "eat ----" is a variation of "suck my ----".  If I had a dollar for every time I heard that crack growing up, I'd be sitting pretty right now.  And it was almost always directed at another guy.  I'm not trying to minimize the potential, social ramifications of it but I think Lamar just hurled it as an infantile remark without much behind it.  Actually, the whole tweet was pretty much on a 4th grade level and I found it more embarrassing than insulting.  It didn't say much for his maturity level.  In any rate, reporters have that nagging tendency to not let anything go so I wouldn't be surprised if they bring it up to him almost immediately the next time he has a presser.  Then he'll apologize and that will be that.  I suppose it's possible he'll be reprimanded by the league but since we haven't heard a peep out of them yet, maybe it's already been swept under the rug. 

• Mackus and russsnyder like this

#2579 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,758 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 11:08 AM

Sure it can be read as homophobic but I seriously doubt Lamar harbors those feelings about gays.  He seems like a decent person who is respectful and was raised to be like that.  The comment, "eat ----" is a variation of "suck my ----".  If I had a dollar for every time I heard that crack growing up, I'd be sitting pretty right now.  And it was almost always directed at another guy.  I'm not trying to minimize the potential, social ramifications of it but I think Lamar just hurled it as an infantile remark without much behind it.  Actually, the whole tweet was pretty much on a 4th grade level and I found it more embarrassing than insulting.  It didn't say much for his maturity level.  In any rate, reporters have that nagging tendency to not let anything go so I wouldn't be surprised if they bring it up to him almost immediately the next time he has a presser.  Then he'll apologize and that will be that.  I suppose it's possible he'll be reprimanded by the league but since we haven't heard a peep out of them yet, maybe it's already been swept under the rug. 

Yeah I agree with all this and have tried to say as much.  Him coming out and apologizing, with particular emphasis on how the language has unintended implications and needs to be removed from everyone's lexicons for that reason, would completely put it to bed and frankly, may be enough of a positive action coming from Lamar that it would be a net positive overall.  Its a good opportunity for Lamar to do some good here by showing people who would listen to him and care what he thinks that the "that's so gay" part of this is not cool and everyone can work to eliminate it.

• You Play to Win the Game and jamesdean like this

#2580 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 December 2022 - 11:21 AM

Isn’t this 101/bare minimum too though? Or should be. I guess he doesn’t have a publicist either. It’s kind of remarkable to me he hasn’t addressed it at all yet. Makes me very unlikely to believe him now when he does. I think it says a lot.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=