3122 replies to this topic

#2581 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,197 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 12:33 PM

Sure it can be read as homophobic but I seriously doubt Lamar harbors those feelings about gays. He seems like a decent person who is respectful and was raised to be like that. The comment, "eat ----" is a variation of "suck my ----". If I had a dollar for every time I heard that crack growing up, I'd be sitting pretty right now. And it was almost always directed at another guy. I'm not trying to minimize the potential, social ramifications of it but I think Lamar just hurled it as an infantile remark without much behind it. Actually, the whole tweet was pretty much on a 4th grade level and I found it more embarrassing than insulting. It didn't say much for his maturity level. In any rate, reporters have that nagging tendency to not let anything go so I wouldn't be surprised if they bring it up to him almost immediately the next time he has a presser. Then he'll apologize and that will be that. I suppose it's possible he'll be reprimanded by the league but since we haven't heard a peep out of them yet, maybe it's already been swept under the rug.

I agree.

I don't think Lamar is homophobic.

IMO, his tweet was more about questioning the guy's manhood than being homophobic.

It probably falls more under "toxic masculinity" than homophobia IMHO.

As I stated earlier, he may have apologized to the guy personally. Further, his taking the tweet down was an admission to twitter that he violated their terms.

Further, any fallout is primarily on Lamar. It's his account and he does do sone business on twiiter.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#2582 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 12:39 PM

I don't really believe 95% of these "public apologies". People say what they mean in the moment way more often than not.

Some random yahoo tagged him in a negative post after he lost a game, he got pissed off about it, and insulted the dude with some vulgarity. Whatever. You insult me, I insult you. Human nature at work...

He should just stop or stop caring about public social media. And that goes for just about every athlete / celebrity.
  • bmore_ken likes this

#2583 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 01:41 PM

https://fivethirtyei...more-penalties/

Thought this was interesting.  Attempts to show some correlation between Pre-snap motion and Delay of Game penalties, but also shows that plays with pre-snap motion are generally effective and give teams an advantage over not having it.

I still hate bringing the clock down so low.  I think you gotta find a way to get all your motion in and still get the snap off.  

#2584 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 02:22 PM

Thought this was interesting.  Attempts to show some correlation between Pre-snap motion and Delay of Game penalties, but also shows that plays with pre-snap motion are generally effective and give teams an advantage over not having it.

I still hate bringing the clock down so low.  I think you gotta find a way to get all your motion in and still get the snap off.  

The presnap motion is absolutely a plus for us. A big one.

#2585 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,412 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 02 December 2022 - 02:31 PM

Seems like Lamar, after calling the play in the huddle, always spends a couple seconds looking at his wrist band. I don't know what their process is, but is that something they could eliminate? I too hate seeing them seemingly bleeding the play clock to zero so often.

#2586 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 02:56 PM

https://www.espn.com...reply-fan-tweet

Good enough for me

• You Play to Win the Game likes this

#2587 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,472 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 02 December 2022 - 03:03 PM

https://www.espn.com...reply-fan-tweet

Good enough for me

Yep. He gets it. All good here.

#2588 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 03:27 PM

I know this isnt the popular take but the post the guy made was just ridiculous to tweet at Lamar after he just balled out and lost a heartbreaker. Nothing to apologize for IMO. I would advise him to get off twitter and not read the trolls crap though

#2589 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,767 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 03:31 PM

I know this isnt the popular take but the post the guy made was just ridiculous to tweet at Lamar after he just balled out and lost a heartbreaker. Nothing to apologize for IMO. I would advise him to get off twitter and not read the trolls crap though

If he'd have called the guy a POS or an asshole or a motherf***er I'd have zero problem with it.  I'd prefer he didn't, but don't mind him getting into a name-calling match on Twitter.  Its just the name he picked, gotta pick different words.  When you choose those words he did, you are doing something bigger than just insulting one person even if you didn't intend it.

I think his apology addresses that concept.  Its over.

• mweb08 likes this

#2590 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,197 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 04:02 PM

Yeah!!!!

Lamar apologized.

On to beating Denver.

#2591 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,556 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 02 December 2022 - 04:06 PM

To be fair, eat a d**k is the kind of thing you say in a basement poker game with your buddies, not on a public twitter account with a bajillion followers, lol.  There are a lot of things he could have said to express his displeasure for that without doing that.  Some of them are rather vulgar themselves, and it still would have gone over better.

