168 replies to this topic

#21 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 14 October 2021 - 08:37 AM

Awesome start to the season. Rags were still salty, it turns out, and still got their asses kicked.

TNT crew were hyping that new enforcer that the Rangers signed as the difference maker vs Wilson and the Caps.  He did nothing.

• Mashed Potatoes likes this

#22 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 14 October 2021 - 01:34 PM

TNT crew were hyping that new enforcer that the Rangers signed as the difference maker vs Wilson and the Caps.  He did nothing.

Yeah Reaves was the guy that was after Wilson in the Cup Finals a couple years ago from Vegas. He's a jerk. He came here specifically to be able to go after Wilson.

Which is funny cause then he was pinning Oshie down, and Oshie gives him a shove and then he gets completely upended by Jensen. It was awesome.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#23 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,473 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 October 2021 - 01:55 PM

Yeah Reaves was the guy that was after Wilson in the Cup Finals a couple years ago from Vegas. He's a jerk. He came here specifically to be able to go after Wilson.

Which is funny cause then he was pinning Oshie down, and Oshie gives him a shove and then he gets completely upended by Jensen. It was awesome.

My favorite play of the game.

#24 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 15 October 2021 - 12:40 PM

All in all it was about the most perfect way the first game could have gone. Would have loved to seen VV get the shutout in game 1 but I'm not going to complain.

Fehver and the retooled defense looked good. Finally starting to look like more balanced pairs and not just a whole bunch of offensive shooting defensemen everywhere. Of course as soon as I say that they claimed a former 1st round pick from DET, who is another puck moving defenseman. We'll see how that goes, but man Lavi can literally NOT pass on these kinds of guys.

The rookie who may be the key to our season, looked great out there in game 1. Would love to see McMichael getting some time too, we are an old ass roster and need to be ready for turnover, BUT more interestingly I'm wondering how things are going to play out after Nicky is back. I mean I questioned already putting a small, young offensively gifted C on the 3rd line (that's your checking line, so they get a bunch of ice time, but usually against the other team's top line and play more defense than offense). I prob would have gone with Eller on 3 where he usually would be, and Lappy on 2 with some other offensive guys, but eh, what do I know? He might be a stellar defensive C for all I know.

It's early and time will tell, but I'm cautiously optimistic this year.

@JeremyMStrain

#25 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 16 October 2021 - 07:50 PM

Ovi is amazing. Notched a goal, and was quite literally a millimeter from a second one about 15 seconds later. Vasi had to reach back to corral it just before it trickled across the goal line.
@BSLMikeRandall

#26 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 16 October 2021 - 07:54 PM

Great 8 is 8 shy of Brett Hull for 4th all-time.
@BSLMikeRandall

#27 ivanbalt

ivanbalt

All Star

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,532 posts

Posted 20 October 2021 - 05:29 AM

Game was on ESPN+ last night so I could not watch.  Hope there isn't much of this crap throughout the season.

#28 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,473 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 October 2021 - 07:06 AM

It was a great game. Pretty much shut down Colorado. I've been very impressed with the D and Vitek Vanecek so far.

Ovi notched an empty netter to get one closer. He's got 4 goals through 3 games.

#29 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 20 October 2021 - 08:34 AM

It was a great game. Pretty much shut down Colorado. I've been very impressed with the D and Vitek Vanecek so far.

Ovi notched an empty netter to get one closer. He's got 4 goals through 3 games.

Yeah I was following along last night when I was putting the little one to bed, was a little disappointed by Sammy again. More of the same, flashes superstar, but inconsistent, and when our team gets up big seems to let in softies.

The D looks so much better in this build. Which is kinda funny, cause the bigger piece they gave up was one of the better defensive guys. Just goes to show you that chemistry and balance is so important in the NHL, not even roster specific but pairs/line specific too.

