404 replies to this topic

#281 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,015 posts

Posted 14 August 2023 - 07:52 PM

He's also still just a few days shy of burning his rookie eligibility, been up for something like 40 days. So if they keep him down all year and roster him to start 2024, they'll have a chance at draft picks if he wins ROY.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#282 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,364 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 14 August 2023 - 09:12 PM

The ROY draft pick potential means almost nothing to me. Its nice it you ever get one but I care way more about doing what helps the O's win. If he starts smoking at AAA and can help the team down the stretch then fantastic. Don't keep him down for some draft pick potential.

But if he's clearly not the right call up come September then just let him stay and hope he turns it on come ST. 

#283 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,015 posts

Posted 14 August 2023 - 09:21 PM

Agree, burn that if you need it. But I do think that was a minor factor for him getting sent down today as opposed to a week from now. Hicks timing the driving factor, but he might've had a rehab assignment for a couple days if Cowser wasn't nearing that mark. Maybe not though since Hicks only has missed 3 weeks.

#284 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,256 posts

Posted 15 August 2023 - 04:06 AM

Agree, burn that if you need it. But I do think that was a minor factor for him getting sent down today as opposed to a week from now. Hicks timing the driving factor, but he might've had a rehab assignment for a couple days if Cowser wasn't nearing that mark. Maybe not though since Hicks only has missed 3 weeks.

It's a lottery ticket approach and it makes sense.

Further, it gives Cowser a mulligan for his initial
run and he was on the bench at the tail end of it.

He deserves a clean slate.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#285 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,256 posts

Posted 15 August 2023 - 05:45 AM

I hate seeing a young player struggle as badly as Cowser did. It happens though. He will be back and I expect be a lot better.

I do not think he will be the 27th man. I think that is going to be a 3rd catcher.

Hopefully, He bounces back from the struggles.

The only way Cowser comes back is if a couple of outfielders get hurt. Further, I doubt that he is the first guy called up in that scenario. He needs to get his feet under him again before he's exposed to MLB pitching.

With Mateo, Frazier, and even Westburg's ability to play the OF, I think the extra catcher that you have suggested makes the most sense when the roster's expand

If they need an extra outfielder, McKenna should get the first call. He's used to spot playing, can play a major league center field, can run, and does the little things well.

#286 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 15 August 2023 - 07:40 AM

I will say the same thing I said when Grayson went down.  Cowser will be back and he will be good.  I think things snowballed on Colton.  It happens, baseball is brutally tough.

Also just to be clear, I really don't want them to use the extra position spot for a 3rd catcher, but I think that is what they do.

• BobPhelan likes this
@mikeghg

#287 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,364 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 19 August 2023 - 03:32 PM

Cowser has gone 3 for 12 in his 3 games back at Norfolk with a double and home run. Get it going kid, this is a start.

#288 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,541 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 23 August 2023 - 07:09 PM

Cowser made a sick catch tonight.

https://x.com/norfol...60M8ZOe1IyiordQ

p7huiTQ.jpg
  • BSLChrisStoner, BobPhelan and CantonJester like this

#289 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,364 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 23 August 2023 - 07:45 PM

Really glad to see that because I was not impressed with his defense when he was up. But that was one athletic play!

#290 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,620 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 23 August 2023 - 08:24 PM

Really glad to see that because I was not impressed with his defense when he was up. But that was one athletic play!

Really think he just needs to get comfortable up here. He came from a small school, not used to big stadiums, crowds, etc.

Next year may have to be the time for that, we’ll see.

#291 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,412 posts

Posted 23 August 2023 - 08:29 PM

Really think he just needs to get comfortable up here. He came from a small school, not used to big stadiums, crowds, etc.

If they want to give him more time at the start of a season Im fine with that for awhile. Cant let him find his way in a pennant race
  • BobPhelan and russsnyder like this

#292 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,412 posts

Posted 23 August 2023 - 09:53 PM

Cowser made a sick catch tonight.

https://x.com/norfol...60M8ZOe1IyiordQ

p7huiTQ.jpg

Golden sombrero too!! Bob wasnt gonna tell you that part of his night but I will :ph34r:

#293 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,696 posts

Posted 23 August 2023 - 10:05 PM

Golden sombrero too!! Bob wasnt gonna tell you that part of his night but I will :ph34r:

After which a .326 average and a 1.001 OPS. 

