• Please log in to reply
388 replies to this topic

#201 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 27 September 2022 - 02:10 PM

I don't see how he's overrated or underrated.  He's a Top 5 guy that will get ML time next year, potentially a lot. Has a chance to contribute for years at minimal cost. 

#202 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,946 posts

Posted 27 September 2022 - 02:20 PM

I don't see how he's overrated or underrated.  He's a Top 5 guy that will get ML time next year, potentially a lot. Has a chance to contribute for years at minimal cost. 

Im baffled how someone can think he is underrated. Hes a top 50 prospect. He is striking out a ton and had an incredibly high BABIP for the year. Hes clearly gotten the respect, at least nationally, that the standard numbers(BA, wRC+, OPS, etc) say he deserves.

#203 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 27 September 2022 - 02:31 PM

Im baffled how someone can think he is underrated. Hes a top 50 prospect. He is striking out a ton and had an incredibly high BABIP for the year. Hes clearly gotten the respect, at least nationally, that the standard numbers(BA, wRC+, OPS, etc) say he deserves.

He’s ranked 89th by Baseball America.

He has 35 doubles, 2 triples, 19 HR, 18 stolen bases, and a 15% walk rate when you combine all levels. He plays a really solid CF. And it’s his first full season. He added power and I’m confident he can refine his approach to cut down the strikeouts enough to be a well above average regular on a contending team.

#204 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,946 posts

Posted 27 September 2022 - 02:51 PM

He’s ranked 89th by Baseball America.

He has 35 doubles, 2 triples, 19 HR, 18 stolen bases, and a 15% walk rate when you combine all levels. He plays a really solid CF. And it’s his first full season. He added power and I’m confident he can refine his approach to cut down the strikeouts enough to be a well above average regular on a contending team.

Pipeline has him 41. Fangrpahs 34. I still dont get the underrated claim. 

I know the positive things he does and I know what the standard stats are. What are they without an incredibly high BABIP.  You cant just ignore the worrisome parts of the profile. Again, Im shitting on him but Im not. I was a fan of his when drafted. Im still saying his avg outcome is Mike Yaz and a 2-0-3-0 WAR reg. 

#205 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,640 posts

Posted 27 September 2022 - 06:11 PM

IMO, it felt like a rush-job promoting Cowser to AAA. He crushed it at AA. Should've stayed there, priming for the AFL. 

#206 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,580 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 27 September 2022 - 08:44 PM

IMO, it felt like a rush-job promoting Cowser to AAA. He crushed it at AA. Should've stayed there, priming for the AFL.

They want these guys to be challenged, fail, and make adjustments. They don’t care as much about some bad numbers now if it means he’s better later.
  • CantonJester and makoman like this

#207 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,892 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 28 September 2022 - 08:01 AM

Just for context with another well-regarded LHB who touched AA and AAA this year

Gunnar AA K%: 18.3%

Gunnar AAA K%: 26.4%

Cowser AA K%: 25.4%

Cowser AAA K%: 29.2%

• BobPhelan likes this

she/her

#208 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,757 posts

Posted 28 September 2022 - 08:42 AM

Stowers was 25.6% at AAA.

Cowser's power has been playing up more than I realized. which make the Ks both a bit more explainable and a bit more acceptable.  227 ISO at AA, 216 at AAA.  That's not as much pop as Gunnar or Stowers, but its still pretty solid.

• BobPhelan likes this

#209 glenn__davis

glenn__davis

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,453 posts

Posted 28 September 2022 - 10:56 AM

Well he had a horrific start but he's been pretty solid at AAA for the past 2 weeks or so.  I think getting that is a good jump off point for him for next year.

First full year in the system.  Let him have another offseason working with the O's development team which, let's be honest, appears to be very good at what they do.

• BobPhelan likes this

#210 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,078 posts

Posted 23 February 2023 - 09:03 AM

MASN: Cowser in camp and creeping up on eventual promotion to majors

https://www.masnsports.com/blog/cowser

#211 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,892 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 04 July 2023 - 08:30 PM

He's up https://twitter.com/...402657378877440

• BobPhelan likes this

she/her

#212 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,946 posts

Posted 04 July 2023 - 08:53 PM

Can we not link twitter anymore. I guess you have to log in to view crap now. Im not creating a stupid account

#213 mdrunning

mdrunning

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,397 posts

Posted 04 July 2023 - 10:49 PM

Wonder what the corresponding moves are. If Hays remains on the active roster, the outfield is going to get pretty crowded.

#214 CantonJester

CantonJester

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,640 posts

Posted 04 July 2023 - 10:54 PM

Wonder what the corresponding moves are. If Hays remains on the active roster, the outfield is going to get pretty crowded.

My guess is McKenna heads to Norfolk. 

#215 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 July 2023 - 06:07 AM

Can we not link twitter anymore. I guess you have to log in to view crap now. Im not creating a stupid account

Source: Colton Cowser is traveling to NY to join #orioles

@mikeghg

#216 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 July 2023 - 06:09 AM

The Orioles are looking for a spark.  Let's hope Cowser comes out strong.   

I am guessing Hays goes to the IL.

@mikeghg

#217 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,757 posts

Posted 05 July 2023 - 08:27 AM

Awesome.  I expect and hope that this is for good, unless he has massive struggles and needs a refresh.  I doubt they'd do a one week emergency callup like they did with Stowers last year.

• BobPhelan and CantonJester like this

#218 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,414 posts

Posted 05 July 2023 - 08:40 AM

He started AAA 3-38. Since then has mostly killed the level, .991 OPS and 153 WRC+. He also started slow in A+. Hope we don't freak out if he has a slow week or two. Nothing is guaranteed in MLB, but seems like he adjusts.

• BobPhelan likes this

#219 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,627 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 05 July 2023 - 08:56 AM

He started AAA 3-38. Since then has mostly killed the level, .991 OPS and 153 WRC+. He also started slow in A+. Hope we don't freak out if he has a slow week or two. Nothing is guaranteed in MLB, but seems like he adjusts.

Freak out is what we do.   :-P   

Hopefully he gets out quick and provides a spark, but Elias has shown that he will give the top guys a chance to settle in,  We saw it with Adley and Gunnar.  I expect Cowser to get the same treatment.

• BobPhelan likes this
@mikeghg

#220 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,471 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 05 July 2023 - 07:55 PM

First major league hit brings a run home and was against a lefty in the Bronx. Gotta love it.
  • BobPhelan and Mike B like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=