188 replies to this topic

#81 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 26 August 2023 - 03:56 PM

Yeah Tanaka obviously never threw nearly as hard as Bautista.

#82 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,453 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 26 August 2023 - 04:03 PM

Sounds like best case scenario is it’s not a complete tear requiring surgery and he can be ready at the start of 2024. Might be wishful thinking though.

#83 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,202 posts

Posted 26 August 2023 - 04:09 PM

Here's hoping for the best scenario for Bautista.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#84 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 26 August 2023 - 04:14 PM

Yeah Tanaka obviously never threw nearly as hard as Bautista.

Neither did Tommy John. :wink:

#85 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,651 posts

Posted 26 August 2023 - 04:17 PM

Sounds like best case scenario is it’s not a complete tear requiring surgery and he can be ready at the start of 2024. Might be wishful thinking though.

There's no way he'd get TJS and be ready for next year. He'd likely not pitch at all next year as late as it is in the season.

#86 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,585 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 26 August 2023 - 04:47 PM

There's no way he'd get TJS and be ready for next year. He'd likely not pitch at all next year as late as it is in the season.

He’s saying hopefully it’s a partial tear and an offseason of rest is good enough to heal it properly.

#87 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,453 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 26 August 2023 - 04:52 PM

I’m saying best case is it’s not a full tear, hence TJS may not be necessary and he would just spend time in a cast while it heals. Obviously he would not pitch in 2024 if surgery is necessary.

#88 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 26 August 2023 - 04:58 PM

He’s saying hopefully it’s a partial tear and an offseason of rest is good enough to heal it properly.

No no no. Never works
  • BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#89 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 26 August 2023 - 05:00 PM

Im also more skeptical of it working with RP. Who are up and down warming a lot more often and make more appearances

#90 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,266 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 26 August 2023 - 05:29 PM

No no no. Never works

I am with you. just see it far too often that a player tries the rest and rehab approach only to end up having to have TJS anyway. Not saying it can't work but sure seems rare when this is the right approach.

#91 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 26 August 2023 - 06:00 PM

It seems like waiting makes sense given the timeline. If he has surgery he won't pitch next year anyway, so is there a huge difference between having surgery now or in two months? 

Worst case would probably be if they screw around with rehab and it doesn't work and he ends up having surgery in like April.

#92 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 26 August 2023 - 06:38 PM

It seems like waiting makes sense given the timeline. If he has surgery he won't pitch next year anyway, so is there a huge difference between having surgery now or in two months?

Worst case would probably be if they screw around with rehab and it doesn't work and he ends up having surgery in like April.

And thats what I would expect. Thats my fear. It all leaks into, and possible well into, the '25 season.

#93 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,266 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 26 August 2023 - 07:04 PM

Yeah the problem is how long do you need to rest and rehab before you determine that you do need surgery? I suspect its more than 2 months.

#94 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,562 posts

Posted 26 August 2023 - 07:52 PM

If he pitches before 2025 it’s a miracle.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#95 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 26 August 2023 - 08:18 PM

Obviously depends on severity and odds of recovering naturally, but I'd push for that method then make a call in January or February. It does feel like surgery recover rates are improving, but not sure if that's true, but even an improved rate isn't anywhere near 100%. Worth risking some months, especially off-season months, to try and avoid the knife if there is more than a scant chance that it works.
  • DuffMan likes this

#96 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 September 2023 - 12:25 PM

Maybe it is wishful thinking but the fact that Felix was not put on the 60-day IL, is if nothing else interesting.  Elias hates to DFA guys yet he did in this case.  Maybe the news is better than what we think on Felix.

• BobPhelan and Mackus like this
@mikeghg

#97 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,585 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 September 2023 - 01:25 PM

Maybe it is wishful thinking but the fact that Felix was not put on the 60-day IL, is if nothing else interesting. Elias hates to DFA guys yet he did in this case. Maybe the news is better than what we think on Felix.

He was also stretching while holding his glove yesterday. 🤷🏼‍♂️
  • Mike B likes this

#98 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 September 2023 - 01:31 PM

He was also stretching while holding his glove yesterday. ‍♂

I do not want to get to hopeful, but it certainly seems like Elias and the rest of the FO are holding out hope.

@mikeghg

#99 85Knight

85Knight

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,398 posts

Posted 03 September 2023 - 03:02 PM

I do not want to get to hopeful, but it certainly seems like Elias and the rest of the FO are holding out hope.

There's definitely something to how they are handling this. It's obviously not a complete tear given his activity with the team. We'll see where we're at when this IL period ends.
  • Mike B likes this

#100 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 September 2023 - 03:38 PM

There's definitely something to how they are handling this. It's obviously not a complete tear given his activity with the team. We'll see where we're at when this IL period ends.

I think if there is hope, it is for the last week or so of the season. Or even the playoffs.    There is nothing wrong with hoping for the best.

• 85Knight likes this
@mikeghg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=