HC Prospects

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
962 replies to this topic

#101 MikeinOwingsMills

MikeinOwingsMills
  • Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 10:37 AM

Something that I believe shouldn’t be underestimated: ideally, Maryland considers someone who’s familiar with being at academically strong schools, whether as a player or as a coach (or both). It’s not a big secret that admissions requirements there are quite stringent, and even athletes don’t get as much leeway as they might at other schools. So someone who knows how to recruit within those kinds of constraints and can get their guys into the university (and obviously, coach them up afterwards) is, I feel, pretty important.

Full disclosure: I was in the tank for Mike Montgomery the last time the job was open. He checked the boxes I mentioned earlier, big time. His Stanford teams were always fundamentally sound and played so selflessly and tough; they were really fun to watch at their peak in the late 90’s-early aughts.  Even though he was a career west coaster, I thought he’d have adjusted well to the area and would’ve stabilized the program.

Of course, he was never on Maryland’s radar, and he’s since long retired, but I wouldn’t mind finding a much younger version of him this time around. I have NO idea who that is, though.

So failing that, why not take a Southern Cal-esque haymaker at a shark? Put a feeler out to Jay Wright, whose rosters are always chock-full of DMV guys. Kick the tires on Chris Beard, using the UA connections. Go a “few” miles south and check in with Tony Bennett. (NTM these three are all at excellent academic schools, as well.)

Oats, Enfield, Willard et al…I mean, they’re nice coaches. Any would be a decent hire. But I just think Maryland’s better than even those candidates. It shouldn’t have to take a back seat to anyone or settle for whomever. This program is the epitome of a “sleeping giant”. With the right person in place…kaboom.

• BSLChrisStoner likes this

#102 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,125 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 10:44 AM

Thoughts on Willard ?? From anyone who watches Seton Hall.

#103 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 11:45 AM

Can we lure the Md Lady Terps coach over? :)

#104 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,481 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 December 2021 - 11:53 AM

Thoughts on Willard ?? From anyone who watches Seton Hall.

They play #7 Texas at 6:30 Thursday on FS1. Texas is legit this year though, so don’t be too hard on him. I’m going to watch. Also, USC plays Georgia Tech next weekend, and Okie St the following Tuesday (12/21). Cupcakes until those. I’ll be watching more and more of these games from prospective coaches. This is kind of fun.

#105 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,565 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 07 December 2021 - 12:35 PM

Something that I believe shouldn’t be underestimated: ideally, Maryland considers someone who’s familiar with being at academically strong schools, whether as a player or as a coach (or both). It’s not a big secret that admissions requirements there are quite stringent, and even athletes don’t get as much leeway as they might at other schools. So someone who knows how to recruit within those kinds of constraints and can get their guys into the university (and obviously, coach them up afterwards) is, I feel, pretty important.

Full disclosure: I was in the tank for Mike Montgomery the last time the job was open. He checked the boxes I mentioned earlier, big time. His Stanford teams were always fundamentally sound and played so selflessly and tough; they were really fun to watch at their peak in the late 90’s-early aughts.  Even though he was a career west coaster, I thought he’d have adjusted well to the area and would’ve stabilized the program.

Of course, he was never on Maryland’s radar, and he’s since long retired, but I wouldn’t mind finding a much younger version of him this time around. I have NO idea who that is, though.

So failing that, why not take a Southern Cal-esque haymaker at a shark? Put a feeler out to Jay Wright, whose rosters are always chock-full of DMV guys. Kick the tires on Chris Beard, using the UA connections. Go a “few” miles south and check in with Tony Bennett. (NTM these three are all at excellent academic schools, as well.)

Oats, Enfield, Willard et al…I mean, they’re nice coaches. Any would be a decent hire. But I just think Maryland’s better than even those candidates. It shouldn’t have to take a back seat to anyone or settle for whomever. This program is the epitome of a “sleeping giant”. With the right person in place…kaboom.

You think Maryland's too good for Oats and Enfield?  What in the world...  Maryland's a great job, but it's not that good...

For what it's worth USC has an equal or marginally better academic rep than Maryland.

• BSLZackKiesel likes this

#106 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 12:44 PM

You think Maryland's too good for Oats and Enfield?  What in the world...  Maryland's a great job, but it's not that good...

For what it's worth USC has an equal or marginally better academic rep than Maryland.

Md is a tier 2 school, no matter how you slice it.

#107 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 12:48 PM

Anyone remember when Gary was hired?  Did it matter to the administration and AD that he was an alum or was that just a nice quirk or possibly a reason why he would've considered the job in the first place when his resume was better than what Maryland deserved at the time?

