You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,464 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 December 2021 - 11:39 PM

If we hire Odom we'll never lose to the cavaliers, right? :D

I was kind of hoping in the post K era, we may be able to draw Duke in the ACC/B1G challenge eventually. Get someone who can beat Dook in an indeterminate date, one that may never happen, but that MUST be part of the interview process. 

#82 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,464 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 03 December 2021 - 11:42 PM

It is truly a great feeling to have some hope back with this program.
  • BobPhelan and Mike B like this

#83 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 04 December 2021 - 11:35 AM

It is truly a great feeling to have some hope back with this program.

Time will tell, but for the short term, I will settle for an exciting style of basketball.

@mikeghg

#84 BSLZackKiesel

BSLZackKiesel

Sr. Terps Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,335 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 04 December 2021 - 03:25 PM

Damon Evans confirms that Danny Manning will be a candidate for the job, per The Sun’s Ryan McFadden on Twitter: "Danny has an unbelievable opportunity to lead this program and should he choose to be he would absolutely be a candidate for us."
@BSLZackKiesel

#85 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,464 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 04 December 2021 - 03:27 PM

The right thing to say on December 4th. But no, he won’t be. The boosters didn’t pony up $5M to stick with Danny Manning.
  • BSLMikeLowe, Mackus and DuffMan like this

#86 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,708 posts

Posted 04 December 2021 - 03:30 PM

Don't see why that comment was necessary or would be perceived as being meaningful.  I don't think I've ever heard the authority come out and say that a recently named interim coach specifically would not be a candidate for the full time job.  In any sport at any level.

I think it would take a spectacular finish to this season and a unanimous rejection from all the primary external candidates for Manning to get the job.  By virtue of being the interim coach he will get consideration, but he's currently way down at the bottom of the list and it'll be very difficult for him to do anything over the remainder of this season that changes the sequencing.

#87 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 04 December 2021 - 03:35 PM

How much weight would y'all put into someone with experience on the east coast? Always wondered how Turge felt going from being in Kansas and a football school in Texas before going here. I'm talking myself into Kevin Willard at Seton Hall based on that.  

she/her

#88 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 04 December 2021 - 04:15 PM

I mean, if Manning coaches this team into the 2nd week of the tourney then he'd absolutely be a top contender for the job. But how likely is that?

#89 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts

Posted 04 December 2021 - 04:26 PM

How much weight would y'all put into someone with experience on the east coast? Always wondered how Turge felt going from being in Kansas and a football school in Texas before going here. I'm talking myself into Kevin Willard at Seton Hall based on that.

I think it's more of a consideration for the candidate than for the school. I think Willard is more likely to consider Maryland because NJ to DC is not as big a move for him. Will Enfield want want leave southern California? Will his beauty pageant wife? A bit tougher sell.

I think that atmosphere and geography is a pretty good reason why I could be convinced that Nate Oats might be interested in leaving Alabama. An even harder sell given that Alabama's athletic department can hand him a blank check, but not impossible.
  • Mackus likes this

#90 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,708 posts

Posted 04 December 2021 - 04:46 PM

None. Local ties is an interesting factoid and I think may help to pique the interest of higher end candidates (such as Enfield) who may not be as gung ho otherwise, but from the perspective of the search committee I wouldn't even consider it a definitive plus for anybody yet alone a requirement.

• hallas likes this

#91 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,708 posts

Posted 04 December 2021 - 04:47 PM

I mean, if Manning coaches this team into the 2nd week of the tourney then he'd absolutely be a top contender for the job. But how likely is that?

I don't think even a Sweet 16 appearance moves Manning to the top line.  It may move him onto the second tier where he's legitimately in the mix if none of the prime targets bite. 

#92 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts

Posted 04 December 2021 - 05:53 PM

I don't think even a Sweet 16 appearance moves Manning to the top line. It may move him onto the second tier where he's legitimately in the mix if none of the prime targets bite.

Does an E8 put him to the top? That would instantly make him more accomplished than Nate Oats in the tourney.

#93 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,708 posts

Posted 04 December 2021 - 06:56 PM

Does an E8 put him to the top? That would instantly make him more accomplished than Nate Oats in the tourney.

I don't think one game changes things dramatically, would have to view everything as a whole.  That's the same for Sweet 16 vs round 2 as well.  I don't wanna get tied down to any particular tournament outcome being what cements Manning as a candidate and especially not as the ultimate selection.  Completely hypothetically, if he goes 15-5 in the Big Ten and then loses in the 2nd round I don't think that's worse than going 10-10, somehow getting one of the final at large bids, and making a Sweet 16 run.

He'll have to have an excellent finish to this season to even have a shot.  What defines an excellent finish has many permutations, but probably has to have a really strong showings in at least two of three of the Big Ten regular season, Big Ten Tournament, and NCAA Tournament.

• BSLRoseKatz likes this

#94 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,406 posts

Posted 04 December 2021 - 07:12 PM

As of now it's hard to get over 5 of 6 years at Wake Forest being really bad. Now I admit I did not follow the ACC at all during that time so if there are mitigating factors I am unaware. But Manning would have to show a whole lot this year to overcome his resume, which is 1 good year out of 6 at WF, and 1 good year and 1 ok year at Tulsa. This is a case where personal connections and interviews might matter, but I'd rather go outside the program unless something crazy happens like a FF run or something.

I say this with the caveat that I was a diehard MD fan in the 90s and 00s but have barely paid attention since Gary left and today am a very casual MD+NCAA fan. 

#95 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,626 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 04 December 2021 - 10:41 PM

I guess if Maryland makes a miraculous run in the tourney, then Manning might get serious consideration but do we want another Kansas guy to replace Turgeon?

Now if Manning plays an up tempo, pressing and trapping game to generate offense, I might get interested. That said, let’s try for the home run.
@mikeghg

#96 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,553 posts

Posted 04 December 2021 - 11:51 PM

I guess if Maryland makes a miraculous run in the tourney, then Manning might get serious consideration but do we want another Kansas guy to replace Turgeon?

Now if Manning plays an up tempo, pressing and trapping game to generate offense, I might get interested. That said, let’s try for the home run.

Manning's Wake forest had a significantly higher tempo rate than turgeon's team the two years I checked. But I think this is academic because i dont think Manning is currently capable of doing what he needs to do with this squad.

#97 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,394 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 04 December 2021 - 11:55 PM

but do we want another Kansas guy to replace Turgeon.

I don’t care if they hire a little green man from Mars, as long as he can get better results. Manning isn’t that guy, but not simply because he played at Kansas.

• Mackus and BSLZackKiesel like this

#98 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 09:28 AM

Balt Sun: Who could replace Mark Turgeon at Maryland? Here are 16 possibilities for the Terps’ next coach.

#99 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 09:28 AM

ESPN+: Maryland basketball coaching search -- Who could replace Mark Turgeon with Terrapins?

https://www.espn.com...rgeon-terrapins

#100 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,027 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 09:29 AM

CBS Sports: Maryland coaching search: John Beilein, Andy Enfield, Mark Pope potential candidates to replace Mark Turgeon

https://www.cbssport...e-mark-turgeon/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=