188 replies to this topic

#61 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 15 June 2023 - 05:35 PM

Certainly a ton more margin for error on the offspeed stuff when your fastball is that fast and feels even faster with the height and extension and rise. He'll get away with a hanger far more often than basically everyone else in the game.

Yep. You have to really luck into it to time a pitch that is 15 mph slower than the previous ones you battled off. And your point about Bautista's size (shortening the distance to the plate) is a good one. 

#62 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 15 June 2023 - 05:40 PM

Yeah Bautista's size like Wells's size are a big help for both of them. But the size/extension combined with 101 is just nasty on hitters. I wonder how scouts would grade out Bautista's split just on the merits of the pitch alone. Avg a tick above??

#63 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,585 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 15 June 2023 - 05:46 PM

Yeah Bautista's size like Wells's size are a big help for both of them. But the size/extension combined with 101 is just nasty on hitters. I wonder how scouts would grade out Bautista's split just on the merits of the pitch alone. Avg a tick above??

No, its still elite. 161 stuff+, behind only Aroldis Chapman and Matt Barnes if you set the minimum to 10 innings pitched.

#64 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 15 June 2023 - 05:49 PM

No, its still elite. 161 stuff+, behind only Aroldis Chapman and Matt Barnes if you set the minimum to 10 innings pitched.

I dont know how they factor stuff+. Not sure I buy it though. His best of the best may be nasty but if you arent consistent with it you cant give it a high grade. Maybe a prospect or even an established player you could up their FV grade on it. Not the current grade.

#65 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,585 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 15 June 2023 - 06:02 PM

I dont know how they factor stuff+. Not sure I buy it though. His best of the best may be nasty but if you arent consistent with it you cant give it a high grade. Maybe a prospect or even an established player you could up their FV grade on it. Not the current grade.

From statcast data, it covers everything. Straight changeups are the only pitches that are shaky.
  • makoman likes this

#66 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 15 June 2023 - 06:04 PM

Are you saying he should be more like 0.50 ERA and 24 K/9? I'm being a little facetious, and yes I know he lacked control for a bit during the beginning/mid of this season, but he's doing pretty good for someone who doesn't even have high grade stuff.

#67 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 15 June 2023 - 06:13 PM

Im talking the pure grade of the split apart from the value it gets playing off of 101. Imo he doesnt execute it well enough often enough to give it some great grade. There is a reason hes ramped up the fastball usage of late. Even in split counts. Ultimately all that matters is how it plays in game. Obviously that isnt a problem

#68 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,585 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 15 June 2023 - 06:20 PM

Im talking the pure grade of the split apart from the value it gets playing off of 101. Imo he doesnt execute it well enough often enough to give it some great grade. There is a reason hes ramped up the fastball usage of late. Even in split counts. Ultimately all that matters is how it plays in game. Obviously that isnt a problem

The stuff+ grade doesn’t take any other pitches into account.

#69 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 15 June 2023 - 06:23 PM

I respect what its trying to do but for me hes not consistent enough with it to give it an elite scout grade 20-80. I mean Hall apparently has incredible stuff+ as well right? It doesnt play that way.

#70 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 15 June 2023 - 06:36 PM

I respect what its trying to do but for me hes not consistent enough with it to give it an elite scout grade 20-80. I mean Hall apparently has incredible stuff+ as well right? It doesnt play that way.

Would it help you that there is also location+? To me that is what he is lacking moreso than stuff this year, and in fact is at 94, worst on the team. But the stuff is good enough it doesn't matter. Combine them for pitching+, and he is best on the team, which one would expect given the results and how good the stuff is.

https://library.fang...itching-primer/

• BobPhelan likes this

#71 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 15 June 2023 - 06:50 PM

Its obvious his overall effectiveness and arsenal is nasty. I guess all Im saying is for me the fastball is what makes everything go. Which is a pretty obvious statment. And yes I agree the control/command can be his biggest issue. When he was reall shaky for that 2ish week stint it was because he couldnt throw the fastball or anything else with consistency near the plate. Let alone for actual strikes.

#72 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 18 June 2023 - 03:28 PM

Felix is making it look very easy right now.  Today's 1-2-3 inning was over quickly.  I think the recent rest has done both him and Cano a lot of good.  Baker seems refreshed too.

• BobPhelan and BSLSteveBirrer like this
@mikeghg

#73 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,152 posts

Posted 26 August 2023 - 02:59 PM

Danny Coulombe and Yennier Cano both mentioned how Felix Bautista seemed in good spirits last night. Felt fine. But update coming later. No roster move announced yet #orioles

#74 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 August 2023 - 03:23 PM

It’s the UCL. No timetable given.

https://x.com/masnro...60M8ZOe1IyiordQ

#75 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 August 2023 - 03:27 PM

ZO2NYZ6.jpg

#76 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,651 posts

Posted 26 August 2023 - 03:35 PM

Not good.

#77 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,266 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 26 August 2023 - 03:36 PM

"Some degree" is just euphanism for out for a long time.

• BaltBird 24 likes this

#78 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,651 posts

Posted 26 August 2023 - 03:37 PM

Is a UCL ever not usually TJS?

#79 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 26 August 2023 - 03:49 PM

Is a UCL ever not usually TJS?

Masahiro Tanaka had a partially torn UCL in 2014 and went on to throw about a thousand innings for the Yankees into 2020. He's been in Japan (Rakuten) the past three seasons where he's thrown around 400 innings. As far as I can tell, he never got the surgery. Just rehabbed the partial tear and he's been pitching ever since. 

#80 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 26 August 2023 - 03:53 PM

Stiill effectively ends his '23 season. You see a lot of dudes not opt for surgery initially but still end up needing it eventually.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=