404 replies to this topic

#261 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,622 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 13 August 2023 - 06:30 AM

You had him 8th in the O's system just over a year ago. So while probably not in your top 100 overall, knowing you and your views on this farm system, probably barely missing the top 100.

I definitely agree on the last part which is why I think they should make their decisions quicker on guys (Ortiz) that are in a roster crunch rather than give them the Stowers treatment.

Not sure why this sounds like you’re disagreeing with me but I don’t make overall top 100’s so yeah that’s why I said the next 50-100. Bradish was in the same category for me. I still think he probably has more value than most imagine but obviously less then if he would’ve had some early ML success.
  • TwentyThirtyFive likes this

#262 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,622 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 13 August 2023 - 06:32 AM

You guys overrated him grom the jump.

Very possible. This is where not having access to underlying data could effect our judgement.

#263 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,341 posts

Posted 13 August 2023 - 07:13 AM

Hmmm, that seems like some revisionist history regarding Stowers.

I def thought he would get 450 abs / regular playing time and help. Still absolutely believe he can help a roster. Not a star but someone that can give you 20 homers, 25 doubles. Be productive especially while cost controlled.

If the Os did a larger deal at some point, I think a team would be wise to include him as a throw in.

Never thought there was huge ceiling, but not everyone has to be an AS to have value.

He might prove to be exposed in the Majors and be a AAAA guy, but dont think his limited ML time to date gives us any real info.

#264 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,431 posts

Posted 13 August 2023 - 07:54 AM

To be clear, Im not saying he was destined to be a AAAA guy. Im just saying he had to show he could make it in the show and do it while getting limited PT. Compare his PT and how quickly the Os kinda gave up on him vs a Top 40 guy in Cowser. This is why IMO his stock hasnt taken some huge hit. He had to prove himself then and still does now. Not really enough ABs to conclusively call him a AAAA guy though I think thats the likely outcome.

#265 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,431 posts

Posted 13 August 2023 - 07:55 AM

Not sure why this sounds like you’re disagreeing with me but I don’t make overall top 100’s so yeah that’s why I said the next 50-100. Bradish was in the same category for me. I still think he probably has more value than most imagine but obviously less then if he would’ve had some early ML success.

In conclusion your final sentence says it all for me. I think Os fans overvalued him a year ago and likely undervalue him now.
  • BobPhelan likes this

#266 mweb08

mweb08

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 30,384 posts
  • LocationRidgely's Delight

Posted 13 August 2023 - 08:08 AM

I would think more like next 25 for you if not in the top 100 if you had been making a list, but fair enough.

#267 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,065 posts

Posted 13 August 2023 - 08:24 AM

Haven't gotten to watch the past week plus, so no idea if his at bats are looking any better.  Still not hitting aside from that PH 2B, but more walks and fewer Ks.  729 OPS in August, but its all OBP-driven with the 4 BB in 14 PA.

#268 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,259 posts

Posted 13 August 2023 - 12:56 PM

Haven't gotten to watch the past week plus, so no idea if his at bats are looking any better. Still not hitting aside from that PH 2B, but more walks and fewer Ks. 729 OPS in August, but its all OBP-driven with the 4 BB in 14 PA.

He's looked a little bit better.

Still not barrelling up that well, but he is making more consistent contact. He's going to get pounded inside until he turns on a few more inside pitches.
<p>"F IT!, Let's hit." Ted Williams

#269 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,858 posts

Posted 13 August 2023 - 01:31 PM

Colton Cowser- the most scrutinized first 77 PAs in Orioles history.

I'm just glad we were able to sign Hicks and not rely on him after Mullins first IL stint.

#270 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,699 posts

Posted 13 August 2023 - 01:36 PM

Colton Cowser- the most scrutinized first 77 PAs in Orioles history.

I'm just glad we were able to sign Hicks and not rely on him after Mullins first IL stint.

Actually, in all likelihood had they not signed Hicks, Cowser would’ve had the opportunity to workout all the kinks and he’d likely be a league average LF now (Hays in CF during the injury spell). 

#271 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,259 posts

Posted 13 August 2023 - 02:06 PM

Actually, in all likelihood had they not signed Hicks, Cowser would’ve had the opportunity to workout all the kinks and he’d likely be a league average LF now (Hays in CF during the injury spell).

