#82 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,343 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 18 January 2022 - 09:39 PM

Just can’t hold any leads. Rough start to 2022.

#83 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 19 January 2022 - 11:25 AM

Just can’t hold any leads. Rough start to 2022.

Yeah, real up and down right now. I am choosing to look at this as their down period, they have them every year, and it's a good time to be down, we want them to heat up for the playoffs and not the other way around.

This season has been tough with so many players in and out of the lineup. Being without Oshie and Mantha right now is also kinda messing with things, but especially on D where we aren't as deep, when someone is out, it's a big impact.

Getting all these young guys playing time will help with that overall, they'll be more ready to contribute and keep the depth going...but still going to have rookie ups and downs.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#84 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,343 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 January 2022 - 09:15 PM

Vanecek stinks too.

#85 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,695 posts

Posted 22 January 2022 - 09:04 AM

Jasper's Rink: Rink Roundtable  Caps at the Half

https://www.japersri...als-at-the-half

#86 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,343 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 22 January 2022 - 09:22 PM

Ovechkin is just amazing to watch. Never gets old. Even as he does.
  • DuffMan likes this

#87 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,343 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 January 2022 - 09:49 PM

Caps are 3-6-1 in their last 10. No signs of snapping out of it. Lava is going to end up finding himself on the hot seat if this doesn’t turn around soon.

#88 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 27 January 2022 - 10:52 AM

Caps are 3-6-1 in their last 10. No signs of snapping out of it. Lava is going to end up finding himself on the hot seat if this doesn’t turn around soon.

There's going to be a stretch or two like this during the season. It's not a bad time for it at the midway point and before the deadline. I think the more important things to look at are why is the offense struggling right now, and are the goalies going to be enough in the playoffs?

The whispers of them looking for a top 6 forward and a goalie on the trade market are out there for a reason. They were sniffing hard on Marc Andre Fleury, which i had issues with, then someone asked him yesterday and he was like I don't know if I'd be comfortable there, I'm still a Penguin in my head. Same issue, so I respect him admitting it.

Heard they looked into Evander Kane, who is the biggest trainwreck in the league, hopefully they dodge that one. One I DID find interesting though is Patrick Laine from Columbus. His rookie year he was neck and neck with Ovi and scored like 44 goals, since then has fallen off, and hasn't been able to find it again. I think it's a matter of he can't be the focal point of the offense, and would then make him a dangerous fit behind Ovi on the 2nd line LW. Mantha is out there recovering and should help the offense problem too. If they get a top 6 guy I worry it's going to stretch that 3rd line into another scoring line. Ovi-Kuzy-Wilson and say Laine-Backstrom-Oshie are 1 and 2, then you push Mantha down to 3 with Eller and Sheary/Hathaway maybe? Pushes McMichael down to 4th line minutes. One of those moves that could hurt as much as it could help. I'm not sure if a new player is the answer or not. If you make a move for the future, not just a rental and someone moves out maybe it makes sense, which is why I'm intrigued by Laine, but I'm not sold.

In goal I dunno, I feel like what they are going to get is going to be similar to what we have. I KIND of want them to cash in on Sammy's potential and deal him in a BIG deal for someone, get a more traditional backup, or a veteran coming on FA for a cup run, and have enough value to get something else back for the future too.

Claude Giroux is an interesting name thrown out there. Looking for one last run at a cup. Has experience playing for Lavi. Him playing next to Ovi is absolutely terrifying, especially with like Wilson. That'd be the most physical scoring line in the league by a mile.

@JeremyMStrain

#89 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 27 January 2022 - 10:58 AM

Ovechkin is just amazing to watch. Never gets old. Even as he does.

to me, he is one of those, like Manny to MLB, that does things, you wont see from others.

#90 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,343 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 27 January 2022 - 11:12 AM

There's going to be a stretch or two like this during the season. It's not a bad time for it at the midway point and before the deadline. I think the more important things to look at are why is the offense struggling right now, and are the goalies going to be enough in the playoffs?

The whispers of them looking for a top 6 forward and a goalie on the trade market are out there for a reason. They were sniffing hard on Marc Andre Fleury, which i had issues with, then someone asked him yesterday and he was like I don't know if I'd be comfortable there, I'm still a Penguin in my head. Same issue, so I respect him admitting it.

Heard they looked into Evander Kane, who is the biggest trainwreck in the league, hopefully they dodge that one. One I DID find interesting though is Patrick Laine from Columbus. His rookie year he was neck and neck with Ovi and scored like 44 goals, since then has fallen off, and hasn't been able to find it again. I think it's a matter of he can't be the focal point of the offense, and would then make him a dangerous fit behind Ovi on the 2nd line LW. Mantha is out there recovering and should help the offense problem too. If they get a top 6 guy I worry it's going to stretch that 3rd line into another scoring line. Ovi-Kuzy-Wilson and say Laine-Backstrom-Oshie are 1 and 2, then you push Mantha down to 3 with Eller and Sheary/Hathaway maybe? Pushes McMichael down to 4th line minutes. One of those moves that could hurt as much as it could help. I'm not sure if a new player is the answer or not. If you make a move for the future, not just a rental and someone moves out maybe it makes sense, which is why I'm intrigued by Laine, but I'm not sold.

In goal I dunno, I feel like what they are going to get is going to be similar to what we have. I KIND of want them to cash in on Sammy's potential and deal him in a BIG deal for someone, get a more traditional backup, or a veteran coming on FA for a cup run, and have enough value to get something else back for the future too.

