1235 replies to this topic

#161 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,448 posts

Posted 17 December 2021 - 07:23 PM

I think if someone separates they'll go that way regardless of their position/level.  If it's a pitcher or a HS bat who costs full slot, so be it.

But I do think it's a reasonably safe assumption to think that they'd prefer a college bat who'll take less than slot. So if they don't think there is a big difference among a few guys, the one who checks those boxes will have the edge.

I think that's their preference yeah. But it'd be pretty devastating if you were sitting 1-1 in 2010 and got Christian Colon with Harper and Manny available (I don't consider Harper a college bat), regardless of what better name it got you in round 4. I'm sure there are a million similar examples and counter examples.

I will say that I have been fine with the strategy of the last two drafts, but I think 1-1 is a different beast than even 1-2 since the first pick is historically so much better than any other, I'd rather they not mess around and I hope someone separates himself by next summer.

• You Play to Win the Game and Greg Pappas like this

#162 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,083 posts

Posted 17 December 2021 - 07:25 PM

Assuming someone separates, absolutely agree.

#163 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,782 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 19 December 2021 - 12:48 AM

Anyone remember the name dude dropped with his invisible pen?

I do.  Although I have NO IDEA who they will pick.  But yeah, that guy.

It's comical you're trying to call me out above when I'm the only one to put my hat in the ring.

#164 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,435 posts

Posted 19 December 2021 - 02:13 AM

I do. Although I have NO IDEA who they will pick. But yeah, that guy.

It's comical you're trying to call me out above when I'm the only one to put my hat in the ring.

Because you just called out a dude for putting his hat in the ring

#165 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,782 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 19 December 2021 - 10:50 AM

Invite Callis and anyone else to the quad.  Pick the amount.  I get college bat.

#166 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,367 posts

Posted 20 January 2022 - 09:49 AM

Balt Sun: As Orioles begin prep for another top draft pick, success of recent selections offer proof of philosophy

#167 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,268 posts

Posted 20 January 2022 - 04:59 PM

Still very early, but going on what's out there now I think the O's will either go for ceiling with Andruw Jones or safe with Brooks Lee.    Jones is going to be the more dynamic defensive player with maybe more offensive upside.   Lee is probably a 2B or 3B but he's already hit in college and with a wood bat on the cape, plus he switch hits.  Lee might be easier to leverage into bigger savings on the underslot as I'm guessing he is the more likely of the two to slide a bit plus Jones, as the HS kid, has more leverage than the college junior.

Something to remember.  It was rumored that the Orioles wanted to take Jud Fabian last year before the Red Sox took him in the 2nd round.  Hes a well rounded, RH hitting/LH throwing CF, with swing and miss issues.   I wouldn't be surprised to see the O's pop him with one of their early picks.

#168 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,435 posts

Posted 20 January 2022 - 05:13 PM

Long way to go as the tale of Fabian is a reminder of that. Right now Id go with Jones. Lee is pretty meh for me as a 1:1 for now

#169 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,268 posts

Posted 20 January 2022 - 05:18 PM

Long way to go as the tale of Fabian is a reminder of that. Right now Id go with Jones. Lee is pretty meh for me as a 1:1 for now

I agree on Lee being a meh pick but that doesn't mean he would be a bad pick, especially if they leveraged it into some Mayo/Baumler types later on.   I've watched video of him and he's certainly not exciting.  I would probably enjoy a Jones pick a lot more as well.

#170 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 06 February 2022 - 11:14 PM

I'd like Elijah Green or Drew Jones. Termarr Johnson would be okay, though they better REALLY be sure with his height and position being what it is.

I think they'll take whatever college bat has that magical Elias combo of safe and underslot.

#171 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,624 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 07 February 2022 - 11:00 AM

I'd like Elijah Green or Drew Jones. Termarr Johnson would be okay, though they better REALLY be sure with his height and position being what it is.

I think they'll take whatever college bat has that magical Elias combo of safe and underslot.

Johnson could be 5 foot flat and a DH, if his hit tool is as good as Ben Badler told us (possible 70 hit, 70 power) then he’s who I want.

#172 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,435 posts

Posted 07 February 2022 - 11:04 AM

Theyre overhyping this kid. Sure if its that great of a hit/power tool its hard pass but to be quite frank there is just no way. At his size and projected size he doesn't have 70 power ability.

#173 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 07 February 2022 - 01:47 PM

The only person who comes to mind who might be that tall with a 70 power grade is Mookie Betts.

#174 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,435 posts

Posted 07 February 2022 - 02:24 PM

Nope Betts might be 60. 70 would be a consistent 35ish HR seasons

#175 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,268 posts

Posted 07 February 2022 - 03:23 PM

Theyre overhyping this kid. Sure if its that great of a hit/power tool its hard pass but to be quite frank there is just no way. At his size and projected size he doesn't have 70 power ability.

With the disclaimer, that "I'm no scout", I've watched numerous video of Tamarr Johnson and he's got a nice swing and launches balls in batting practice and looks great when he gets hold of one in a game BUT I've seen showcase video and the Philly scout team video and he looks pretty human to me.   Seen swing and miss and watched Brock Porter blow him away.  I'm not saying he he isn't an excellent prospect but I think his hit tool is a bit of hyperbole.    I'm not so sure he's surefire .300 hitter with 20+ homerun power.    I remember Howie Kendrick blowing through the minors as a .330 hitter at every level and being pretty pedestrian (good but not great) at the ML level.   I've become skeptical of Johnson.   If you watch the Philly Scout team, it's actually Green who is the star of the team.  I'm not super impressed with any of the bats of the so called super three HS players.   I might be leaning for one of the college bats at this point although Lesko is the player/pitcher I find most impressive when watching video.

• TwentyThirtyFive likes this

#176 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,435 posts

Posted 07 February 2022 - 03:30 PM

Lesko def is impressive but just cant see us going HS pitcher 1-1. Still on Jones personally right now if the defense is what they say it is. Trust the player development to refine the bat

#177 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 07 February 2022 - 06:03 PM

Unless they totally shift gears they're not taking a pitcher, especially a high school one.

#178 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 07 February 2022 - 06:06 PM

I'm honestly preparing myself for the most lackluster, boring-yet-defensible pick to be taken 1-1 so they can save on someone three rounds later.

#179 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,367 posts

Posted 12 February 2022 - 04:26 PM

CBS Sports: MLB draft prospects 2022: Ranking top 50 players in the class, with Termarr Johnson at No. 1

https://www.cbssport...ohnson-at-no-1/

#180 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,083 posts

Posted 12 February 2022 - 04:31 PM

CBS Sports: MLB draft prospects 2022: Ranking top 50 players in the class, with Termarr Johnson at No. 1

https://www.cbssport...ohnson-at-no-1/

Do you know if CBS had a list at the end of last season?  

Are there any winter showcases or anything for HS or college guys to do something to cause their stock to go up or down since October?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=