Finish the story. 

• DuffMan likes this

#294 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,256 posts

Posted 24 August 2023 - 02:39 AM

I think this is a fair point.

I think he was obviously overwhelmed in his trial earlier this year. Despite being a contender, the Orioles tried to carve out a role for him. It just didn't work and there's too much at stake.

I'm glad he's getting his feet under him at Norfolk. My preference is to have him play extensively in ST next year and to win a spot on the team.

I wouldn't subject him to the majors again this year unless there's a rash of injuries. If you want to throw him a bone, let him work out in Sarasota after the season in Norfolk. That way, he can be ready in case there is a need during the post season.

#295 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,256 posts

Posted 24 August 2023 - 02:41 AM

Yeah, he looked pretty stiff when he was up earlier. That's an incredible catch.

#296 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,620 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 24 August 2023 - 02:47 AM

I honestly didn’t know haha.

#297 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,464 posts

Posted 24 August 2023 - 06:57 AM

Completely agree.  Go back and watch that play where him and Urias miscommunicated.  Watch his face after the ball drops.  That's a guy who's playing afraid to make a mistake.

His personality is a bit different, you can tell he just really wants to contribute.  The skills are there, it's a question of whether or not the confidence will come.  If it does I think he's going to be very good, but I can see him struggling as well.  The mental part is so important.

• BobPhelan and Mike B like this

#298 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,650 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 24 August 2023 - 08:13 AM

Completely agree.  Go back and watch that play where him and Urias miscommunicated.  Watch his face after the ball drops.  That's a guy who's playing afraid to make a mistake.

His personality is a bit different, you can tell he just really wants to contribute.  The skills are there, it's a question of whether or not the confidence will come.  If it does I think he's going to be very good, but I can see him struggling as well.  The mental part is so important.

Cowser will be back and be good.  I think some think it is easy for a player to come up and contribute.  Watching every night, you could tell Cowser was pressing and was not able to loosen up.  We saw it with Adley, Gunnar, Grayson etc.  He will be back and be good.

• BobPhelan likes this
@mikeghg

#299 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,464 posts

Posted 24 August 2023 - 12:04 PM

Cowser will be back and be good.  I think some think it is easy for a player to come up and contribute.  Watching every night, you could tell Cowser was pressing and was not able to loosen up.  We saw it with Adley, Gunnar, Grayson etc.  He will be back and be good.

Yeah, some guys never get there.  I'm pretty sure in Cal's book he mentioned Bob Bonner.  And that Bonner was the better prospect of the 2, but Earl would tear Bonner down and Bonner couldn't recover.  Now I'm sure it was a talent thing as well but the mental part, believing you can be successful, is just so underrated.

(Also I read that book like 30 years ago but I'm pretty sure I got most of that story right.)

When I saw Cowser up here I didn't see a guy looking to be successful, I saw a guy hoping he wouldn't fail.  You can't play like that.  He'll either get it or he won't but he'll get plenty more chances.

• Mike B and russsnyder like this

#300 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,256 posts

Posted 24 August 2023 - 12:09 PM

Yeah, some guys never get there. I'm pretty sure in Cal's book he mentioned Bob Bonner. And that Bonner was the better prospect of the 2, but Earl would tear Bonner down and Bonner couldn't recover. Now I'm sure it was a talent thing as well but the mental part, believing you can be successful, is just so underrated.

(Also I read that book like 30 years ago but I'm pretty sure I got most of that story right.)

When I saw Cowser up here I didn't see a guy looking to be successful, I saw a guy hoping he wouldn't fail. You can't play like that. He'll either get it or he won't but he'll get plenty more chances.

I read Bonner's baseball almanac page and it's pretty similar to what you posted. Bonner didn't make a play early on and Weaver rode him like a dog. Seemed pretty relentless and he did not respond well. I think Bonner entered the ministry after he left baseball.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=