#301 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,633 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 24 August 2023 - 12:34 PM

Yeah, some guys never get there.  I'm pretty sure in Cal's book he mentioned Bob Bonner.  And that Bonner was the better prospect of the 2, but Earl would tear Bonner down and Bonner couldn't recover.  Now I'm sure it was a talent thing as well but the mental part, believing you can be successful, is just so underrated.

(Also I read that book like 30 years ago but I'm pretty sure I got most of that story right.)

When I saw Cowser up here I didn't see a guy looking to be successful, I saw a guy hoping he wouldn't fail.  You can't play like that.  He'll either get it or he won't but he'll get plenty more chances.

Great Memory.  Bonner struggled early and really never got another chance.   I worked with a guy who played HS baseball with Bonner in Texas.  He said Bonner told him, Earl crushed his confidence.

@mikeghg

#302 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,266 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 25 August 2023 - 12:33 PM

Mid season MiL top 50 from ESPN. Here's what they said about Cowser.

Cowser is yet another player who might play up the middle and draws a lot of walks. His contact rate and in-game power are fringy-to-average, as is his defensive reputation in center field, but he's still a solid player even at the low end of that range. Although Cowser has already reached the big leagues, opinions vary widely on him.

#303 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,585 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 September 2023 - 11:17 AM

Optioned to AAA

#304 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,562 posts

Posted 03 September 2023 - 02:09 PM

Should have never been called up to begin with. See ya next year kid. Get it together.
I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#305 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,097 posts

Posted 03 September 2023 - 02:27 PM

Should have never been called up to begin with. See ya next year kid. Get it together.

I assume you mean Sept 1 and not called up initially. He def deserved the initial promotion. As far as Sept its obv they just wanted a LH bat on the bench for a day or two until Hicks got back. Werent gonna force a 40 man move to get Kjerstad on just to sit the bench and be a PH option for a few days. No harm no foul.
  • BSLSteveBirrer likes this

#306 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,585 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 28 September 2023 - 04:20 PM

AAA

.300/.417/.520 (.937), 72 R, 18 doubles, 1 triple, 17 HR, 62 RBI, 64 BB, 9 SB, 323 AB

136 wRC+, 16% BB rate, 26.8% K rate, .220 ISO

#307 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,479 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 September 2023 - 11:27 PM

Colton Cowser just jacked a go ahead Grand Slam in Las Vegas in the top of the 7th - gave the Tide a 5-2 lead in the championship game.

https://x.com/Norfol...8748124303?s=20

Game on MLB Network for anyone interested.
  • BobPhelan and CantonJester like this

#308 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,562 posts

Posted 01 October 2023 - 10:10 AM

I'd like to take another look at him next year...just don't see how he fits in. Kjerstad as already leapfrogged him.

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#309 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,585 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 01 October 2023 - 03:55 PM

I'd like to take another look at him next year...just don't see how he fits in. Kjerstad as already leapfrogged him.

They play two very different roles. Cowser is an above average corner outfielder that can play CF, Kjerstad is an offense first 1B/COF/DH.
  • JeremyStrain, DuffMan and CantonJester like this

#310 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,643 posts

Posted 01 October 2023 - 07:15 PM

Colton Cowser just jacked a go ahead Grand Slam in Las Vegas in the top of the 7th - gave the Tide a 5-2 lead in the championship game.

455 feet to dead center. 108 MPH exit velocity. 

#311 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,563 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 02 October 2023 - 03:50 PM

Obviously this is just 1 home-run swing but his timing seems so much better now.  His hips never seemed in sync with his arms in the big leagues.  It's like he was having trouble timing the pitchers.  Hopefully whatever was going wrong with him in his cup of coffee got ironed out.

#312 Nigel Tufnel

Nigel Tufnel

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,948 posts

Posted 03 October 2023 - 10:09 AM

They play two very different roles. Cowser is an above average corner outfielder that can play CF, Kjerstad is an offense first 1B/COF/DH.

Is it fair to say that Cowser is a Hays, and Kjerstad is a Santander?

#313 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 03 October 2023 - 10:30 AM

I always saw Cowser as the LF of the future and Heston as the RF.

I think that's why they went for such a pure CF this year in the draft, was a toolset we were kind of missing, and hybrids like Mullins that can be an offensive force AND play great defense in CF are REALLY hard to find.

