#61 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 November 2021 - 07:55 AM

Sammy with another strong night as the Caps blank the Sharks 4-0. Ovi with another 3 point evening, 2 goals and an assist. Sheary had the other 2 goals.

#62 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 21 November 2021 - 10:38 PM

Philipp Grubauer holding the Caps in check in their first visit to Seattle. VV has allowed 4 goals, 3 in the 2nd period. Caps trailing the Kraken 4-1.

#63 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,741 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 30 November 2021 - 08:41 AM

Caps are really playing well and to be doing that despite having so many key guys out with injury is even more impressive.

• Dupin likes this

#64 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 November 2021 - 08:42 AM

Caps are really playing well and to be doing that despite having so many key guys out with injury is even more impressive.

Samsonov included now. He’s really turned it on after a rough start.
  • DuffMan likes this

#65 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 07:21 PM

2 goals in 11 seconds against the Panthers. 

@BSLMikeRandall

#66 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 30 November 2021 - 09:53 PM

Blew a 4-1 3rd period lead. Lose 5-4. That's disappointing. 

One of the 4 short handed. 2 PP. The GW with 15 seconds left. Ugh.

@BSLMikeRandall

#67 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 November 2021 - 09:56 PM

Blew a 4-1 3rd period lead. Lose 5-4. That's disappointing.

One of the 4 short handed. 2 PP. The GW with 15 seconds left. Ugh.

Sammy was due for his stinker. That was a meltdown. Kids still a head case.

#68 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 06:46 AM

Took Ovi 79 games to get from 700 to 750 goals. Took Gretzky 112 games.
  • JeremyStrain and DuffMan like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#69 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 05 December 2021 - 10:28 AM

Sammy was due for his stinker. That was a meltdown. Kids still a head case.

highs and lows with that one. Going to have some duds and shutouts. VV is going to consistently give you 2-3 goals a game every game, but Sammy could win 1-0 or lose 5-4 just as easy. I don't envy Lavy getting to make that call every night.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#70 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 10:36 AM

Took Ovi 79 games to get from 700 to 750 goals. Took Gretzky 112 games.

Gretz I feel like was really front loaded with his, not as consistent as Ovi has been. He put up record points in his Edmonton days, but when he got to LA and the NYR it was very different. Still great numbers in LA, but nothing like the 92 goals he scored in a year in the Dynasty Days. His last 150 (roughly the difference between him and Ovi right now) were a GRIND and took him 8 years. A lot of it is going to come down to health, but from right now, all he's gotta do is put up 30/yr for 5 years. I think he's got another 50 year in his pocket too, but we will see.

• Mike in STL likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#71 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,021 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 11:33 AM

Gretz I feel like was really front loaded with his, not as consistent as Ovi has been. He put up record points in his Edmonton days, but when he got to LA and the NYR it was very different. Still great numbers in LA, but nothing like the 92 goals he scored in a year in the Dynasty Days. His last 150 (roughly the difference between him and Ovi right now) were a GRIND and took him 8 years. A lot of it is going to come down to health, but from right now, all he's gotta do is put up 30/yr for 5 years. I think he's got another 50 year in his pocket too, but we will see.

Didnt they change rules, maybe even dimensions of the rink or size of net, in the late 80s that brought down the scoring. Gretzky was a beast but definitely more of an all around or passing talent than straight scorer.

#72 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 December 2021 - 11:40 AM

Gotta absolutely love what we’ve seen this year so far right Jeremy? My outlook has completely changed.

#73 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 December 2021 - 11:41 AM

From a goal scoring perspective, I always loved watching Mario Lemieux growing up, not as much Gretzky.

#74 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 07:50 PM

Didnt they change rules, maybe even dimensions of the rink or size of net, in the late 80s that brought down the scoring. Gretzky was a beast but definitely more of an all around or passing talent than straight scorer.

They’ve tweaked things a few times. Changing goalies pad sizes, stuff like that. Most of it I think was Edmonton to LA. Edmonton was a team unlike any of us have seen since we were 5 or so. I tried to come up with an all star team that would be comparable and can’t even do it justice.

I mean 92 goals and over 200 points. It’s just unthinkable today. I think goalies growing up more developed and skilled has had something to do with it too. Just a different style compared to the 80s. The goalies have to be elite athletes these days too.
@JeremyMStrain

#75 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 05 December 2021 - 07:52 PM

Gotta absolutely love what we’ve seen this year so far right Jeremy? My outlook has completely changed.

I mean I’m still trying to stay tempered but everything has been about as good as you could hope. You know my big complaint for years has been not mixing in more youth and with all the injuries they have done a great job of that.
@JeremyMStrain

#76 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,741 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 06 December 2021 - 08:23 AM

Still waiting on #19 to return

#77 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,741 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 15 December 2021 - 10:18 PM

Still waiting on #19 to return

And he's back!

#78 SouthRider

SouthRider

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 726 posts

Posted 22 December 2021 - 01:02 PM

Caps seem to be struggling of late.  They can't put teams away and are going to OT way too often against lesser opponents.  

On another note, it was great to see the local kid, Joe Snively, make his Caps debut.   I had my kids in local hockey for two years.  I couldn't believe how good some of these kids in Northern Va are.  Ovechkin effect for sure, although for a lot of these kids it's not cool to root for the home team. 

#79 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 22 December 2021 - 03:24 PM

Caps seem to be struggling of late.  They can't put teams away and are going to OT way too often against lesser opponents.  

On another note, it was great to see the local kid, Joe Snively, make his Caps debut.   I had my kids in local hockey for two years.  I couldn't believe how good some of these kids in Northern Va are.  Ovechkin effect for sure, although for a lot of these kids it's not cool to root for the home team. 

Mostly just depleted roster. They've been playing a Hershey lineup out there for the past couple weeks really. I was hoping they were going to get shut down a while ago before the whole league did, cause it wasn't fair playing our AHL team against NHL teams.

@JeremyMStrain

#80 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,477 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 10 January 2022 - 10:58 PM

Lead the league in 2 goal leads being erased. Not good. Good time for 4 days off. They need to regroup. Also, they have back-to-back games Saturday and Sunday. With 3 goaltenders now on the roster, and them all being fresh come Saturday, it’ll be interesting to see which 2 grab the starts this weekend.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=