• Please log in to reply
121 replies to this topic

#61 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,225 posts

Posted 29 July 2023 - 07:35 PM

After a starter is obtained (or they give Irvin the ball); they need to give Wells some rest. 

#62 BSLMikeLowe

BSLMikeLowe

CFB Analyst

• Moderators
  • 19,472 posts
  • LocationPortland, Oregon

Posted 29 July 2023 - 07:50 PM

Whether they shut him down or move him to the BP, this needs to be his last start of the season. Which of course means they need to acquire another starter. Pronto.

#63 BaltBird 24

BaltBird 24

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,732 posts

Posted 29 July 2023 - 09:07 PM

For a big dude, Wells flames out too quickly. Even early in the season he'd hit a drastic wall around the 6th inning.

#64 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,634 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 30 July 2023 - 03:33 AM

I am not going to knock Wells because he has done fine here, but it seems clear that he needs some down time.  Maybe 3 weeks shut down, then a brief ramp up and he can be the 27th man in September.

What was the velocity on the 4 seamer last night.

@mikeghg

#65 NewMarketSean

NewMarketSean

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,576 posts

Posted 30 July 2023 - 07:32 AM

Wells had a good first half but he never really dazzled. He gives up too many HR and can't eat innings. He's not a guy I am counting on much going forward. 

I never had friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?

#66 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,501 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 30 July 2023 - 08:56 AM

He’s a top 3 guy who is still cutting his teeth at the big league level, particularly from a workload perspective. Maybe the dog days of summer bother him too, not sure. But I’m a fan. Sucks he’s ran out of steam though.
  • Mackus likes this

#67 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 31 July 2023 - 09:34 AM

He’s a top 3 guy who is still cutting his teeth at the big league level, particularly from a workload perspective. Maybe the dog days of summer bother him too, not sure. But I’m a fan. Sucks he’s ran out of steam though.

He will be back up fairly soon. Hence the Bowie vs Norfolk move. Hopefully he gets straightened out real quick and it's nothing more serious.

@JeremyMStrain

#68 You Play to Win the Game

You Play to Win the Game

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,501 posts
  • LocationMaryland

Posted 31 July 2023 - 09:36 AM

He will be back up fairly soon. Hence the Bowie vs Norfolk move. Hopefully he gets straightened out real quick and it's nothing more serious.

I just think he hit a wall. Give him a breather. Help him reset. When he’s feeling 100% again, bring him back along.

Jeremy, curious about your take on how the Marlins are navigating this Eury Perez workload situation right now.

#69 Hooded Viper

Hooded Viper

MVP

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,672 posts

Posted 31 July 2023 - 10:02 AM

I’d put him in the BP the rest of the year, assuming they get a starter, and let him dominate for an inning or 2 each time out. Then put him back in the rotation next season.

#70 JeremyStrain

JeremyStrain

• Moderators
  • 13,378 posts
  • LocationFormerly known as allstar1579

Posted 31 July 2023 - 10:03 AM

I just think he hit a wall. Give him a breather. Help him reset. When he’s feeling 100% again, bring him back along.

Jeremy, curious about your take on how the Marlins are navigating this Eury Perez workload situation right now.

Yep, pretty much. I didn't really see it as that big of a deal honestly, he's still young and been in the back and forth category, hopefully a week or two gets him back on track and he's good. That's the thing with control pitchers though, if something gets out of whack it's really out of whack and a little harder to reset. I think he'll be ok in the end. Everybody slumps right?

That's an interesting one actually. I'm a believer in workloads, and blowing out arms being a thing (as someone who had his own blown out), so I get them being cautious with him. He's already over his previous season high, so I get if you are going to give him another 50-60 innings you want it later in the season and not in the middle. BUT those innings he's pitching in AA are still innings, and I'm sure he's still throwing his bullpens and the like down there, so they aren't really taking THAT much off his workload. I think the biggest two factors are that he's a power pitcher and the more pitches a power guy throws, the more strain that arm is under. I didn't even really need to look to know he had a slider and a curve, but he does, and those put a lot of elbow stress in when you talk about high velo and the torque required to get spin. Letting him go a little less effort could help build him up, especially when he's in that high risk elbow category. The other factor is how much do they NEED him? They've got two of my dream targets at the top of their rotation already, and their 3rd SP is no slouch either, he's the 4th starter basically and would be a 1 or 2 on most teams. With that kind of luxury, why push him?