@JeremyMStrain

#314 hallas

hallas

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,563 posts
  • LocationDaniel Larusso's hometown

Posted 03 October 2023 - 12:30 PM

I think that's why they went for such a pure CF this year in the draft, was a toolset we were kind of missing, and hybrids like Mullins that can be an offensive force AND play great defense in CF are REALLY hard to find.

Cowser has an absolute cannon, and that might be wasted a bit in LF.

Cowser and Kjerstad have the same sprint speed according to statcast (with the caveat that Kjerstad has a very small number of qualified runs) so looks might be deceiving with Kjerstad and his range.  It's probably more about jump/first step.  Also maybe he's slower to accelerate.  Who knows.  There have been more than a few surprising statcast sprint speed results.

#315 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 03 October 2023 - 01:34 PM

Cowser has an absolute cannon, and that might be wasted a bit in LF.

Cowser and Kjerstad have the same sprint speed according to statcast (with the caveat that Kjerstad has a very small number of qualified runs) so looks might be deceiving with Kjerstad and his range.  It's probably more about jump/first step.  Also maybe he's slower to accelerate.  Who knows.  There have been more than a few surprising statcast sprint speed results.

I can't even really say why I lumped them like that. I think it's just seeing them (although only a couple times, so limited sample), but like when Mullins was in AA, he was OBVIOUSLY going to stick in CF. He was making those crazy rangy catches back then too. With both of these guys it felt like Cowser covered a little more ground, and was a little more sure with the glove, with Heston he felt like a solid RF, not one that you hide out there cause they can't play anywhere else, but didn't feel like he'd have the range to cover the larger LF like Camden.

Almost reminds me of the Brady/Deveraux debate. Like neither is really a bad choice but can't both play the same spots.

@JeremyMStrain

#316 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,823 posts

Posted 03 October 2023 - 01:38 PM

I don't think Cowser will be good enough to be an everyday CF but he's good enough that he can be your primary backup CF, just sliding over when Ced needs a day off, so that you don't need to carry a glove-only bench option who is CF-eligible like McKenna.

I see no chance for Kjerstad in LF.  Not sure if that's what is actually being discussed, but if so it seems pointless.  I don't see it happening outside of a random end-of-game re-arrangement if you've had to dip into every possible option.  Or maybe in Fenway only.  He's barely played LF in the minors.  You don't usually go up the defensive ladder as you reach higher levels. 

• JeremyStrain and BobPhelan like this

#317 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,431 posts

Posted 03 October 2023 - 02:01 PM

I don't think Cowser will be good enough to be an everyday CF but he's good enough that he can be your primary backup CF, just sliding over when Ced needs a day off, so that you don't need to carry a glove-only bench option who is CF-eligible like McKenna.

I see no chance for Kjerstad in LF.  Not sure if that's what is actually being discussed, but if so it seems pointless.  I don't see it happening outside of a random end-of-game re-arrangement if you've had to dip into every possible option.  Or maybe in Fenway only.  He's barely played LF in the minors.  You don't usually go up the defensive ladder as you reach higher levels. 

Agreed, though just to be a bit pedantic I will point out that I believe LF is usually seen as lower or easier on the spectrum, mostly due to the arm requirements of RF, but clearly LF is way harder when playing 81 games at current OPACY. I probably wouldn't mind Kjerstad playing LF on the road, though there is something to be said for not switching guys around (for example, Santander generally seemed terrible any time he was put in LF)

#318 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,585 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 October 2023 - 07:12 PM

Big focus on true CF this year in the draft plus Jud Fabian last year.

#319 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,585 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 03 October 2023 - 07:14 PM

Is it fair to say that Cowser is a Hays, and Kjerstad is a Santander?

Kjerstad is definitely in the Santander range defensively.

Cowser’s best trait is getting good reads/jumps so I think he can be better than Hays overall. Hays has the arm and athleticism over him. Like Mackus said, Cowser can be your de facto backup CF once every week or two.

#320 RichardZ

RichardZ

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts

Posted 04 October 2023 - 07:54 AM

Cowser might be the defender and more capable of playing LF at OPACY but in the end I think they are both corner outfielders and since there are only two spots like that Kjerstad seemingly leapfrogging Cowser does affect him, in my book.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=