I'm pretty sure it was the second one.  My memory is that everyone thought it was a great hire, that Williams did MD a huge favor by taking the job, and that if he hadn't been an alum he never would have even considered it.

I don't think MD set out to hire an alum, it was just that one of the hottest young coaches in the country happened to be one.

#108 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,346 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 07 December 2021 - 12:49 PM

Can we lure the Md Lady Terps coach over? :)

I’ve seen this bounced around as a half-joke in the last few days, but honestly I’d much rather them hire Brenda than a lot of the names towards the end of these lists.

It’ll never happen, but if they can’t get one of their top choices there’s no reason she shouldn’t get an interview. She’s a fantastic coach, leader, and recruiter.
@BSLZackKiesel

#109 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 12:53 PM

I’ve seen this bounced around as a half-joke in the last few days, but honestly I’d much rather them hire Brenda than a lot of the names towards the end of these lists.

It’ll never happen, but if they can’t get one of their top choices there’s no reason she shouldn’t get an interview. She’s a fantastic coach, leader, and recruiter.

Would she even want the job?

Right now, she is probably 1 of 3 of the top female coaches with a strong program.

How could you walk away and into the Men's program?

#110 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,827 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 12:58 PM

Would she even want the job?

Right now, she is probably 1 of 3 of the top female coaches with a strong program.

How could you walk away and into the Men's program?

Aside from the monumental glass ceiling she'd be shattering, the pay would be at least double and probably closer to 4X after all the extra benefits.

Freese makes $1.4M (base plus supplemental) before bonuses.  Turgeon's new extension was for $3.5M before bonuses.

#111 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,827 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 01:02 PM

It's a different sport though.  The men's and women's games are so different.  I would imagine that she can learn it, but how long of a learning curve do we want to go through and how fair would it be to judge someone absolutely new to men's basketball on the same curve we were grading Turgeon on where top-40 isn't good enough.

I'm not opposed to a woman as coach, but I'd prefer that woman to be a men's basketball coach and not a women's basketball coach.  I think they are different enough that the difference matters.  

• Mike B and Old Man like this

#112 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,565 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 01:08 PM

I'm pretty sure it was the second one.  My memory is that everyone thought it was a great hire, that Williams did MD a huge favor by taking the job, and that if he hadn't been an alum he never would have even considered it.

I don't think MD set out to hire an alum, it was just that one of the hottest young coaches in the country happened to be one.

Williams was on a podcast with Jeff Ermann yesterday and he straight up said that the only reason he left OSU was because it was Maryland, and he wouldn't have left for anywhere else.  Probably a bit of good fortune on Maryland's part in the wake of Bob Wade.

• Old Man likes this

#113 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,565 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 01:08 PM

Md is a tier 2 school, no matter how you slice it.

Yeah, we're not Kansas or Duke or UNC or Kentucky.  The tier below that is about right.  For sure a top ~25 job.

• Old Man likes this

#114 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 01:22 PM

Aside from the monumental glass ceiling she'd be shattering, the pay would be at least double and probably closer to 4X after all the extra benefits.

Freese makes $1.4M (base plus supplemental) before bonuses.  Turgeon's new extension was for $3.5M before bonuses.

very good point.

hadnt thought of it, in that mannter.

#115 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 01:24 PM

Yeah, we're not Kansas or Duke or UNC or Kentucky.  The tier below that is about right.  For sure a top ~25 job.

yeah, the tier 1, can recruit just based on name alone.

#116 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,125 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 01:31 PM

Oh stop

#117 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 07 December 2021 - 06:45 PM

There's a guy in Durham who's going to be free in a few months.. 

Seriously though, I'd go after Wes Miller, but I'm admittedly biased. 

I'd also give Brad Stevens a call just to see if interested in going back to the bench. 

@beginthebegin71

#118 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,481 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 07 December 2021 - 06:54 PM

There's a guy in Durham who's going to be free in a few months..

Seriously though, I'd go after Wes Miller, but I'm admittedly biased.

I'd also give Brad Stevens a call just to see if interested in going back to the bench.

Stevens would be the home run of home runs.

Miller is intriguing, nice.
  • SBTarheel likes this

#119 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,157 posts

Posted 07 December 2021 - 07:14 PM

Stevens wow. Talk about the dream. That would be amazing.

#120 SBTarheel

SBTarheel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,851 posts
  • LocationEldersburg, Md

Posted 07 December 2021 - 07:22 PM

Stevens wow. Talk about the dream. That would be amazing.

Worth at least a phone call I'd think. I'm guessing he's always dreamt of coaching in the Big Ten. 

He supposedly wasn't interested in the Indiana job last year, but maybe after a year in the front office, it's worth it to see if he's changed his mind. 

@beginthebegin71

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=