• Please log in to reply
168 replies to this topic

#41 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 26 October 2021 - 08:44 AM

He added a second to pull within 4 of Hull.

Another 2 points for the good guys. Sammy wasn't good though. He was very good in relief Saturday though.

Yeah kinda more of the same with Sammy. You give him a lead, especially a big one, and it's like he gets lazy and plays like crap. Not that he doesn't have potential to be great, he flashes some fantastic stuff, but I think his work ethic or whatever mental issue is, is weak sauce.

@JeremyMStrain

#42 Mashed Potatoes

Mashed Potatoes

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 28 October 2021 - 05:20 AM

Why do we suck in OT?
@DaKittenz

#43 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,343 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 28 October 2021 - 07:17 AM

Why do we suck in OT?

Just under Lavs we do. Defense already suspect in his system, but even more so when we drop down to 3v3. I wonder if there's a way to tell if this is true during regulation 4v4's as well.
  • Mashed Potatoes likes this

#44 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 28 October 2021 - 09:10 AM

Just under Lavs we do. Defense already suspect in his system, but even more so when we drop down to 3v3. I wonder if there's a way to tell if this is true during regulation 4v4's as well.

Not sure if you’re familiar with Natural Stat Trick, but it’s a great site for hockey stats. You can sort by a lot of filters…except for 4 on 4. But if you take even strength numbers, subtract by 5 on 5 numbers, you get 4 on 4 and 3 on 3 numbers. Between last season and this season, Caps are second worst in fenwick against (all unblocked shots allowed). They are tied for 26th in scoring chance shots against. Tied for for 24th in high danger shots against (pretty much in front of the net).

Worse than the Caps across the board in those stats are the Panthers who finished with two more points last year, and off to a 7-0 start this year. Canadiens also worse at high danger shots allowed…went to the finals last year.

Haven’t analyzed it enough to see what correlates most to points on the season. A lot of different variables in hockey to go through. Maybe it sticks out right now cause they have 3 OT losses in 7 games. But maybe big picture the correlation isn’t strong compared to other things like PP, PK, etc…
  • You Play to Win the Game and Mashed Potatoes like this
@BSLMikeRandall

#45 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 28 October 2021 - 01:37 PM

Oshie in a walking boot today. Damn.
@BSLMikeRandall

#46 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 28 October 2021 - 02:43 PM

Most of it has to do with what the pairings are. You want to put your best players out there, but you have two choices when playing down like that. Either you play to win or you play not to lose. They tend to play to win, which means your top offensive guys go out there, which means much more vulnerable to a poor rush or bad play. It's part of why the power play hasn't been great. The guys we have out there turn the puck over a bunch and don't control well when pressured. The flip side is they are fantastic other times and will put up points, but some of our top offensive guys are a little one dimensional.

@JeremyMStrain

#47 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 28 October 2021 - 02:45 PM

Oshie in a walking boot today. Damn.

Yeah saw that, and of course it happened right when they aligned the 2nd and 3rd lines like I thought they should have from the start (with the rookies Centering Oshie and Eller down on the 3rd as a proper checking line.

Means Sprong will be back in the lineup I guess.

• Mike in STL likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#48 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,343 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 11 November 2021 - 10:08 PM

In his NHL debut, Zach Fucale shuts out the Red Wings 2-0 tonight.

#49 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 12 November 2021 - 02:40 PM

I’m his NHL debut, Zach Fucale shuts out the Red Wings 2-0 tonight.

That was pretty fantastic. I fell asleep before the end of the 3rd, but good for him. Would be pretty great if he turned into a real solid backup and they could trade Samsonov and get younger in other spots.

Although gotta say, I'm so happy they are finally injecting some youth and it's going well. Fehver has been stellar. Conor and Max have been great. Would prob love to see another D-man like Alex get some time next though. Their recent drafts have been getting back on point though.

@JeremyMStrain

#50 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,343 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 November 2021 - 04:33 PM

Jeremy you’ll love this, if you haven’t seen it already…

https://www.reddit.c...utm_name=iossmf

#51 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 12 November 2021 - 07:49 PM

Ovi moves past Hull!
@BSLMikeRandall

#52 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,343 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 November 2021 - 07:52 PM

Ovi moves past Hull!

What an unreal start. Dude’s such a F’ing beast.

Great 538 piece on Ovi this morning. https://fivethirtyei...-great-one/amp/

#53 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,343 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 November 2021 - 09:05 AM

Caps drop another in OT, 3-2 to the Ducks as they start their west coast swing. Had a goal waived in the 1st. Pilon and Wilson with the 2 goals for the Caps, Vanecek had a nice game in net. Ovi with the very rare -2 for the night. He's been such a beast, all around this season, so that jumps out.

#54 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 17 November 2021 - 10:10 AM

Caps drop another in OT, 3-2 to the Ducks as they start their west coast swing. Had a goal waived in the 1st. Pilon and Wilson with the 2 goals for the Caps, Vanecek had a nice game in net. Ovi with the very rare -2 for the night. He's been such a beast, all around this season, so that jumps out.

ANA is on fire right now too, but that OT stat is starting to get really worrysome. Especially when so many playoff games are decided in OT. 0-5 is more than coincidence.

@JeremyMStrain

#55 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,343 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 17 November 2021 - 10:12 AM

ANA is on fire right now too, but that OT stat is starting to get really worrysome. Especially when so many playoff games are decided in OT. 0-5 is more than coincidence.

For sure. But mostly it's just a sucky way to lose. I hate sudden death losses. But you have to take it because at least you get a point out of the deal. 

#56 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 17 November 2021 - 10:15 AM

For sure. But mostly it's just a sucky way to lose. I hate sudden death losses. But you have to take it because at least you get a point out of the deal. 

Yeah don't get me wrong, I'd rather have 5 points than 0 points, but I'd REALLY rather have the wins. I'm just more concerned about the mechanics of what is causing it, and not repeating that in the playoffs.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#57 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,686 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 17 November 2021 - 10:54 AM

Meh, unless playoff OT becomes 3 on 3 I'm not concerned about that yet.

#58 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 17 November 2021 - 10:56 AM

Playoffs won’t be 3v3 though.
@BSLMikeRandall

#59 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,373 posts

Posted 17 November 2021 - 11:20 AM

Concerned it's more mental than 3v3 issues. Like just really struggling in pressure situations.

@JeremyMStrain

#60 SouthRider

SouthRider

Rookie

• Members
  • Pip
  • 726 posts

Posted 20 November 2021 - 01:49 PM

My biggest complaint about the Capitals the past few years is they are old and slow. With the injection of youth due to injuries this year, the Caps look like a totally different team.  The rookies are not overmatched and Laviolette is giving them plenty of playing time.  The experience these guys are getting will be invaluable come playoff time.  I just hope they don't get sent down, or worse traded, when the vets start coming back. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=