#61 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 02 August 2021 - 11:05 AM

Been saying it for years but I really think Peralta’s stuff will play up nicely in short stints.

I tuned in to watch him a week or two ago and he was out of the game in the first inning.  I may be a jinx.

@mikeghg

#62 BSLRoseKatz

BSLRoseKatz

BSL Analyst

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,898 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 02 August 2021 - 12:04 PM

Last year's draft feels much better if you just tell yourself Westburg was the #2 pick because he's sure been hitting like it 

• BobPhelan likes this

#63 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,344 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 01:10 PM

Bring Trea back just so I can hear him spin DDs Machado trade some more. Ugh did we ever mess up '18. This is why I say Elias started with essentially no major league assets and little in the minors. Cant imagine an organization being in a worse place top to bottom than we were at the end of '18.

#64 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,972 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 02:02 PM

Taken as a whole there certainly isn't any way to look at that group of trades as anything but a disaster.

The Machado trade actually may be the one that annoys me the least (ignoring that we didn't sign him long term years before as we should've, not doing that is the single worst thing the organization has done at least since letting Mussina get away). Given the time he had left, I think a top-50 guy and a couple other org top-15ish types would've been a good return.  We got nearly that, Kremer and Bannon a little outside that range, but Diaz was right there as a top-50ish guy.  That he's struggled isn't remarkable or unexpected, a significant portion of guys in the middle of the top-100 never do anything.  It's frustrating and disappointing, but doesn't mean Diaz was a bad target by Duquette.

The Gausman trade pisses me off the most.

The two common aspects of all the trades - quantity over quality and not paying all the remaining salary to increase returns - are also wildly aggravating.

#65 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,972 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 04:20 PM

Norfolk's season actually goes until October 3rd this year.  Season running about a month longer than usual because of the late start.

Bowie, Aberdeen, and Delmarva go until Sept 19th, about two weeks later than usual.

• BobPhelan likes this

#66 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,972 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 04:31 PM

I think the later schedule for AAA is going to delay Rutschman's promotion there.  They gotta send him up at some point, but I think they'll want him to only have 4-6 weeks there at most.  if he spent 2+ months at AAA with a 1000 OPS, it'd be real hard for them to keep him down for 3 weeks to begin 2022 like they'll need to, and certainly for 10 or so weeks like they might try to for Super-2 reasons.  They don't really need to justify it, but I think most teams at least want to keep the plausible possibility that it's not purely service time manipulation.

• BobPhelan likes this

#67 NickStevens

NickStevens

HOF

• Members
  • 477 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA but the 757 is home

Posted 02 August 2021 - 05:20 PM

AAA was just extended 10 extra games to close out the season instead of a playoff. Team with the highest winning % during the final 10 game stretch gets a "prize". 

Tides adding Adley and Rodriguez for that would be something haha

@NickStevensR on Twitter.
Follow BSL's Orioles Minor League podcast on Twitter @BSLOnTheVerge and follow us on Facebook and Instagram! Just search BSL On The Verge!

#68 makoman

makoman

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,438 posts

Posted 02 August 2021 - 05:27 PM

AAA was just extended 10 extra games to close out the season instead of a playoff. Team with the highest winning % during the final 10 game stretch gets a "prize".

Tides adding Adley and Rodriguez for that would be something haha

Didn’t the Indians send a bunch of major leaguers to rehab during the playoffs one year against Frederick or Bowie, or something like that? Might have the wrong team.
  • BobPhelan and Mike B like this

#69 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 02 August 2021 - 05:43 PM

They sure did. Travis Hafner was one of them.
  • makoman likes this

#70 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,288 posts

Posted 03 August 2021 - 07:36 AM

Balt Sun: Orioles minor league report: Top pick Colton Cowser homers in debut; Kyle Stowers, Jordan Westburg stay hot

#71 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 03 August 2021 - 08:01 AM

Balt Sun: Orioles minor league report: Top pick Colton Cowser homers in debut; Kyle Stowers, Jordan Westburg stay hot

It is nice to see Cowser on the field so soon.  

