1235 replies to this topic

#1181 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 18 July 2022 - 09:03 PM

Bob, I love that you have Top 100 list.  Very impressive.

• BobPhelan likes this

#1182 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 July 2022 - 01:12 PM

To start the third day of the draft, we just took Zach Showalter, a HS RHP from Florida.  No mention of any relation to Buck.  Perfect Game isted him as the #81 overall best prospect.  Nice pick.

https://www.perfectg....aspx?ID=545455

Zachary Showalter is a 2022 OF/RHP with a 6-2 195 lb. frame from Wesley Chapel, FL who attends Wesley Chapel. Large, athletic frame with present physical strength proportioned nicely throughout, has some additional room to fill. Primary outfielder, deliberate footwork on the approach to ball and will continue to fine, fields the ball out front, big arm strength with real carry to the intended base, ball jumps out of hand. Graded out the highest on the mound in this look; operates exclusively out of the stretch, solid two-way potential. Works quickly and filled the strike zone, shows arm speed through the backside, ball comes out well and worked in the 92-94 mph range with fastball, some effort at release, shows life to arm side with sink. Good biting life to the slider up to 80 with 10-4 shape, can get the pitch under the hands of left-handed hitters. Right-handed hitter, begins with a wide base and a high hand set and back elbow at the plate. Aggressive approach, looks to implement physical strength into swing and shows carry and jump to pull side. Generates leverage in path, repeats plane and swing path through the zone, best contact to left field. Very good student. Verbal commitment to South Florida.

• Mackus and Mike B like this

#1183 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts

Posted 19 July 2022 - 01:17 PM

To start the third day of the draft, we just took Zach Showalter, a HS RHP from Florida. No mention of any relation to Buck. Perfect Game isted him as the #81 overall best prospect. Nice pick.

Gotta be an over slot pick, yes?

He's unrated by Mlb.com. I feel like they're using rankings from January.
  • Greg Pappas likes this

#1184 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,782 posts

Posted 19 July 2022 - 01:24 PM

Perfect Game isted him as the #81 overall best prospect.  Nice pick.

Just for clarity, perfect game is ranking only the HS prospects.  So no college or JuCo guys in this list.

And just to show how much different sources can vary, the two guys that Perfect Game ranks on either side of Showalter are #80 David Lally and #82 Max Martin.  MLB ranks Lally #152 and Martin #122.  Prospectslive (just a random place I found online that I liked because it had a deep list, not vouching for it) has Lally #327 and Martin #60.

• Greg Pappas likes this

#1185 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 19 July 2022 - 01:26 PM

To start the third day of the draft, we just took Zach Showalter, a HS RHP from Florida.  No mention of any relation to Buck.  Perfect Game isted him as the #81 overall best prospect.  Nice pick.

An over slot guy, I guess.  Let's see if they can convince him not to go to college.

@mikeghg

#1186 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts

Posted 19 July 2022 - 01:26 PM

Just for clarity, perfect game is ranking only the HS prospects. So no college or JuCo guys in this list.

And just to show how much different sources can vary, the two guys that Perfect Game ranks on either side of Showalter are #80 David Lally and #82 Max Martin. MLB ranks Lally #152 and Martin #122. Prospectslive (just a random place I found online that I liked because it had a deep list, not vouching for it) has Lally #327 and Martin #60.

Seems like rankings for high school guys in particular are utter crapshoots. This is when you just have to assume they saw something they liked and go with it.

#1187 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,782 posts

Posted 19 July 2022 - 01:36 PM

The top-rated guys from this link that are still available.  Gotta image these guys are all going to college, but would be interesting if the O's think they have enough bonus pool left to convince one to sign.  Will be somewhat disappointing if they end up at 98-99% (of 105% available) without drafting someone like this late and at least trying to throw enough money at them.

RHP Andrew Dutkanych (MLB #41)

OF Gavin Turley (#107) - drafted in 19th by Diamondbacks

OF Paxton Kling (#104)

LHP Levi Huesman (#125) - drafted in 17th by Dodgers

RHP Chase Shores (#129)

LHP Tristan Smith (#46)

C Malcolm Moore (#57)

C Brady Neal (#74) - drafted in 17th by Brewers

#1188 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,782 posts

Posted 19 July 2022 - 03:36 PM

Andrew Walters is a college guy, not HS, but may be a potential bigger bonus guy late.  Ranked #130 by MLB.com, relief pitcher from Miami.

