403 replies to this topic

#241 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,998 posts

Posted 29 July 2023 - 11:47 AM

I just don't understand why he isn't getting sent down. His at bats are woeful.

Because he's only been up for about 15 starts. The talent overrides a bad start and he's got nothing left to work on in Norfolk. Panicking is bad business.

An extended struggle or a need for a mental refresh (like with Grayson) are the only reasons he should be sent down. His time so far has not been extended.
  • BobPhelan and mdrunning like this

#242 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,355 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 29 July 2023 - 12:05 PM

Because he's only been up for about 15 starts. The talent overrides a bad start and he's got nothing left to work on in Norfolk. Panicking is bad business.

An extended struggle or a need for a mental refresh (like with Grayson) are the only reasons he should be sent down. His time so far has not been extended.

I dont think anybody is panicking. Some of us just think we have better options to win right now than trotting him out there. Maybe he doesn't have anything he could work on at AAA but its sure painful to see him not even put the ball in play. He'll get there. I just hope in the meantime it doesn't cost us Ws.

#243 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,998 posts

Posted 29 July 2023 - 12:23 PM

I dont think anybody is panicking. Some of us just think we have better options to win right now than trotting him out there. Maybe he doesn't have anything he could work on at AAA but its sure painful to see him not even put the ball in play. He'll get there. I just hope in the meantime it doesn't cost us Ws.

I think wanting to send him down already is panicking, so I definitely think you and others are panicking. Four weeks from now if he's still not hitting that's a different thing than after only 50 PA. If he's struggling mentally and needs a refresh, then that's fine to act on as soon as now, but none of us can gauge that.

It hasn't cost us wins. The stretch since he's debuted is probably out best stretch of the season. I doubt it will, and any wins it may cost us in the coming weeks I'm highly confident we will make up in September and October once he's settled in and a clearly superior OF option to any of the other alternatives, including most any plausible trade target (like Bellinger).

#244 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,355 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 29 July 2023 - 12:57 PM

I was ok with everything you wrote until the last sentence. Do'nt agree he's more valuable than Bellinger. You are way more betting on the come with Cowser than Bellinger.

#245 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,998 posts

Posted 29 July 2023 - 01:18 PM

Bellinger has great numbers this year but I'm not convinced he'll continue producing. Bob has pointed out that his expected numbers aren't be nearly as good as his actual given the exit velocities and such, and we know he's prone to long bouts of being awful as he was just that for the three seasons prior.

I'm very content to continue through Cower's current struggles in hopes of getting to the hitter underneath. I'd pick Cowser over Bellinger if we're projecting September & October OPS right now. And Cowser doesn't cost anything to acquire. Cubs may not even sell so it might be moot.
  • Mike B likes this

#246 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,355 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 29 July 2023 - 01:28 PM

Fair enough.

#247 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,395 posts

Posted 29 July 2023 - 02:04 PM

He gets til 1 of Hicks or Mullins is back. He better have shown much improvement by then whenever that is.

#248 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 08:49 AM

Balt Sun: Orioles rookie Colton Cowser hoping to ‘stop thinking so damn much’ as roster crunch looms

#249 dude

dude

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,772 posts
  • LocationColumbus, GA

Posted 12 August 2023 - 02:55 PM

Honestly, they need to send him down before he breaks his rookie status.  Westburg just [appears to have] broke[n] his and Cowser isn't far behind.

Once you are off the prospect lists, you lose an element of your value and while someone is going to tell me FOs are smarter than this, it's pretty easy to point to examples of FOs valuing the public perception versus absolute value of Talent.

Where is Stowers value since he broke status?

#250 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 03:19 PM

Honestly, they need to send him down before he breaks his rookie status.  Westburg just [appears to have] broke[n] his and Cowser isn't far behind.

Once you are off the prospect lists, you lose an element of your value and while someone is going to tell me FOs are smarter than this, it's pretty easy to point to examples of FOs valuing the public perception versus absolute value of Talent.

Where is Stowers value since he broke status?

Stowers value is down because he didn't play much this year. 
If he was healthy and producing at AAA, then his 30 ab's in the Majors wouldn't matter at all. 

I really can't believe you think there is a FO that would have valued Cowser before his promotion, and valued him less now that he has 61 ML ab's.

• BobPhelan likes this

#251 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,395 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 03:27 PM

If he was healthy and producing at AAA, then his 30 ab's in the Majors wouldn't matter at all.

I really can't believe you think there is a FO that would have valued Cowser before his promotion, and valued him less now that he has 61 ML ab's.

You cant believe it? You know whos post youre responding to right?

#252 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,538 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 12 August 2023 - 03:59 PM

Understand the point of extremely SSS - I do feel Stowers value is probably shot a bit. Although am open to it possibly not being that high to begin with. He feels exposed. Cowser does not. Not remotely worried about him.

#253 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,395 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 04:05 PM

Understand the point of extremely SSS - I do feel Stowers value is probably shot a bit. Although am open to it possibly not being that high to begin with. He feels exposed. Cowser does not. Not remotely worried about him.

I dont know that anyone was ever convinced Stowers was more than AAAA anyway. Surely someone is willing to give him a shot but what they pay for him likely isnt that much different today than it was last offseason.

Without getting too deep into the Cowser take above its just a crazy thought. It tells you a lot about his thought process and how he values young players.

#254 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,314 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 04:06 PM

Yeah, I think with Stowers it's more of that.. his value was never that high to begin with.  But from whatever it was, to now... I don't think it's taken a tremendous drop.  He's a supplemental piece in any trade even if he had been at AAA and hitting all year.  I'm just saying I don't think his very limited ML exposure impacted his relatively minimal value.   

And yeah, not worried about Cowser either.

#255 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,355 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 12 August 2023 - 06:14 PM

I am not worried (well much anyway) about Cowser. What I am worried about is him playing when he's hurting the chances of the team to win today. I get if he breaks out he MIGHT be the better option come October. But I think he's shown enough so far to make that a very big if while doing almost nothing to help us win now.

#256 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 12 August 2023 - 10:19 PM

I dont know that anyone was ever convinced Stowers was more than AAAA anyway. Surely someone is willing to give him a shot but what they pay for him likely isnt that much different today than it was last offseason.

Without getting too deep into the Cowser take above its just a crazy thought. It tells you a lot about his thought process and how he values young players.

Hmmm, that seems like some revisionist history regarding Stowers.

#257 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 10:22 PM

I think there's generally a substantial drop in value from pre call-up to post demotion of a player that got sent down due to failing other than some other reason.

#258 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,616 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 12 August 2023 - 10:46 PM

Hmmm, that seems like some revisionist history regarding Stowers.

Stowers was never a top 100 guy but probably in the next 50-100. I still think he could develop into a Santander type bat with better defense but hard to argue his value hasn’t taken a hit over the last 12 months. He never got a real steady run but also never really looked comfortable or confident in the bigs.

#259 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,395 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 11:10 PM

You guys overrated him grom the jump.

#260 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,383 posts

Posted 12 August 2023 - 11:58 PM

Stowers was never a top 100 guy but probably in the next 50-100. I still think he could develop into a Santander type bat with better defense but hard to argue his value hasn’t taken a hit over the last 12 months. He never got a real steady run but also never really looked comfortable or confident in the bigs.

You had him 8th in the O's system just over a year ago. So while probably not in your top 100 overall, knowing you and your views on this farm system, probably barely missing the top 100.

I definitely agree on the last part which is why I think they should make their decisions quicker on guys (Ortiz) that are in a roster crunch rather than give them the Stowers treatment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=