I disagree that this would have been the likely outcome had they not signed Hicks. Cowser has looked like a fish out of water from day one. Also, it's good they signed Hicks because the plan Cowser was to play center. He's not even close to a league average player in any respect right now. Thank goodness they signed Hicks. Had they not, it would have been very likely that they would have traded for a veteran OFer at the deadline.

#272 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,699 posts

Posted 13 August 2023 - 02:16 PM

I disagree that this would have been the likely outcome had they not signed Hicks. Cowser has looked like a fish out of water from day one. Also, it's good they signed Hicks because the plan Cowser was to play center. He's not even close to a league average player in any respect right now. Thank goodness they signed Hicks.

So you think Cowser’s not cut out for the big leagues? Because what I said was with more ABs he would’ve caught up to speed (the way he’s done at each of the minor league levels). He has nothing left to prove in AAA. 

I think Cowser’s going to be a good big league ballplayer. Apparently you don’t. 

#273 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,259 posts

Posted 13 August 2023 - 02:28 PM

So you think Cowser’s not cut out for the big leagues? Because what I said was with more ABs he would’ve caught up to speed (the way he’s done at each of the minor league levels). He has nothing left to prove in AAA.

I think Cowser’s going to be a good big league ballplayer. Apparently you don’t.

I said that he hasn't looked the part.

You are the one that put the "likely outcome" statement out there. He's done absolutely nothing with the opportunities that he has been given. The likely outcome is that he would have struggled whether Hicks was in the picture or not.

The jury is still out for me.

Most highly rated prospects (Adley, Henderson) are subjected to breaking pitches when they are breaking in. The assumption is that they can hit the fastball. Cowser has been challenged by inside fastballs since he broke in and he has a lot of trouble turning on them. Further, he doesn't look very athletic on the field. In short,He's the anti Henderson.

He may turn out to be a productive player,and I certainly hope he turns it around. However, I wouldn't clear a starting spot for him in the lineup over the winter.

#274 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,544 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 14 August 2023 - 02:57 PM

Colton Cowser has been demoted with the activation of Aaron Hicks to the IL this afternoon.

https://twitter.com/...3202670594?s=20

#275 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,431 posts

Posted 14 August 2023 - 02:59 PM

Nice to see Hicks back. Writing was on the wall for Cowser.

#276 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 61,065 posts

Posted 14 August 2023 - 03:22 PM

Will be interesting to see what Cowser does back at Norfolk and if its him or another player that gets the call in September.  Might not necessarily be an OF.

Hicks had been pretty bleh for about a month prior to his injury.  Suppose its possible he struggles and Cowser replaces him on the roster within a few weeks.  O'Hearn has been in a deep funk, too.  If that keeps up another few weeks maybe he goes down, especially if Mountcastle remains hot.

#277 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,651 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 14 August 2023 - 03:39 PM

Will be interesting to see what Cowser does back at Norfolk and if its him or another player that gets the call in September.  Might not necessarily be an OF.

Hicks had been pretty bleh for about a month prior to his injury.  Suppose its possible he struggles and Cowser replaces him on the roster within a few weeks.  O'Hearn has been in a deep funk, too.  If that keeps up another few weeks maybe he goes down, especially if Mountcastle remains hot.

I hate seeing a young player struggle as badly as Cowser did.  It happens though.  He will be back and I expect be a lot better.

I do not think he will be the 27th man.  I think that is going to be a 3rd catcher.

@mikeghg

#278 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,676 posts

Posted 14 August 2023 - 04:35 PM

Cowser shouldn’t be called back up unless absolutely necessary. Let him finish season on high note in AAA and get ready to make team out of ST next year.
  • BSLSteveBirrer likes this
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#279 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,699 posts

Posted 14 August 2023 - 04:47 PM

O'Hearn playing in LF when McCann is behind the plate (read: Rutschman at DH) almost cost them the game yesterday. There's no way Rojas scores from first unless it's a guy like O'Hearn lumbering after a ball that wouldn't have reached the wall if Hays were in LF. Wasn't until the next inning when Cedric came in to play CF that Hays slotted over to LF. 

I like O'Hearn. As the DH. 

#280 russsnyder

russsnyder

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,259 posts

Posted 14 August 2023 - 07:38 PM

This is the correct move.

I doubt we see Cowser on the major league roster again this season.

Let him get some confidence at Triple A and see if he can make the team out of ST.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=