• BobPhelan and Mackus like this
@mikeghg

#72 Mackus

Mackus

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 60,972 posts

Posted 03 August 2021 - 08:05 AM

It is nice to see Cowser on the field so soon.  

Yeah, likely a meaningless factor in any serious conversation between drafting hitters versus pitchers (and college versus HS), but it sure is nice to get that immediate feedback.

• BobPhelan likes this

#73 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 09 August 2021 - 11:10 AM

The 2021 draft picks arrive to the scene, bats in hand.

https://baltimorespo...-august-9-2021/

• BSLChrisStoner and Mike B like this

#74 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 09 August 2021 - 11:57 AM

It is nice to see Baumann on a roll.  I always believe in bringing a player up when he is hot.  The Orioles don't seem to care about that.

I am a little worried about Henderson.....he seems to have hit the wall at High A.   He is very young though.

• BobPhelan likes this
@mikeghg

#75 NickStevens

NickStevens

HOF

• Members
  • 477 posts
  • LocationHarrisonburg, VA but the 757 is home

Posted 10 August 2021 - 06:34 AM

Gunnar will be ok. He's 3 years younger than his competition right now and I thought it was interesting when Matt Blood told us that the pitching in High-A was a lot more advanced this year than what you typically see. I will say that every time I'm watching and say I'm going to really focus in on Henderson's defense, it's been wild and frustrating. 

But on the flip side of that, if the pitching in High-A really is much better this season, it makes me even more excited for Jordan Westburg based on how easily he's handled the level.

• BSLChrisStoner, BobPhelan, Mike B and 1 other like this
@NickStevensR on Twitter.
Follow BSL's Orioles Minor League podcast on Twitter @BSLOnTheVerge and follow us on Facebook and Instagram! Just search BSL On The Verge!

#76 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 10 August 2021 - 10:13 AM

Gunnar will be ok. He's 3 years younger than his competition right now and I thought it was interesting when Matt Blood told us that the pitching in High-A was a lot more advanced this year than what you typically see. I will say that every time I'm watching and say I'm going to really focus in on Henderson's defense, it's been wild and frustrating. 

But on the flip side of that, if the pitching in High-A really is much better this season, it makes me even more excited for Jordan Westburg based on how easily he's handled the level.

In retrospect, I wonder if they had been better off having Henderson spend more time at low A.  I have watched him a few times and in one of the games, he seemed to really having problems on breaking pitches.

@mikeghg

#77 BSLChrisStoner

BSLChrisStoner

Owner

• Administrators
  • 156,288 posts

Posted 10 August 2021 - 10:22 AM

Nah, better to be in High A being challenged.  

Enough time left in this season where he figures to have a hot spell.  If that happens, and he looks good next Spring... send him to AA. 

If he struggles down the stretch, send him back to High A to begin '22.  My guess if that happens, is that he'll earn his way to Bowie rather quickly.

• glenn__davis, BobPhelan, Mike B and 1 other like this

#78 Mike B

Mike B

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 37,642 posts
  • LocationTowson Md.

Posted 10 August 2021 - 10:40 AM

Nah, better to be in High A being challenged.  

Enough time left in this season where he figures to have a hot spell.  If that happens, and he looks good next Spring... send him to AA. 

If he struggles down the stretch, send him back to High A to begin '22.  My guess if that happens, is that he'll earn his way to Bowie rather quickly.

That sounds right.  I am a believer in promoting guys when they are hot, and he was smoking at Delmarva.  We have so much riding  on these prospects, it is always concerning to see the key ones struggle.

@mikeghg

#79 BobPhelan

BobPhelan

OTV

• Moderators
  • 14,615 posts
  • LocationBel Air, MD

Posted 10 August 2021 - 01:55 PM

Struggling is part of the process, gonna have to learn to adjust eventually.
  • makoman likes this

#80 TwentyThirtyFive

TwentyThirtyFive

HOF

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,344 posts

Posted 10 August 2021 - 02:37 PM

See how he finishes. No real concern if he starts next year in Aberdeen again. Where is his long term position. Corner OF? 3b?

How is Westburgs defense at SS?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Our Sponsors

width=