#1189 Greg Pappas

Greg Pappas

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,514 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 19 July 2022 - 05:18 PM

Now that the draft has completed, anyone have any thoughts on how we did?
(Credit to Camden Chat for the list.)

Round 1, #1: Jackson Holliday - SS - Stillwater HS (Oklahoma)

Comp A, #33: Dylan Beavers - OF - University of California

Round 2, #42: Max Wagner - 3B - Clemson

Comp B, #67: Jud Fabian - OF - University of Florida

Round 3, #81: Nolan McLean - RHP(/3B?) - Oklahoma State

Round 4, #107: Silas Ardoin - C - University of Texas

Round 5, #137: Trace Bright - RHP - Auburn

Round 6, #167: Douglas Hodo III - OF - University of Texas

Round 7, #197: Preston Johnson - RHP - Mississippi State

Round 8, #227: Cameron Weston - RHP - University of Michigan

Round 9, #257: Adam Crampton - SS - Stanford

Round 10, #287: Wyatt Cheney - RHP - McClennan CC (Texas)

Round 11, #317: Zack Showalter - RHP - Wesley Chapel HS (Florida)

Round 12, #347: Bradley Brehmer - RHP - Indiana University

Round 13, #377: Jared Beck - LHP - Saint Leo University

Round 14, #407: Adam Retzbach - C - Lehigh University

Round 15, #437: James Hicks Jr. - RHP - University of South Carolina

Round 16, #467: Graham Firoved - RHP - Virginia Tech

Round 17, #497: Carter Young - SS - Vanderbilt

Round 18, #527: Andrew Walters - RHP - University of Miami

Round 19, #557: Alden Mathes Jr. - OF - University of Richmond

Round 20, #587: Reese Sharp - RHP - Indiana University

#1190 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,023 posts

Posted 19 July 2022 - 05:20 PM

Andrew Walters is a college guy, not HS, but may be a potential bigger bonus guy late.  Ranked #130 by MLB.com, relief pitcher from Miami.

Def an overslot. Probably significant overslot. Showalter as well

#1191 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,023 posts

Posted 19 July 2022 - 05:22 PM

12 of the 22 are pitchers. I havent seen any scouting reports yet on any of the guys we drafted today but I like what we did the first 2 days

#1192 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,023 posts

Posted 19 July 2022 - 05:38 PM

Young could be a tough sign too. Just saw something on twitter that he could easily choose to go back and try to raise his stock. Was once highly regarded

#1193 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,258 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 19 July 2022 - 05:40 PM

I am liking #1. And the other first several picks look good too. No idea on those farther down the list but from what I have seen from this front office they know what they are doing.

• Mike B likes this

#1194 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,430 posts

Posted 19 July 2022 - 05:45 PM

Saw Ciolek said something like, the goal is to sign everyone, but he’s not as optimistic as he was in years past.

#1195 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 19 July 2022 - 05:52 PM

Would’ve preferred Peyton Graham second but the hell do I know? They’ve earned a ton of latitude.

@fuzydunlop

#1196 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 19 July 2022 - 05:58 PM

Would’ve preferred Peyton Graham second but the hell do I know? They’ve earned a ton of latitude.

Eric Longenhagen mentioned potential character issues with him during his chat on draft night. I know the Orioles take how guys will fit into the environment they want to create very seriously.

• McNulty likes this

#1197 McNulty

McNulty

la cerveza está muy fría

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,670 posts
  • LocationBS

Posted 19 July 2022 - 06:06 PM

orly I was not aware of that. Again I’m just an idiot that watches a lot of college ball.
  • JeremyStrain likes this

@fuzydunlop

#1198 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts

Posted 19 July 2022 - 07:20 PM

My big takeaway is that these teams internal rankings and the rankings published by analysts differ greatly, probably more than in any other sport.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#1199 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,583 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 19 July 2022 - 07:24 PM

My big takeaway is that these teams internal rankings and the rankings published by analysts differ greatly, probably more than in any other sport.

Plus each team has their own metrics and pitching styles that their looking for.

#1200 Slidemaster

Slidemaster

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,011 posts

Posted 19 July 2022 - 07:26 PM

Plus each team has their own metrics and pitching styles that their looking for.

I can't imagine that analysts are able to make as deep a dive into each player's player profile the way the teams are. If I had to guess which has the better read on talent and trajectory, I'm going with the teams all day, especially as it pertains to less high profile guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=