Claude Giroux is an interesting name thrown out there. Looking for one last run at a cup. Has experience playing for Lavi. Him playing next to Ovi is absolutely terrifying, especially with like Wilson. That'd be the most physical scoring line in the league by a mile.

Could our big trade this season be rescuing Trotz from NY and legitimately going after another Cup? Lavs isn’t the right fit here.

They started this slide at a similar time last season, recovered slightly before the playoffs before ultimately bowing out with no fight.

I miss Trotz.

And yes I know it’s never happening.

#91 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 27 January 2022 - 11:32 AM

Could our big trade this season be rescuing Trotz from NY and legitimately going after another Cup? Lavs isn’t the right fit here.

They started this slide at a similar time last season, recovered slightly before the playoffs before ultimately bowing out with no fight.

I miss Trotz.

And yes I know it’s never happening.

Haha. We both said he wasn't going to be a fit here from day 1. That's the problem you run when your criteria for a coach is an experienced, veteran guy with playoff experience, you lock yourself into a few candidates, and you can't change your roster to fit him without retooling/rebuilding so it's a fit that never quite works. 3 of the last 6 cup finalist coaches were all interim at the time...so there's hope. You never really know what's going to work, but with all the Hershey players on our roster, I'm tempted to give it to Carbery. He's one of the up and coming guys, and he's on NHL radar's already.

Kirk Muller is a guy I'd consider. He'd have been the guy in Montreal but he doesn't speak French so they won't give it to him. Patrick Roy wants another shot, but I worry he'd be too conservative for this team being a goalie and all. Berube would have been a fav of mine, spent some time here as a Cap, and is a surprisingly good dude. But defensive styled I think. Not a good match.

I'd say a Euro guy makes sense, skill, high offense focus, BUT I don't know that a lot of them can handle the physical difference in play, and the smaller ice surface.

Someone call Sergei Federov.

@JeremyMStrain

#92 Old Man

Old Man

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,582 posts

Posted 27 January 2022 - 11:40 AM

I think the Cup is really based on 2 main things:

health and the hot glove between the pipes. 

Obviously, even a little nicked, will take your game down some. I know, same as all sports, but really noticeable on skates.

A hot goalie can put a cap on and carry his team.

#93 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,343 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 January 2022 - 10:43 PM

Caps have dropped a 5 spot on Braden Holtby through the first 2 periods in Dallas tonight.

#94 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 03 February 2022 - 02:29 PM

Anyone else slightly concerned that we just let Kuzy and Wilson get on a plane together to go to Vegas for the weekend unsupervised?

• You Play to Win the Game, Mike in STL and ivanbalt like this
@JeremyMStrain

#95 MattKory

MattKory

HOF

• Members
  • 97 posts

Posted 04 February 2022 - 05:46 PM

Haha! 

I feel like there's a whole lot of work to do with this team if they want to compete for a cup in this season's playoffs. The goalie is clearly an issue, but they badly need speed on the PP and they just don't have it. I don't think there is one trade they can make to fix it and the only other option is to completely revamp it strategically, which I don't see happening mid-season. 

I guess I'm kinda hoping they can find a legit #1 goalie at the deadline and then a whole bunch of healthy by the time the playoffs start. 

@mattymatty2000

#96 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 155,695 posts

Posted 06 February 2022 - 08:45 AM

Washington Post: Evgeny Kuznetsov is the Caps’ all-smiles all-star. He wants you to smile, too.

https://www.washingt...ov-personality/

#97 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,509 posts

Posted 09 February 2022 - 07:11 AM

This team cannot hold a lead.

#98 SouthRider

SouthRider

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 726 posts

Posted 10 February 2022 - 06:22 PM

I have watched most of their games this season, but I am now at the point where I just watch the 2 minute highlights.  They lose too many games against inferior competition. 

#99 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 14 February 2022 - 11:56 AM

I was talking to my neighbor the other night and it's kinda bothering me seeing the common factor with the big competing and well built teams right now, all of the best GMs in the league were big time Centers back in the 90s. Sakic. Yzerman. Why aren't we studying and tapping that market?

Just bringing it up cause the next coaching change will include a GM change too. Not that I think he's terrible, but you can't keep firing coaches and letting the GM who hired them get a pass. Especially when GMGM wasn't a bad GM by any stretch, but let so many future successful NHL coaches bomb out and leave.

I'm thinking guys like Mike Modano, Doug Gilmour, NOT Jeremy Roenick cause he's just a headache, and wondering which of them is going to be the next successful one. My money is actually on someone that makes a lot of sense here....Sergei Fedorov. He was BELOVED when he was here, is a mentor to Ovi, and is currently the GM of one of the KHL teams.

I'm not sure who you then tap to coach...former NHL player coaches have different track records. Berube was fantastic, and was an enforcer. Oates had that same profile as like Yzerman and Sakic but was a fail as a coach, maybe he needs to be a GM instead? Scott Stevens was a guy I thought of, but he was on the same path as Oates, they were even co-coaches together for a half season, Oates ran the offense and he ran the defense, but then he stepped back to spend time with his family, so I think he may be out of the scene for a while, and his heavy D presence probably wouldn't work here...need an offensive guy. With St. Louis getting the job in Montreal, it had me thinking, maybe Fedorov as GM and Mogilny, who has been on the GM path, but hasn't coached, Selanne or Paul Kariya could be other guys that might have the right mentality but neither have started on a post playing career like that.

@JeremyMStrain

#100 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,343 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 26 February 2022 - 03:18 PM

We're looking at the final 28 games of the Laviolette era, thank God. And if an idiot on a message board knew it was such an obviously bad hire, it's nuts these hockey people didn't. Another two years wasted with the window just about shut IMO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=