Kuzy being Kuzy, lights out offense, and gave up one of the goals with a boneheaded lazy pass. As long as there are Defensive players to compensate for him, it's fine, but reminds me sometimes of a more rounded Semin.

I thought McMichael showed well too. Love seeing the rookies get more and more time. Gotta drop the age on this roster some and shave some payroll.

@JeremyMStrain

#30 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,473 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 October 2021 - 08:42 AM

Good stuff Jeremy. To me, Vanecek looks ready to take the reigns this year - hopefully he does. And so true about Kuzy - at least this was one of the games where in addition to taking away, he gave, lol. Good point about McMichael too, liked what I saw too. Also just 2 shots for Ovi last night, including the empty net goal, he's got a cute +/- of 3 through 3 games. Love to see it.

#31 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,473 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 20 October 2021 - 08:42 AM

Were the Avs pre-season Stanley Cup favorites again this year?

#32 DuffMan

DuffMan

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,738 posts
  • LocationLinthicum, MD

Posted 20 October 2021 - 09:58 AM

Kuzy being Kuzy, lights out offense, and gave up one of the goals with a boneheaded lazy pass. As long as there are Defensive players to compensate for him, it's fine, but reminds me sometimes of a more rounded Semin.

He has his lapses for sure, but his dominant form when we won the Cup will forever prevent me from comparing him to Sasha.

#33 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 20 October 2021 - 10:38 AM

Were the Avs pre-season Stanley Cup favorites again this year?

Yeah I think they were at a couple places. Def a favorite to be there.

I like VV a lot, even just a slight uptick from last year and we've got a top end GK. Hoping he stays consistent and the D keeps helping him out.

I know I mentioned it a lot last year and how a lot of the horrible D was coming from the offense not playing back, so part of me right now, SSS and all is wondering with Nicky out, if they've only got one line to worry about sloppy C play and backchecking with Kuzy because they've got Eller, Dowd, and word was that Lappy was playing fantastic defense the other night. If McMichael is as well...maybe Nick is losing a step on that end and it makes two lines that are problems defensively. Hard to say...I remember Nick having an almost Selke like year a few years back, but there's def a reason for last year to be found.

@JeremyMStrain

#34 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts

Posted 20 October 2021 - 10:40 AM

He has his lapses for sure, but his dominant form when we won the Cup will forever prevent me from comparing him to Sasha.

See for me though I look at his lapses last year, Covid situations, and lack of defense and it weighs more heavily than a good cup run. Almost all of his issues are just mental ones. Maturity and decisions I think...some bad luck too with injuries, but that's not his fault. But really need to see that desire to be better...that's always what held Semin back.

• DuffMan likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#35 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,473 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 October 2021 - 12:25 PM

Absolutely atrocious roughing call on Hathaway leads to a PP goal for Calgary, and for the first time all season, the Caps trail.

#36 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,473 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 October 2021 - 12:41 PM

Now down 3-0, still in the first. Defense hanging VV out to dry. Calgary has dominates the Caps zone.

#37 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,473 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 October 2021 - 01:10 PM

Sammy is in for Vitek. Kuzy scores early in the 2nd to make it 3-1.

#38 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 25 October 2021 - 07:48 PM

Ovi 5 away from Hull.

5-4 still in the 2nd. Are these goals regulation size or what?
@BSLMikeRandall

#39 Mike in STL

Mike in STL

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,346 posts

Posted 25 October 2021 - 07:55 PM

And T.J. Oshie with a hat trick!

6-4, 7 seconds left in the 2nd. Can they put up a 10 spot? Can they lose 8-7 or something stupid?
@BSLMikeRandall

#40 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,473 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 25 October 2021 - 08:57 PM

Ovi 5 away from Hull.

5-4 still in the 2nd. Are these goals regulation size or what?

He added a second to pull within 4 of Hull.

Another 2 points for the good guys. Sammy wasn't good though. He was very good in relief Saturday though.
  • Mike in STL likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=