I fully expect them to sell off one of the starters (offseason) for a major haul, and if they were smart the bats in BAL would be an ideal target to pair with that SP. They could really use a SS, or 3B, and we are stacked there.

• You Play to Win the Game likes this
@JeremyMStrain

#71 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,872 posts

Posted 31 July 2023 - 10:20 AM

I’d put him in the BP the rest of the year, assuming they get a starter, and let him dominate for an inning or 2 each time out. Then put him back in the rotation next season.

I think this is a good approach, especially if they only acquire one more RP (or none...which will make me very angry).

Will depend on how well everybody is pitching, if Wells bounces back and could start and we have an opening, then I'd use him.  I'm not concerned with an overall innings amount for him, his total isn't going to be scary even if he kept pitching.  I'm just concerned with his effectiveness while reaching those new highs.  But if we've got 5 other guys throwing well, moving him to the pen for the stretch is enticing.

• Hooded Viper and BSLRoseKatz like this

#72 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 31 July 2023 - 10:27 AM

Yeah Wells was the closer for like a month in 2021 and it went fine so I'd imagine he'd be fine with returning to the role without any major mental adjustments or whatever

she/her

#73 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,225 posts

Posted 23 August 2023 - 09:02 AM

MASN: A few more thoughts on Wells reliving his reliever days

https://www.masnspor...s-reliever-days

#74 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,634 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 23 August 2023 - 12:49 PM

MASN: A few more thoughts on Wells reliving his reliever days

https://www.masnspor...s-reliever-days

I am not sure how we find room for Wells, Means and Hall.

I think 2 of the 3 join the team by September 1.  

@mikeghg

#75 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,312 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 23 August 2023 - 01:01 PM

Fuji and Vespi go down/released. Easy peasy.

• DuffMan likes this

#76 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,270 posts

Posted 23 August 2023 - 10:01 PM

First move is likely Coulombe for Vespi. Then Wells for VOth. Hall when rosters expand.  Fuji DFAd at some point may become an opton and I agree with whoever said he may be on the outside of the playoff roster right now. But for me if you DFA Fuji you have to be sure  a guy like Baumann or Baker is better and its hard to say that right now.

The more intriguing think is what they do with Wells long term. Is he trade bait. DO you stretch him out again next spring. You probably have to do that. You need more than 5 capable SPs. 

#77 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,270 posts

Posted 30 August 2023 - 10:43 PM

Phelan you heard anything on Wells. has only thrown 2 innings in Norfolk and hasnt pitched since Fri even though there have been clear late inning high lev spots available since. Kinda worried. If they were ramping him up they would def want to throw him in back to backs or at least more often then what is now a 5 day layoff. Completely changes my outlook on him as the Sept 1 callup. Just cant believe its gonna be him throwing once in the last 5 days and only twice at Norfolk as a RP.

Pitched the 23rd and 25th in Norfolk after being transition to pen and now crickets for 5 days. Like WTF

#78 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,612 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 31 August 2023 - 06:19 AM

Phelan you heard anything on Wells. has only thrown 2 innings in Norfolk and hasnt pitched since Fri even though there have been clear late inning high lev spots available since. Kinda worried. If they were ramping him up they would def want to throw him in back to backs or at least more often then what is now a 5 day layoff. Completely changes my outlook on him as the Sept 1 callup. Just cant believe its gonna be him throwing once in the last 5 days and only twice at Norfolk as a RP.

Pitched the 23rd and 25th in Norfolk after being transition to pen and now crickets for 5 days. Like WTF

Checking on it but haven't heard anything.

#79 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,270 posts

Posted 02 September 2023 - 06:52 AM

Ill just go ahead and speculate that he is likely done for the year. Twenty some games left. He hasnt pitched in a week now. Something is up here. Best case scenario is its just arm fatigue and somehow he starts back up in a week or so and throws for a week in Norfolk before coming up the last week. I just find that unlikely. Worse case scenario he has a more serious arm problem

#80 BSLSteveBirrer

BSLSteveBirrer

Soccer Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,312 posts
  • LocationMS and ID

Posted 02 September 2023 - 08:22 AM

Hard to figure its just a tired arm. If it is then he's certainly not going to all of a sudden get some renewed energy. He's been down for a month. if he isn't back to arm strength by now it isn't happening.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=