I'm kind of whatever about the whole thing.  I think it's kind of challenging to be a prominent person in the social media, constant-spotlight-on-you landscape of today.  But it is what it is.

#2592 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,709 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 02 December 2022 - 04:22 PM

Stanley, Humphrey and Hamilton all listed as questionable.

@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#2593 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,213 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 04:26 PM

To be fair, eat a d**k is the kind of thing you say in a basement poker game with your buddies, not on a public twitter account with a bajillion followers, lol.  There are a lot of things he could have said to express his displeasure for that without doing that.  Some of them are rather vulgar themselves, and it still would have gone over better.

I'm kind of whatever about the whole thing.  I think it's kind of challenging to be a prominent person in the social media, constant-spotlight-on-you landscape of today.  But it is what it is.

Yeah, for the most part, what he tweeted had little to no impact on me.  I just shook my head at the immaturity of it.  It was like something Middle School kids would yell at each other.  By the smile on his face, I tend to think he thought it was somewhat funny after posting it but regretted the fallout.  Nothing new about that. 

#2594 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,391 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 04:45 PM

If he'd have called the guy a POS or an asshole or a motherf***er I'd have zero problem with it. I'd prefer he didn't, but don't mind him getting into a name-calling match on Twitter. Its just the name he picked, gotta pick different words. When you choose those words he did, you are doing something bigger than just insulting one person even if you didn't intend it.

I think his apology addresses that concept. Its over.

I know this might not be understood by everyone but that term is nowhere near being homophobic in this generation of youth. It's the equivalent of saying "kiss my ass" to us old folk. This has been discussed in other circles and it's completely understandable if everyone doesn't get it. Some things are just cultural or generational and there's nothing we can really do about it. The language was vulgar and unprofessional but not homophobic for a large segment of the population that Lamar happens to be in.
  • jamesdean and mdrunning like this

#2595 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,862 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 08:50 PM

I know this might not be understood by everyone but that term is nowhere near being homophobic is this generation of youth. It's the equivalent of saying "kiss my ass" to us old folk. This has been discussed in other circles and it's completely understandable if everyone doesn't get it. Some things are just cultural or generational and there's nothing we can really do about it. The language was vulgar and unprofessional but not homophobic for a large segment of population that Lamar happens to be in.

I agree. I'd bet at least half of millenial and gen Z'ers have said that to somebody on social media or a message board to someone. I remember when I was coming up a common insult to somebody was "suck my D***." Had nothing to do with anyone being gay. I miss the days when everyone wasn't offended by everything.

• Mike B, PrimeTime, Bmore Irish and 4 others like this

#2596 PrimeTime

PrimeTime

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,709 posts
  • LocationHampstead, MD

Posted 03 December 2022 - 11:13 AM

I'm all "Tweet-gated" out. On to some football....how are the Ravens going to attack a very good Broncos defense? I would like to see some RPOs to keep the defense guessing, which should open some easy throws at some point. Either way, I really need to see us cash in red zone opportunities and do so early, if possible.
  • russsnyder likes this
@primetime667083

"Just remember, whether you think you can, or you think you can't, you're right." -Stewie Griffin

#2597 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,197 posts

Posted 03 December 2022 - 03:19 PM

I think you are on point.

IIRC, the Broncos have one of the best pass defenses in the league. Grind it out and score some Red zone TDs. Ravens win this one. 17-13.

#2598 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,973 posts

Posted 03 December 2022 - 03:31 PM

It could  be a grind but I also kinda feel like the Ravens win one pretty comfortably. Something like 24-10 or 24-13

#2599 Ravens2006

Ravens2006

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 03 December 2022 - 06:04 PM

...I miss the days when everyone wasn't offended by everything.

Amen...
  • BaltBird 24 and bmore_ken like this

#2600 jamesdean

jamesdean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,213 posts

Posted 03 December 2022 - 06:50 PM

I agree. I'd bet at least half of millenial and gen Z'ers have said that to somebody on social media or a message board to someone. I remember when I was coming up a common insult to somebody was "suck my D***." Had nothing to do with anyone being gay. I miss the days when everyone wasn't offended by everything.

Can you imagine All in the Family or the Jeffersons on TV today?   :grin:

• PrimeTime likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=